1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Singapore guitar shops

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Capel, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Capel

Capel Tele-Holic

Woohoo - I'm off to Singapore saturday for a week. After I get outta the Changi Hilton what guitar shops should I check out???

2. Dirty Steve

Dirty Steve Tele-Holic

Then you'll probably want to go to the mall at the Excelsior Hotel (5 Coleman Street), which is near the Funan computer mall. Closest MRT station is City Hall.

There are a bunch of guitar stores in that oldish mall, most of them at the basement level. Should keep you going for a while.

Swee Lee Music also has a pretty big store, but it's a little difficult to reach unless you know your way around.

3. Dirty Steve

Dirty Steve Tele-Holic

Just found this link for a more exhaustive list.

4. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yeah, I recall all the cool shops being in the basement of the Excelsior. We 'lived' in Clarke Quay, which was a 15 minute walk, so that's where I went most often. If he's still there, George at 777 was a good egg. There were a couple 'grocery-musical-instrument-stores', as well, but I never found them all that interesting.

If you're inclined, there was a great Irish pub in downstairs in Chijmes, a block or two from the Excelsior, called Father Flanigans, had the best beef & Guiness pie and Fish-n-chips I found in my two months there. Epheseus, on the ground floor, had a wicked Turkish lunch, too. Plenty of other great eats in Sing, that's for sure.

5. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I lived there for almost a year about 15 years ago now (can't believe it was that long ago). I'd go back in a heartbeat.

I'm sure its changed and grown like crazy, but its a great place. Make sure you go to some hawker centres and eat like a local. Check out Muthu's Curry if you can... their curried fish head is awesome. I loved the zoo, and the whole place... man you're making me want to go back even worse! :D

Enjoy it!

6. marshman

Yeah, as local eats go, you gotta hit a street cafe thing--Newton's Circus, I think it's called, is the prime candidate. Any Amg Mo should be able to tell you how to get there.

We were there for a few weeks (5, I think), but we were supposed to be living there. About 15 seconds before we signed a lease, the firm decided my wifes' talents would be better utilized in Hong Kong, so that was where we ended up for almost a year. We're very seriously considering returning this fall, a week or so in each. We do miss it, that's for sure!

7. Capel

Capel Tele-Holic

Cheers peoples, especially Steve....

8. Capel

Capel Tele-Holic

Well, that certainly did keep me busy... found another 4 shops in the Bras Basah complex & am gonna check out Swee Lee tomorrow... haven't bought anything yet (not a lot of cheep stuff really) but I did try out a HH Am deluxe tele that was pretty nice, and a 2nd hand LP (chambered though & the electronics were dodgy)

9. BloozeGit

BloozeGit Tele-Meister

How did I miss this thread? :eek:

Swee Lee is probably the Guitar Center of Singapore. Biggest selection but biggest prices too. The most accessible branch would be at Bras Basah, where you'll also find Ranking Music and Blackwood on the same floor just opposite. Interestingly, they have some of the same stuff Swee Lee has at different prices.

If you haven't checked out Excelsior Hotel/Peninsula Plaza yet:

- Guitar 77 is where I usually hang out. A tad claustrophobic but some interesting pieces there and cool folks.

- Guitar Connection has the hip vintage stuff but the guy that runs it has a bad rep. Caveat emptor.

- Music Theme has some Fender Japan and Epis, otherwise they mostly sell budget imports.

- Davis Guitar has PRS, Hofner, Takamine and some other brands worth looking at. Though they have long been the subject of complaints from locals about service, I imagine you'll have it better as a tourist.

- Maestro deal mostly in acoustics assembled in Singapore. As unbiased as I can be for a Singaporean, I'd say they're decent. They also carry some nice Blueridge specimens,

Not too far off is Selegie Road:

- In Parklane Shopping Center, Guitar Gallery has the big ticket items from Fender and Gibson at big prices too, as well as some high-end acoustics.

- Maestro has another branch here.

- Sinamex is the Taylor distributor, but their offerings have been meager of late. Might have changed since, worth a trip if you're there already.

- Further down the road at Peace Centre, City Music has Martins, Line6 and Ovation.

10. BloozeGit

BloozeGit Tele-Meister

Food-wise, avoid Newton Circus. Sorry to say it folks but it's a tourist trap. East Coast Park hawker centre or Lao Pa Sat will probably have better deals on seafood and satay (sort of like mini-kebabs) if that's what you're after.

For Western cuisine, Brewerkz at Riverside Point is good with great beer to match.

There are great places to eat in Little India if you're adventurous, a start is to drop at the MRT station and ask for Jaggi's. If you're looking for something unsanitised and non-touristy, Geylang is where it's at for food and chaotic street life but you need someone to bring you around. Don't go there with the missus.

Drop me an email at victorchen(at)pacific(dot)net(dot)sg if you're up for the local eats or nightlife.

11. tjalla

tjalla Friend of Leo's

BloozeGit knows where its at. Capel, you can spend the whole day just at the Excelsior/Peninsula basement. Davis Music is great for CIJ Fenders, Edwards and cool-but-not-too-expensive pedals (Carl Martin/Maxon/T-Rex). The Seymour Duncans almost half Aussie prices.

Swee Lee's Showroom isn't hard to find - 3rd Level of Bras Basah complex. The custom shop room (Fender/Gibson) has tasty toys. See if the copper esquire is still there if you have $6k lying around. But their MIM/Epiphone range is ok too, a bit cheaper than Perth.

The boutique amps/pedals at Blackwood will knock you sideways (Bad Cat/Carr etc). Its a small shop run by enthusiasts, so they bring it alot of the current stuff that gets talked about at TGP. Priced accordingly, however.

In fact, if you're after something specific best let me or BloozeGit know. You can end up chasing your tail with option overload. While all the shops are walkable from the next, doing the whole 'circuit' (Bras Basah>Excelsior>Selegie Rd) is a decent hike. Cabs are plentiful and cheap.

Peruse classifieds for used gear before heading over at www.soft.com.sg

12. marshman

BloozeGit--I kinda though that was the point, to hit the tourist traps, at least as far as eats go. I'll make a note, though.

Anyway, Brewerkz does make some some pretty good eats (at least they did 4 years ago when I was there), and we lived right across the river...has anyone else taken a crack at brew-pubbing there in Sing yet? Do they still have a decent Mexican place next door?

13. Capel

Capel Tele-Holic

Cheers bluesgit & Trev.... I'm gonna need another week here just to get thru it all (maybe if I cough a bit & start to oink....) :)

14. voxboy

voxboy Tele-Meister

hi bllozegit,

fellow guitar head from singapore, but living in dublin.

if u don'tmind me asking, how much do Fender japan models go for in Sing ? ..dont see too many of them in europe - either MIM ir american ....

been looking for a 72 Tele Deluxe Japan model, to be precise ...

thanks in advance.

15. absherlock

absherlock NEW MEMBER!

This was quite helpful. I am looking for an acoustic guitar within a range till 250. Can you suggest if i shall find anything within this range at Davis / Swee Lee. I also noticed a shop at level 4 junction 8 at Bishan, any idea for that? Any feedback on this shop Echo at selegie road? Thanks again for your previous posts

16. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

this thread brings memories of walking around Singapore music shops looking for a guitar in 1978.... :)
    I only had a 100 to spare as I was on my way back to Oz after 2 1/2 yrs on the road... bucks were short...
    I carried it in a soft bag across Java to bali and then flew home...

It's still on the wall right beside me.. and was a good purchase way back then when I knew very little about guitars...... Ibanez vintage series , solid top, it has a very fender C like neck profile too... it's easy to swap between it and the tele with out changing string spacings at either end..:cool:

I wouldn't recognise Singapore today....:rolleyes:

Good luck with your search...:)

Attached Files:

17. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

I got this Zombie in a net.

You can find tonnes of acoustic guitars at your budget in Singapore. Go to online forums such as soft.com where folks buy and sell gear, as Trevor pointed out whilst he wasn't a zombie.

Davis guitars at Peninsula Plaza has those in that budget.

I do not know any shop at Bishan, but I have not been to Bishan Junction 8 in years.

Echo seems close everytime I pass it by.

Don't be afraid to walk around the 3 guitar centres in SG, they being PoMo-Selegie-Peace Centre, Bras Brasah Complex and Peninsula-Excelsior. Spend a day at each if you have to! Go into each one and inquire about their wares.

I don't either!

And Swee Lee really isn't the place to get your dream guitar. Its the biggest music store in town, but that's all it has going for them. I do hope they change their style of running a business.

18. absherlock

absherlock NEW MEMBER!

:p thanks man! appreciate ur pointers

19. Capel

Capel Tele-Holic

Damn! Seeing this thread resurrected makes me want to go back there!! (I can still taste the "butterflies" from the pastry place at Viva just near the monorail station!!)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.