1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Simple PT question

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by chadtorts, Apr 25, 2020.

1. chadtorts

chadtorts NEW MEMBER!

Hey everyone!

I'm working on a 5e3 build, and ran into what seems like a very basic question, but one that I'm having trouble searching for an answer to.

I'm using the Mojo756ex transformer, and the wiring diagram has the primary leads as White 120V and Black 0V. I was under the impression that the PT primary leads were interchangeable, but this diagram would make me believe that one is hot and one is neutral.

Can anyone give me some clarity here? I know it may sound dumb, but if I follow the diagram, I'm hooking up the black hot lead from the power chord to the white PT primary wire, and the neutral white power chord to the black PT primary wire, and that just doesn't feel right hahaha.

Thanks all!

2. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

You're right. The 120V primaries are interchangeable, and you can do white to white so things look nice. But there's no electrical reason, it just keeps things simple visually.

The EX means you have other primaries, though, and so they had to pick one end to wire/terminate as 0V, and they chose black. Heh, maybe in this case black means 'common.' Still, if you were wiring for 240V, you could wire *either* the black or the black/red to your household hot. Make sense?

upload_2020-4-25_13-2-11.png

Wally and dan40 like this.
  3. chadtorts

chadtorts NEW MEMBER!

That makes total sense, thank you for the background info on why! Now I can move forward without the crippling fear and doubt of wiring the PT wrong hahaha.

Thank you so much!

King Fan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.