1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Simple question, is it more about the amp than the guitar?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by ReaL Madras, Jul 3, 2012.

1. ReaL Madras

ReaL Madras Tele-Afflicted

Well is it, or is the primary sound from the guitar?

2. originalmatthew

originalmatthew Tele-Holic

The amp can only amplify the signal you send it. It can and will color that signal, but not to the extent that an amp will make a crappy sounding guitar sound good. IMO. I'm sure others will disagree but <shrugs>

3. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I disagree with originalmatthew. Much of what you hear from an electric guitar/amp combo is the amp. A mediocre guitar can sound spectacular through a great amp. A great guitar will absolutely sound bad through a bad amp.

Nearly any guitar sounds spectacular through a cranked AC30, for instance.

4. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I mostly agree with Wayne. Of course the playability of the guitar comes into play as well as the parts but overall I think the amp is more important.

5. PsychedelicTrip

PsychedelicTrip Tele-Meister

I think it'll always be a combination. I'm not Terry Jacks but bah bah bah bahhhhhh. Okay I'm not even that good but it's always going to be a combination of this and that, time and space, why didn't the Castaways kill Gilligan when they had their chance and most importantly the set up of the guitar, the pick selection, string gauge/tension, how many beers are left in the fridge, for that matter how many donuts, and whether or not a really hot person of the contrary gender is in the same room making googoo eyes at you. You see it really doesn't matter as Bill Murray once said. Get yourself the best guitar, best amp but if you don't have enough of the pre-mentioned necessities, all is for not. It's the singer not the song that make the music move along come on and bte bottles play slide better than cansssssssss....We now return to your normal broadcast.

6. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

nail on head

7. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I've just completed a Partscaster Tele with Tonerider Vintage Classics. Sounds great, I know Ïm bragging,but it sounds go on my Randall transistor a'mp and on my Fender valve amp. I think a guitar sounds good if built right- afterall the amp only magnifies a guitars sound.

8. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

P.S. On that note, ( no pun intended), many a guitar will sound great in the hands of a great player.

9. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

A good amp always helps. Nothing like playing a top shelf guitar through a 10 watt Gorilla to inspire and take you to the next level :rolleyes:

Back to the primary sound thing. I'm going with player

10. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

Let's add another angle to the discussion.

Which is easier/more difficult: To get a classic Vox tone from a Fender or to coax a Les Paul tone from a Telecaster?

11. taxer

taxer Banned

99% amp, 1% guitar.

And it's easy to prove that, too.
    Take a great guitar and play it through a VOX AC30 and then play it through a $70 Crate starter amp. Same guitar, why does it sound better in the VOX?

You can also take a great guitar and a $100 starter guitar and play them both through, say, an AC30. You will find very little difference between the two sounds.

I have done this. My top guitar (a White Falcon) and my worst (a Squier Bullet) and I played them in my AC30. Though they do obviously sound different (hollow body vs. Strat quack), they both sound professional. $100 guitar vs. $3,000 guitar and the tone is professional from both. It is the amp, not the guitar that provides professional tone.

12. Telarkaster

Telarkaster Friend of Leo's

Short answer: yes

I always thought it was 75% amp and 25% guitar but I won't argue with Taxer.

A good guitar through a bad amp will sound bad. A bad guitar through a good amp will at least sound interesting, if not good.

My silverfaced Twin makes all my guitars sound not only good, but different from each other. The individual qualities of each guitar really shine through.

13. Lee Harvey

Lee Harvey Banned

Quickest way to sell a 100 guitar is plug into a 3000 dollar amp..

It's a guitar store sales tactic...

14. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn't put a % on it but tone is definitely a formula:

guitar+player+amp=tone

good guitar+good player+good amp= great tone and sound (IMHO)

15. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

Don't trust this guy, he's from Riverside....weird stuff goes down there.

(UC Riverside grad here! ;))

In all seriousness, though, I think the amp is probably the most important "voicing" component in the chain, with guitar being a close second.

16. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

The amp. It's part of the instrument as a whole. The player is more important than both of them though.:cool:

17. moondogz

moondogz Tele-Holic

First the amp, then the rest...imo.

18. Twinkie

Twinkie Tele-Meister

For me, the amp is the other "half" of the instrument.

My dearly departed mentor had a 61 Super 400C that sounded great until he plugged it in. I think the story here is he was not really an electric player whatsoever. So for him it was about the guitar and it being an acoustic instrument. I tried to talk with him about the idea of getting a Johnny Smith style floating pickup and nice tube amp to go with, but he wouldn't have it. He'd say too much "Atom Smashing".

Pete Townsend was a famous player who stated that his choice of guitars were based on what suited his Hiwatt amps best. It would seem to me that this doesn't make a whole lot of sense in that he used every major guitar with his amps, Rickenbackers, Telecasters, Stratocasters, SGs, and Les Pauls. Did ever find the right guitar to go with his amps? But I guess he's an Amp Guy.

As one nice gentleman has said here, the AC30 is a great amp and many a guitar sound great plugged into that great Vox design. Personally I tend to gravitate to my one of my vintage Princeton Reverb Amps as my go to amp. Just about anything I plug into one my Princetons sounds great. I guess that makes me an "Amp Guy".

On the other hand I have a 1960 Telecaster that I have hot rodded to my own specs and just any good amp I plug it into the guitar sounds great. So I guess this makes me a "Guitar Guy".

As players of electric guitar, we should consider the amp as the half of the equation. In our quest for that sound we're looking for, sometimes we find the guitar first and other times we find the amp first. Thereafter we look for what goes with the other. And this experience repeats over and over. That is why we love guitars and amps.

Whatever be your history, let the quest continue.

19. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

Hey fezzbo... what's with the george goble?

20. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

I love me some Gobel. :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.