Simple, Cheap Pickup Winder

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by R. Stratenstein, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Well done Rick! I bet you could do a wicked "Ghost Riders" on it now! :)

Rob

2. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

--Ha, hoisted on my own petard! No, Bentley, did not throe it into the water. Head is very heavy and no doubt would immediately head for the bottom. The speak cab would probably make a nice boat, at least until the speaker cones got saturated and melted away!

thanks, Herb, appreciate the props. Not a builder, like you, but I got away with a paint-by-numbers update/upgrade.

Rob, Ghost Riders will be part of the repetoire I was also going to do Voodoo Chile, but I noticed I don't have a wah pedal, so I won't be able to do it. That, and I have yet to learn how to play Voodoo Chile !

3. sink

sink Tele-Meister

Working on amps is an absolute blast. I am building a 5F6A Bassman for a guy right now. In fact, I should be working on that amp right now. Good job on the amp.

Also, apparently I was good this year as Santa brought me humbucker (2!), Telecaster, and P90 pickup kits. I'll have to dig my thread out of the pits of despair as well.

4. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Ahhhh...you fixed your amp. I wondered what you were talking about. It's like you were speaking another language there for a minute. Did you replace the Henway?

5. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

That Henway shouldn't need replacing for another 5 years at the least :)

6. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Hey Nosmo,

Was it the Henway that was making the odd clucking noise Rick was talking about?

Rob

7. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

Glad to see your nut slot repair went well Rick. I have a neck that needs a similar repair if you want to do another. :lol:

8. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Very good thread you have here Rick, so many gathered information for all of us who have never wound a pickup.
    I have a question to make to you and all the other mates.
    Has anyone ever wound a pickup in a “scatter winding” way and after that, using the exact same materials wound another pickup using the common winding method?
    Has anyone compare pickups that are wound with the one and the other method?

9. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Probably.....well that or operator error.

And for those of you that don't know.....about 3 pounds.

10. R. Stratenstein

Eric, except for wet sanding, nutting is one of my least fave guiyar things to do. But I think Nosmo enjoys it, so send your guitar over to him. He'll be happy to do it. :D

Nick, I think a lot of winders pay close attention to the numbers of turns per layer, a technique that mainly requires a neat, side-by-side laydown of the coil wire, and the opposite of scatter winding. Some swear by it. I have tried to do this, but have found I'm a natural scatter-winder, so I will continue to side with those who proclaim scatter-winding the best technique. Truly, I have no idea.

No, Nosmo, I've always kept the Cluck knob turned all the way down. I don't like he effect. Also,in a somewhat contraversial move, Leo went to solid state rectification in this line of amps, so it weighs considerably less than the tube rectified models, and certainly less than 3 pounds. When it goes out,l I'm going to replace it with a Henweigh, because I've heard the English Marshalls have better ghirlphours.

11. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

I sure dont mind nutting!

*rimshot*!

sorry. This is too easy. Ill be here all night.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

12. R. Stratenstein

Now, Revv, you don't kiss your mother with that mouth, do you?:D
    Old Redwings fan here myself. Originally from Beverly Hills/Birmingham area, what part of the mitten do you live in?

13. xbearxau

xbearxau Tele-Meister

Hey guys Ive been reading these posts for a while and finally got around to building my winder. Just thought you would like to know I got a counter working for my setup.

My setup uses an FPA104 opto sensor with IR led. Sensing distance works best at 1-2mm. Heres a vid of it in action with a cordless drill and a drill attachment with black tape around it (I left a tiny section untaped).
    This drill spins at 1400rpm flat out and the counter doesn't seem to miss a beat aside from me trying to hold the damn thing still.

Running from a 12v DC supply, the led is set at 1.25v /40ma with a 200 ohm dropping resistor. The transistor has the collector wired to 12v and the emitter wired to the trigger wire of the counter with a 7k2 pulldown resistor to ground.

Counter came from ebay :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261180971939?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

http://youtu.be/aiuCGt96T_4

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.