1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Simple Sparkle Story

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Peltogyne, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Friend of Leo's

After having pretty good success with a Duplicolor/Minwax rattle can job I wanted to finish something else. I really like sparkles so I'm going to do my first sparkle job.

I don't have spray equipment and don't want the hassle and smell of doing rattle cans again so I'm going to try a brush on finish. Here's a pic of the test on a stick.

This is poplar sanded with 220, then 2 coats of Duplicolor grey sandable primer. Then using a cheap metal utility brush I did 3 coats of clear filled with .004 holo flake followed by about 6 coats of clear with no flakes. Then wet sanded with 600, 1000 and then 2 grades of polish. I did the test with a horrible brush to see how easy it was to level and did a rushed finish to see how forgivable it will be. The guitar will get more attention. I'm happy with the test.

The clear is General Finishes High Performance water based gloss. It has acrylic and urethane.

From this quick test I think if I use a nice foam brush and do some leveling between coats and pay a little more attention I think I'll get a good finish for minimal effort. I'll post more pics as they happen.

Attached Files:

2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I guess the final sand /polish tells the tale....;)

as long as it cures and doesn't shrink if it's too thick all at once the finish should be no different than spraying after it's polished up.... and less fumes...

My simple sparkle job was sprinkled into the spray can clear coats like pixie dust out in the open breeze,,.. twixt thumb and forefinger..from of a small 1"x 1" tester bag of holo flake ... I wasn't sure how much to put in....

over metallic blue.... looks great in the sunlight...:cool:

Attached Files:

3. Peltogyne

Cool, I'm thinking of a blue base coat for this project also. Is that a textured finish? Hard to tell in the photos.

4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

no, it's blocked sorta flat and polished..it's had a few cans of clear over to cover the flakes...

the metallic wasn't sanded... it had a silver base coat underneath as well.., my first colour/flake body spray attempt.....:)

A "mitsubishi" cyan blue metallic.. duplicolor touch up can,,;)...

Attached Files:

5. Peltogyne

I got a few coats on so here's some more pics. Please keep in mind I'm going for cheap and easy here. First a shot of the unmolested donor, an ESP 28.5 inch scale 5 string bass. And a shot of the body with Duplicolor black sandable primer.

Attached Files:

6. Peltogyne

And now the magic begins. 4 coats of BRUSHED ON holo flake sparkles. I bought 1 ounce of .004 flake, used about 1/10 of that to mix up some sparkle paint and used less than half of that to get 4 coats on this little guy, coming in way under budget on glitter :)

I'm considering this my base coat, there is no color coat, it's clear on primer. After Thanksgiving I'm going to add some blue/green .008 flake on top before the clear coats. I'm thinking I want the blue flakes to cover about 50% and let some black and holo shine through.

In these pics you can notice the flake is going on with some grain from the brushing. Definitely not as smooth as spraying but I kind of like it and it's marbly goodness. Unfortunately I won't really know how that will look until I finish polishing it. I'm going to try and make the blue flake less streaky.

Attached Files:

7. Peltogyne

I'm now waiting for the final clear coats to cure :)

I did order .008 aqua flakes but was sent .004 instead, instead of dealing with it I just used the smaller flake. At first I was going to do aqua over the holo flake but ended up just mixing the 2 together and added coats until I was happy with the coverage. I only used 1/10 of an ounce of aqua flakes to cover the body and headstock. I've seen threads where people suggest getting 2 ounces of flake for one guitar, even though I didn't do a full coverage I think 2 ounces maybe a bit much.

Attached Files:

8. Peltogyne

I'm pretty happy with brushing the flake on. It seems to use a lot less flake and the lack of spraying or sprinkling makes it a much simpler and neater job, especially living in an apartment with no shop.

A downside of brushing is the texture and lack of evenness in the flake. I left some black undercoat showing to give more of a teal color but I think if I did a full cover with the flake the texture wouldn't be an issue.

Attached Files:

9. Peltogyne

Since I was using a foam brush I was having a lot of problems with air bubbles. After half a dozen or so clear coats of General Finishes High Performance water based gloss with no sparkles I did some leveling with 600 wet and it was revealing some tiny holes in the finish. This could have been from sanding through to the sparkle layers (likely) but I was worried that it might be bubbles from the brush and wouldn't sand out.

I panicked and went to a minwax lacquer top coat in a spray can. I was very pleased with that from my last finish. I did some tests on scrap a few weeks earlier and it seems to work very well on top of the water based poly/acrylic. So I block sanded everything nice and smooth and put about a can and a half on the body and headstock.

So now it's curing and I'm expecting it to sand and polish decently. I only have some orange peel to level and then polish.

Attached Files:

10. Peltogyne

As long as I'm doing a refinish I thought I'd deal with those tiny side dots I can barely see. I drilled them out and replaced them with giganto-dots made with pearl powder and crazy glue.

Attached Files:

tvvoodoo likes this.
  11. Rano Bass

Rano Bass Tele-Holic

Nice job on the side dots!

12. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Nice sparkle job! What is this pearl powder you used?

13. Peltogyne

14. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Pearl additive, thanks.

15. Peltogyne

The headstock polished up real nice. As long as you don't look too close or for too long.

The holo flake only seems to light up under very bright lights or the right angles but the aqua sparkles in most light. I like the way that works.

Attached Files:

16. Peltogyne

Finally done! This sparkle stuff is hard to photograph. I got some deep scratches in the body so I shot a few more coats. This time I started wet sanding at 1000 instead of 600 and it came out much better than it was before. Considering how little effort I put into this job I'm pleased with the results. I should have put more time into leveling the original finish underneath though.

[​IMG]

17. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Very Nice

18. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

That looks great.

I agree that the prep work is so important. Even if the guitar will be glittered with honking-big particles the base needs to be smooth. I thought Glitter would hide some imperfections in a body I'm working on now, but not really.

The sparkle you used on this one looks really cool. Nice color. Nice job.

19. Peltogyne

Thanks for the compliments guys :) I had a lot of fun with the sparkles. And I learned a lot from reading here first, especially your Emeraldcaster tread Bucko.

20. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

I think that your on to something here ! Nice technique , it may even be marketable ?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.