1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Simple stage light suggestions, anyone?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Kerry Vance, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Kerry Vance

Kerry Vance Tele-Meister

We play a few venues where it would be nice to have some small and simple lighting. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm talking about something inexpensive and quick to set up - maybe lights that could be put in small wooden boxes and left at ground level. We're too old and lazy to mess with trusses, a bunch of wiring and controllers. Just looking for maybe a couple of colors. I've looked at a few options, but would rather hear from someone who can say, "this is what we use and it works for us." Thanks in advance.

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

we have a smallish and very light truss system that is not heavy and not much of a hassle. I think you need light from above... from below will make you look scary, from above--> young, happy and unwrinkled.

3. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

Two 8.5 In. Incandescent Clamp Lights, one clamped on each PA Cabinet aiming back at the band each loaded with a GE 60W Yellow Bug Light.

It works surprisingly well and hey, no flies on me! :lol:

[​IMG]

4. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

You can get light kits for peaty darn cheep.
    American DJ Par 46 Kits are like $35-$39, you get the par can, 200 watt bulb, 4 colored gels, and hanger. Buy a few of those and a stand for each side of the stage and just plug them into their own 20 amp plug and your good to go. With the Par 46 200 watt cans, they aren't so bright that you would need a dimmer pack, just plug them in and leave them.
    [​IMG]

5. JCSouthpawtele

JCSouthpawtele Friend of Leo's

Get some of these.
    build yourself a box that looks like the wedge monitors you like and mount the light inside and get some metal mesh grill material and run the wire plug out the side, fit up agaist the monitors on stage for a look that fits in with the layout, kind of stealth and is cool on the cheap if you are good with a hand saw and black paint. I've built some with a flat style wall light switch from the hardware store and mounted them on the side to hit with your boot to turn on as a spot during a solo.

6. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a very simple 4 light set up that mounts on top of a PA cab and flashes in time to the music - not too big and distracting but just interesting enough not to be boring. I've also got two spotlights mounted on cheap tripods that can go wherever you want them.

Simple and quite cheap and dead easy to transport and set up.

7. Dave Hopping

Dave Hopping Friend of Leo's

Kerry-
    Here ya go.......Held together by hardware-store latches and carried by an old amp handle.Electrical outlets on the boxes and the foot controller.The stomp switches in a row turn the individual pairs of colors on and off.The one by itself is a master.The outlets on the boxes connect to the panel with double-male plugs on zipcord ;the panel connects to the wall from the all-black outlet via another length of zipcord with male plugs.All the zipcords,switches,plugs,and outlets are color-coded to match the lightbulbs for easy setup.There's a LOT of panel-to-lightbox zipcord-2 bundles of 4 25' lengths.I didn't think to shrink-wrap the bundles before putting the plugs on,so I'm making do with electrical tape on the bundles every few feet.

If your mains-plus-subwoofer stacks are high enough,something like this will sit nicely on top(maybe with the aid of a couple of milk crates-the musician's all-purpose spacer/amp stand/small stuff carrier).If your PA is different,you can put eyebolts in the boxes and hang them from the ceiling.
    A little on the Rube Goldberg side but it was cheap and simple to build,with off the shelf components,it packs up into a small,light,portable package,and it does the job just fine.Throws as much light as you need where you need it.

Attached Files:

8. Kerry Vance

Kerry Vance Tele-Meister

Dave, that's pretty close to what I was thinking about. It looks like you've got it figured out. Sometimes we get stuck playing in a corner with no specific lighting and really no room for a lighting truss or anything elaborate. Something like this should work. Thank you.

9. asatfan

asatfan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Fret, I love the clamp on idea! And bug lites? Genius. We do a duo quite often, and sometimes we're outside at night....that's perfect.

10. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.