Silvertone Archtop?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by savetheclouds, Mar 21, 2016.

1. G60syncro

G60syncro Tele-Meister

Sorry to break this to you, but that's a proper truss rod... Problem is the nut snapped off!! I don't know how the necks are built on those, but I'm putting money on the fingerboard has to come off! :( Also, for pickups, you can find Kay or Silvertone types that are surface mount. No routing, just 2 tiny screw holes in the top.

2. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Afflicted

To my eye that looks like the end of the trussrod might be recently sheared off, taking the nut with it. If so, options would be to either replace the truss rod or try to drill out the neck more and put some threads on the broken rod. StewMac sells a kit for that.

I'd probably opt to replace the trussrod, and since the fingerboard isn't bound it will be less complicated to heat and remove.

3. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Somebody thought they could adjust the high action caused by the neck coming off buy turning the truss rod nut too far.
    If the neck doesn't have too much relief, you might just be able to leave it alone.
    Fret a string at the 1st and 15th frets and see how much air is between the string and the fret midway between.
    If the guitar is playable and you can get the space at the heel to close up by slacking the strings, you can probably tighten the strings, work some glue in there, then slack them to close the gap.
    You could also turn the guitar upside down between 2 stacks of books and put some weight on it to keep the gap tight.
    These repairs are a little corny, mind you, but you paid about what one of these in really good shape is worth and you could easily double or triple your investment by paying for proper repairs.

4. Elias Graves

Elias Graves Friend of Leo's

Here's mine. My dad bought it new in 1946. No adjustable truss rod but the (poplar?) neck is a branch and you probably couldn't bend it with a tow truck.
    When I got it, the thing was quite literally held together by the strings. I cleaned it, put it back together and sprayed clear over the heavily worn finish. Didn't want a full restoration but it needed some protection.
    It is a spruce top so it sounds pretty good, though.
    No room between the braces for an installed pickup and no room under the strings for a top mount so it remains acoustic.
    Since I reset the neck, the action is good but it takes really heavy strings to make it roar and the old hand gets sore after 20 minutes so I don't play it a whole lot.
    But it was dad's and I like it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

I can't tell for certain, but the top of the op's guitar looks pretty wavy, which is pretty common in those old Harmony made arch tops. Between that and a bad attempt to glue the neck back on, I think it makes a pretty good wall hanger...sorry.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.