Since AO 60's are gone. What are my options?

JLC 10char

TDPRI Member
I've been hunting for and even trying to order an American Original 60's Tele in Sunburst and it's a no go. One store offered to take full payment up front, but mentioned it may take more than a year.

Given the 4 year cycle, maybe they're truly discontinued.

Is custom shop my only option for those specs?

horax

Tele-Afflicted
I’d do an ultra series. Nicer than the AO, but I am a HUGE AO fan.

There will be another vintage line soon, but I’m not sure when. I know this for a fact as I have friends that work in the F factory.

The ultras have a slinkier feel and are more technologically advanced.

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
Ultras are excellent modern Teles but probably not what someone who wants vintage specs is looking for.
True except the AO strayed a bit from vintage specs with the 9.5 radius. I was just saying what I would consider.
I assume Fender will replace it with a new American “vintage” line soon. I’d probably wait for that to occur.

doctymie

Tele-Meister
I'd go with the AV64 or AV62 models (post 2012) personally. You can find them on Reverb in the 1700-2200 range. They're probably going to have some dings because of the nitro finish. My 64AV is my favorite tele (avatar)

Slammintone

TDPRI Member
I just unloaded a mint AO Lake Placid Blue towards a Custom Shop Telecaster. They’re out there. And they’re worth the wait!

Telepi

Friend of Leo's
I just bought a Jason Isbell Tele. I've gone through AV's, AO's and various Custom Shop Teles. This one is right up there with them.

Bangdapoontwang

Tele-Meister
Plenty of good builders out there, and you can get something more specific as far as pickups, neck shape, radius, etc.
CAD9A723-87B7-410C-8800-52152AA97F7F.jpeg

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Imma let y’all in on a l’il secret.
Fender rotates production color options every couple years.
Oh, you’re one of the folks thinking they discontinued a model they’ve been selling for 70+ years?
When Fender says “Discontinued” they mean new (reissued) colors coming.

Ever buy bar soap? Or Kleenex? Or running shoes?
The packaging changes to catch your eye when you are shopping. Same soap.

If Fender “discontinues” a color you like you can get over 30 Fender colors on the Mod Shop and half dozen neck and pickup options for a third the cost of CS and they’re made in Corona.

IrishBread69

Tele-Meister
Imma let y’all in on a l’il secret.
Fender rotates production color options every couple years.
Oh, you’re one of the folks thinking they discontinued a model they’ve been selling for 70+ years?
When Fender says “Discontinued” they mean new (reissued) colors coming.

Ever buy bar soap? Or Kleenex? Or running shoes?
The packaging changes to catch your eye when you are shopping. Same soap.

If Fender “discontinues” a color you like you can get over 30 Fender colors on the Mod Shop and half dozen neck and pickup options for a third the cost of CS and they’re made in Corona.

But you can't get those with a nitro finish and true vintage specs (neck radius aside).

I agree with you fundamentally. There is a new line coming which will essentially be a refresh of the same thing but the mod shop is apples and oranges.

h4ck.b0x7

Tele-Afflicted
I've been hunting for and even trying to order an American Original 60's Tele in Sunburst and it's a no go. One store offered to take full payment up front, but mentioned it may take more than a year.

Given the 4 year cycle, maybe they're truly discontinued.

Is custom shop my only option for those specs?
I have a LPB I would part with.