Simple power supply solution

paperman

TDPRI Member
Hi guys,
my pedalboard consists of 6 pedals: TS808, Big Muff Green Russian reiss., T-Rex Tremster, MXR Carbon Copy, TC Elec. Ditto and the DSM Simplifier.
All 9 volt pedals and all analog (except x the Ditto) with total low power required (100mA x the Ditto, 100 mA x the Simplifier, less than 50 mA for all others).
Now, I need a power supply but I don't know, for example, if I really need an isolated 6-output box (will have to fit my Nano+ pedalboard) or a simple daisy chain switching power supply (would the Simplifier need more quality?).
If helpful for your suggestions I only play at home.
Thank you,
Alberto

Edgar Allan Presley

Friend of Leo's
On the other hand, if you only play at home, cheap out. Buying pedals is more fun than power supplies. You could try a OneSpot daisy chain and see how it works. You could daisy chain all but the Simplifier and use a Boss PSA for that one separately. If you're noticing rippling noise or something, you could upgrade.

I go with all of the above: a Nano+ board is powered by an MXR mini Iso-Brick and it works well. A Pedaltrain Jr board is powered by a Voodoo Lab power brick and an 18 volt Fulltone supply powering two pedals on a daisy chain. Also works well. And I have a OneSpot daisy chain for gigs when I don't use either board but want a couple pedals on the floor (usually acoustic guitar or fiddle gigs). Also works well, though not with every pedal combination.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
If it were me, I'd go to Thomann and buy the cheapest suitable power supply with daisy chain they have (Harley Benton or whatever they have) and try it out, it's likely only going to be €10 or €15 and if it doesn't work with your pedals, it will still be handy for powering single pedals or whatever ... either way, it's no big loss. (you could send it back obviously too)

If you do find you need an isolated supply then you can look into that then, but for home use I wouldn't go spending a lot of money, it just doesn't make any sense to me. ... unless you are rich and don't have to worry about money.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
would this fit under your board?

It's says it's 25mm thick

It has 8x isolated outputs of 500mA

tomasz

Tele-Holic
would this fit under your board?

It's says it's 25mm thick

It has 8x isolated outputs of 500mA
+1 on the powerplant, I'm running a powerplant iso-2 on one of my boards. The other one has a powertrain, just because I had it first.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I just use 2 wall warts daisychained for 6-8 similar pedals. I used one for 5 pedals. Never had an issue.
I do have a big power supply that I have thought about installing. These are cheap and powerful. Got mine for $25 used. Maybe 2.5" tall though.

39294.jpg

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
+1 on the powerplant, I'm running a powerplant iso-2 on one of my boards. The other one has a powertrain, just because I had it first.

It looks really impressive for the money. I have a Cioks that I paid a lot for, it's been really good but at the time I was using a lot of pedals and playing out, these days I don't do either. I wouldn't even think about buying one now.

paperman

TDPRI Member
buy the cheapest suitable power supply with daisy chain

Step one: I bought a cheap Donner daisy-chain power supply unit.
Unfortunately, it gives an alternating hissing, both by connecting all the pedals and by connecting only one at a time (less intense in this case).
So, is the Donner too cheap and should I move to more solid brands (OneSpot, etc.) or directly to an isolated power supply?

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
You are getting hiss?

Not buzzing or low level hum?

Do you still get hiss when all the pedals are bypassed?

One spots can be noisy too, in my experience it really depends on the pedals not the power supply.

I've had 10 boss pedals on a 1spot chain with no issues and 4 or 5 EHX/mxr/etc that made a hell of a noise.

paperman

TDPRI Member
You are getting hiss?

One spots can be noisy too, in my experience it really depends on the pedals not the power supply.

I've had 10 boss pedals on a 1spot chain with no issues and 4 or 5 EHX/mxr/etc that made a hell of a noise.
Yes, an alternating hissing noise (sine wave type) can be heard from the speaker, with all the pedals bypassed. When I switch on one or all pedals the hiss increases.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
You are getting hiss?

Mixing digital and analog on the daisy-chain is where I get noise problems. And the EHX Soul Food was nasty on a chain, which was explained to me as being the charge pump in it.

OP, you might just need a couple of OneSpot supplies for quiet home use. You can test this yourself. Just experiment by trying out your pedal chain, one pedal at a time. I’d place your Russian Muff first. Then add the OD, plug in, check, repeat.

You might find the noise is just in yer head.

And yes, Donner makes junk.

Wooly Fox

Tele-Meister
Nothing wrong with investing in a Gigrig Generator and adding modules as you need them. Works anywhere and uses a typical IC connector power lead (kettle lead or one used for PC power supplies).

As it's modular you can add on blocks as you need them so start with the generator and a distributor block to start with then add an isolator block for your analogue pedals (isolated is necessary for analogue pedals to remove earth loops).

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
Another vote for the Voodoo Labs supplies. No issues in a few years of gigging, both analog and digital pedals on the board (buffered wah, old Boss modulation pedals, digital delays).

Daisy chaining can work if you separate the analog from digital pedals on different supplies, and if you are careful to stay within the designed output current of the supplies. It was easier and simpler in the long run for me to just get a solid isolated supply. Makes reconfiguring the board easy.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
again: a battery power supply, like the Volto, could help to solve the issue? or is it still a daisy chain anyway......?
I think you'd be better with the Harley Benton model for around the same price. I'd buy this one with the grounded power supply.

Vocalion

Tele-Meister
+1 on the MXR power supplies (either the Iso-Brick or the Mini Iso-Brick). Isolated power in a small package for fitting under small pedalboards.

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I have a Donner power supply. It cost $40. I've used it constantly for the past 4 years and it works flawlessly. I faced the same question as you when I started out. Everyone everyone everyone insisted you have to spend at least $150-200 on a decent power supply. When I just had a few pedals I used the OneSpot, which costs around $25. When I got up to 8-9 pedals I upgraded to the $40 Donner. Maybe some day I'll regret it. Who knows. But it has been 100% rock solid, absolutely quiet, and I am totally happy with it.