Simple mods for earlier breakup- 6g2 Princeton

BigDaddy23

Tele-Holic
I've found a Hammond PT with a 550v C/T tap, the 291AEX. Unfortunately it's not a direct fit for the Mojotone chassis, but I can do a redneck setup with some penny washers.

That's a good choice - I really think the lower voltages are where this amp comes alive. FWIW, I found a good sweet spot in mine running around 317VDC on the plates for 69% max PD with Mullard 6V6's. To be honest, it sounded really good anywhere between 65 and 69% max PD. Any lower and the overdrive was less pleasing to my ear.

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
I thought we all agreed to keep this secret well.... secret! Now the real mojo can be had by all😜

Heh, you'll notice I didn't say where either volume knob was set -- and besides, the true angular difference needs to be 91.743°... :)

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
I understand this reduces the tremolo effect though on those amps, it's a balancing act (unless OP doesn't care about tremolo of course)
too cold OR too hot can do this, on amps that use the POWER tubes for the tremolo effect. It doesn't affect amps that use a preamp tube or the opto-coupler for the tremolo.

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Yes exactly, the 6G2 uses the power tubes for the term effect.
So does the PRRI, which is what I had. I biased it hot (I forget what number), and the tremolo did lose a little depth, but there was still plenty for me.

ElliotKnapp

TDPRI Member
As others have noted, the tricky part is that you want more breakup without more volume. The consensus has been fiddling with NFB which will get you more breakup, but in my experience I'd say it also gives you more volume.

I would recommend also trying a clean boost pedal of some kind--you can slam the input but if the volume knob is low the overall amp volume wouldn't go up as much as a cranked volume knob with a different NFB value. You've already built a great circuit--you probably just need a louder signal hitting that 12AX7 to get the effect you want.

And, as others have noted, if you can get a good breakup sound you like but it's at too high a volume, grab an attenuator. IMO everybody who owns a tube amp should own a Weber Mass just to see what kinds of tones you can get out of a cranked amp at more reasonable volumes.