Silvertone 1484

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by rahbee, Jun 20, 2007.

1. rahbee

rahbee Tele-Meister

Looking to replace my SS Fender Princeton Chorus with an old tube amp. My local shop has (still, i hope) an old 60's Silvertone 1484. Anybody have any experience with one? It looked in pretty good condition (the tolex looked fine and such) but is there anything i really need to look out for?

the only experience i have with the silvertones is i know that jack white used 1485s up until this latest tour for Icky Thump (he moved up to Fender Twins).

Im looking to go get it saturday for about $450 if i cant talk him down from the sticker.

[​IMG]
    she pretty much looked like this.

2. cacibi

cacibi Friend of Leo's

Honestly $450 is probably a reasonable price given how the market value has been driven up by JW.

But I think the Silvertone tube amps sound amazing and have great breakup. The main concern is usually the build materials - which in some cases are actual cardboard. I've seriously considered purchasing some of these units and having them re-housed on wood cabinets.

3. rahbee

rahbee Tele-Meister

yeah im thinking that if i got it i may eventually at least re-tolex it in something groovy, maybe rebuild the cabinets out of some MDF or something (thats a ways down the road). i havent played it yet. any suggestions as to what i should bring up there if i do get it? my tele and my favorite pedal?

4. Jeffscreamedcorn

Jeffscreamedcorn Tele-Holic

Great amp,

Walk in with $400 cash (and $50 in your back pocket!). At a mininum hit him up for accessories like a Monster speaker cable.

5. cacibi

cacibi Friend of Leo's

Yeah - I think whenever possible bring your guitar and pedalboard/fx down to tryout potential purchases. Every part of the signal chain makes a difference, right? You want to make sure everything plays nice together. At the same time - try out some shop guitars with different pickups. For example, maybe the the amp doesn't overdrive with the single coils in your tele - but with a Les Paul with PAF's it overdrives real nice - might be an indicator that you need some sort of boost to increase the signal hitting the amp if you plan to use your tele.

6. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

I made a wood Cab for my 1472. It has been gone through and I like it. I also have a preamp mod out on it so I can go to a larger amp for more power and still get the tube preamp sound out of the larger amp yet the 1472 is still working as normal. Good amps and in a wood cab I think they are better yet though you do have to admire how long the cheesy cardboard cases have lasted. 40 Plus years.

7. rahbee

rahbee Tele-Meister

yeah ill have to really take a look at it. i was afraid to go near it because i didnt have the money, so i decided to work for in my dads warehouse for the two weeks im home to raise some cash for it.

if he doesnt have it then i may leave with a gibson or epiphone (since he is a authorized dealer and doesnt have any fenders unless they are used, which is rare). if i dont find anything that i like it may be a 72 RI tele for me when i get back down to phila.

i cant walk into a guitar store with that kinda money and not spend it though!

8. rahbee

rahbee Tele-Meister

oh he has a picture on the website.

[​IMG]

he also has this bill lawerence "swampcaster" for $450 though if he doesnt have the amp...

[​IMG]

9. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah allit takes is one "rock star" to drive up prices 100%.
    FWIW I think 1472's and 1482's are some of the greatest Amps ever.
    My Uncle Lou had a lot of Silvertone products and they're what I cut
    my teeth on way back when. I can only hope that they went to somebody
    who appreciated them. He had a #1446 Hollowbody in black with Bigsby that
    was outrageous through both of those combos which in essence are pretty
    close to Tweed Tremoluxes when they were still in "small boxes".
    My cousins probably sold them all for peanuts.

10. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

I know a lot of folks like Jack White I guess he just does not impress me though he is interesting for his wild looking guitars and his use of a Silvertone Amp. I would hardly call him a rock star though some might.

11. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

My 1472 with a wood cab made out of aged White Pine. :D

[​IMG]

12. DrewB

DrewB Tele-Afflicted

A Silvertone 1484 ought to distort like a demon with a Tele. I had one (head only) that I bought at a church rummage sale for $.50 (yeah, fifty cents!). It was dusty as could be, but fired right up after a cleaning. I ran it through my Marshall 4x12 when I played it, and it screamed with absolutely no headroom, but what a sound! I could get metal distortion levels with it using my Tele.

13. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

I could be wrong but I think a lot of these amps could use some tech work to make them sould like they should when new. Mine distorted like crazy too until I took it to a tech now it is clean unless I dime it and even then it is not very distorted not that over driven sound that some say they get. Some like the Distorted sound I depend on pedals for that I would rather have my amp sound clean. My 1472 with the stock speaker stays clean with my Peavey Reactor Tele. Maybe a guitar with Humbuckers may be different I do not know never tried one through my amp.

14. maestrovert

maestrovert Poster Extraordinaire

iirc, most of the Danelectro made Silvertones ran cool voltage wise....

15. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

The 1484 is a lot of great sound for not much money. It could well require tech attention ... many of the oldies do. Might pay you to give it the once-over if you hear any hums, background noise, crackling or whatever.

In good tune, this amp has a fine rock and roll, soft kind of crunch and drive, plenty of volume. Very 60s. The reverb is a joke. Don't even bother. For real reverb, you'll need something outboard.

16. DrewB

DrewB Tele-Afflicted

You could very well be right about that. I didn't bother with a tech. I changed a few electrolytic caps out to try to quiet the noise, but it didn't do much good. Mine was in basket-case condition. The reverb tank was MIA, the speaker output wiring was poorly-conceived, and it hadn't been played in years. I sold it for $75 and was happy; it turned into a Bluesbreaker Ltd.

17. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

MMMMMM... old Silvertone stack....... My first guitar amp. Did Link Ray stuff with it back in the 70's. So bad it was good.......

18. Les Paul

Les Paul Tele-Meister

if you want ANY headroom, save your money. if you want the best breakup ever then i'd get it. i have one, but i don't think it could be my only amp (due to the headroom). JMO

19. EMan

EMan Tele-Holic

I had a 1484 a few years ago. A guy I worked with that played in a rock band in the '60's gave it to me.

The speaker cab had some water damage (meaning that the bottom was gone)...but it had two mint condition Jensen C12Q's in it...date code 1966.

I built a new cab, did a little teching to the amp, and found that it was a darn nice sounding amp! I agree...the reverb was beyond bad.

I eventually gave it to a harp player, and he's still using it.

20. Derwood

Derwood TDPRI Member

IIRC, Jack White plays through both a Twin and Silvertone, either alternately or simultaneously.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.