Simple multi-effects stomp pedal

sax4blues

Poster Extraordinaire
I searched for existing threads but couldn’t find anything that quite answered my question.

I’m interested in a very basic multi-effects pedal that has: OD, Tuner, Delay, Reverb. I like the demos of the Alien Analog Rumble Seat but it doesn’t appear to have a tuner.

I play blues and jazzy stuff (Scofield) so I don’t need anything too elaborate. I like delay sometimes, but just a very slight analog delay or tape echo.

When I say simple, I mean four stomp buttons with a couple knobs for each effect. Anything out there I should consider?
Is it ok to ask what the goal is? I have both multi-HX Stomp and pedal board. My pedal board is simple; OD, Tuner, Delay, Reverb, and not really any bigger than many of the suggested multi's. What do you want from the multi which the pedal board cannot provide?

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Is it ok to ask what the goal is? I have both multi-HX Stomp and pedal board. My pedal board is simple; OD, Tuner, Delay, Reverb, and not really any bigger than many of the suggested multi's. What do you want from the multi which the pedal board cannot provide?
That is a fair point. I kept trying multis to "simplify".

Ultimately my simple board of Tuner - Chorus - OD - Delay (all Boss and so decent size and color coded) is way, way easier to use. For me.

mikeRI

TDPRI Member
Very fair question. I seem to have bad luck where one of my pedals or connecting cables malfunctions during a gig. It happened recently, and I played most of the gig straight into my amp because I couldn’t quickly find the source of the problem.

The next day, I tested 6 pedals and each cable. One pedal was the culprit and it was causing problems even when deactivated to the clean signal. It did this when sent through the effects loop too. When I turned the pedal on then off, the clean signal was messed up.

I was thinking one unit would reduce this problem.

sax4blues

Poster Extraordinaire
Very fair question. I seem to have bad luck where one of my pedals or connecting cables malfunctions during a gig. It happened recently, and I played most of the gig straight into my amp because I couldn’t quickly find the source of the problem.

The next day, I tested 6 pedals and each cable. One pedal was the culprit and it was causing problems even when deactivated to the clean signal. It did this when sent through the effects loop too. When I turned the pedal on then off, the clean signal was messed up.

I was thinking one unit would reduce this problem.
I believe the HX Stomp I use is relatively simple, three buttons, clean/crunch/lead, but…. In the heat of the moment I’ve stomped on two buttons simultaneously which toggled into another setting. In the song I just had to make the best. Then between songs get on my knees to figure out how to get back. There is no free lunch.

Leonardocoate

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I searched for existing threads but couldn’t find anything that quite answered my question.

I’m interested in a very basic multi-effects pedal that has: OD, Tuner, Delay, Reverb. I like the demos of the Alien Analog Rumble Seat but it doesn’t appear to have a tuner.

I play blues and jazzy stuff (Scofield) so I don’t need anything too elaborate. I like delay sometimes, but just a very slight analog delay or tape echo.

When I say simple, I mean four stomp buttons with a couple knobs for each effect. Anything out there I should consider?
My vote is the Zoom MS-50G...there is a lot of love for this pedal out there

Activateclint

Tele-Meister
Ms50g still is a great pedal but does suck some tone. I have the NUX cerberus and put a tube preamp (Valvenergy silk drive) in its loop. You can load IRs in the back end, has very minimal latency if you want to go direct but definitely needs at least an eq pedal in the loop as it's dark sounding plus there is no eq for that. 3 reverbs, 3 delays (with tap tempo), 3 chorus', univibe, tremolo and phaser if you like, tuner and clean boost. Distortion is as good as my OCD and overdrive is ok (both analog) Heaps of effect routing and output options. Patch OR stompbox modes. Cheap. Really is fantastic once you get your head around the layout. Highly recommend :).

sinecrafter

TDPRI Member

I have taken to keeping my tuner separate from my pedalboard, so it can be used alone. If you want tuner, drive, delay, and reverb, it's a trivial matter to build a pedalboard out of individual pedals, so why are you looking for a multi-unit?

Boss TU-3, BD-2, DD-8 or DM-2w, and RV-6, plus a BCB-30 box, and you are done.

mikeRI

TDPRI Member
I have taken to keeping my tuner separate from my pedalboard, so it can be used alone. If you want tuner, drive, delay, and reverb, it's a trivial matter to build a pedalboard out of individual pedals, so why are you looking for a multi-unit?

Boss TU-3, BD-2, DD-8 or DM-2w, and RV-6, plus a BCB-30 box, and you are done.
I will be using a headstock tuner as I just received an Alien Analog Rumble Seat pedal (gain, delay, reverb.) It’s all I need for the infrequent, local gigs I play.

I like to keep things really simple. 🤷‍♂️

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Simple is a subjective term ;)

Here is mine. I certainly find it much simpler than dealing with the hoopla of the 50 pedals I used to have ☺️

20221025_142453878_iOS.jpg

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I will be using a headstock tuner as I just received an Alien Analog Rumble Seat pedal (gain, delay, reverb.) It’s all I need for the infrequent, local gigs I play.

I like to keep things really simple. 🤷‍♂️
That’s a cool pedal. Did my first live radio show with just that on the floor. My amp has reverb. If they did a variation with chorus/vibrato in place of reverb I’d grab in a heartbeat.

mikeRI

TDPRI Member
That’s a cool pedal. Did my first live radio show with just that on the floor. My amp has reverb. If they did a variation with chorus/vibrato in place of reverb I’d grab in a heartbeat.
The reverb has a little modulation, but I would love to have a chorus/vibrato option to crank up for a Leslie organ sound.

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
The reverb has a little modulation, but I would love to have a chorus/vibrato option to crank up for a Leslie organ sound.
That’s how I use “chorus” most often. Hammond/Leslie thing.

We did write one where I had a really cool intro riff that repeats throughout the song. It sounded cool but needed something. Kicked on the delay. Better, but needed movement. On a lark I flicked the switch on my CE-2w from the vibrato setting to the CE2 setting without touching the knobs. Perfect.

Now that song will be the B side for the first single on the next record.