Silvertone U-1?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hendrixlvr, Dec 10, 2019.

1. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

Not a problem I prefer new.

Hendrixlvr likes this.
  2. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Ohmyfreakin’god that is way too cool. Clean it up and (I for one) hope it’s more than just playable. If it’s just marginally playable at least it’s a cool wall hanger/art piece. I’m hoping for playable

Hendrixlvr likes this.
  3. 50ShadesofOrange

50ShadesofOrange Tele-Meister

I’ve got a 1958 Silvertone 1300 (single neck pickup, Coke bottle headstock) in “bronze.”

It needed strings and some cleanup, nothing the Dan Erlewine hot breath cleaning tip couldn’t fix, and I got a more appropriate switch to replace the plastic fan-style one someone must’ve scored at a marina boat shop.

But those minor issues are likely what got me a pristine guitar for ~$600 less than a year ago. I mean, even the tuners are still tight.

Those Danelectro guitars are just so @*#% cool, and while they’re a bit more than the reissues these days, it’s still a reasonable way to get a vintage axe with loads of character.

And unplugged, with the wooden bridge (spot-on intonation with mine, by the way), they can almost double as a banjo.

drlucky, Hendrixlvr and Dan German like this.
  4. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I own a Dano Baritone.
    Those Lipstick Pups are amazing!

dented and Hendrixlvr like this.
  5. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Holic

0F32F219-63DF-4A96-AE04-C88DCC636DF4.jpeg Necks just been repaired. I used a syringe to inject some wood glue, clamped it tight and let it set. That took the majority of the “damage” out, then I sanded the area down by hand, graduating from 220 grit all the way down to 1500....feels good and smooth, unfortunately I had to sacrifice some of that beautiful patina in order to do the repair, but it’s playable now :)

Flaneur, dented, String Tree and 3 others like this.
  6. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Holic

yea I think it’s the original owners, and then my buddies name from when he was a kid

Dan German likes this.
  7. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I just fixed a minor neck crack on my Convertible. Not remotely like what you’ve got there, but it still required smoothing the neck afterwards, which removed or at least reduced the patina. Natural colour, not paint. It was always lighter where hands rubbed the back of the neck, now it’s just a lot lighter (I shot it with light coats of clear lacquer after I smoothed it.) I figure another ten years of playing, and even I won’t be able to tell...

Torren61 and Hendrixlvr like this.
  8. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Holic

The beauty of these old guitars that are so worn like this is the week at tells a story. This one was obviously a player. It’s been used and played which tells me it must sound awesome. If it was pristine, it would have been stored for all these years. With this amount of wear on it, imma guess that the only time this one sat under the bed was when my buddies dad gave it to my buddy lol. I think the original owner played the crap out of it

Torren61 likes this.
  9. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I have a 25 year old Danelectro U1 in barf green. That bad girl can melt paint through my Valve Jr. Love that guitar. Love yours, crank it up!

String Tree and Torren61 like this.
  10. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Having had both, I will agree, although my two Korean RIs (first series) were awfully close to sounding as good as my ‘65. I wasn’t unhappy with them. But which one do I still own...?

11. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

Glad the neck is now repaired. As for the rest, shoot, I wouldn't even clean it. Even the dust is cool on that thing!

mexicanyella and Dan German like this.
  12. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There we go, here it is in it's Coffin Case
    coffin.jpg

drlucky likes this.
  13. marklk

marklk TDPRI Member

Love it. My guess is it's right around 1960. You can usually find the date in the control cavity and or on the neck heal.

I have two of these U1s. Black '59 and copper '61 (I think, I need to look again). I need to get pictures. They look a lot like your buddies. The copper one even had the same neck crack. Really cool guitars.

Here is a great resource. http://silvertoneworld.net/electric/1417_19_15_16/1417_19_15_16.html

14. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Have you scratched your name on the back yet?

:D

Hendrixlvr likes this.
  15. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Holic

LOL! Working on it

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.