Silvertone 1482 Love?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by endzone, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Pvee

Pvee Tele-Holic

I had a Silvertone Twin 12 back in 1961.
    I ordered it from the Sears catalog store in Falmouth Ma.

I used that thing for about 20 years and repaired it 4-5 times.
    Gave it to my son and he sold it.
    I wish I could get it back.

I think it cost around 169.00 at that time.
    The smaller one was around 99.00.

I was in the USAF at the time and going for the more expensive one was a stretch at that time.

One on Ebay right now.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Sears-Silverton...14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

2. skeksis

skeksis Tele-Afflicted

so here's a question: if I like the 1482... how much more might I like a 5e3 deluxe? any meaningful improvement?

seems like a better cab and speaker would really promote this thing to a gig-worthy amp; might just start saving my pennies for a 5e3 kit? plus it avoids some of the less-common tubes (rectifier, trem) found in the 1482. hmmmm...

who needs headroom, anyway? (not much to be had w/ my LP jr, that's for sure)

beck still tours with at least one 1484 (plays the black sparkle amp-in-case type guitars, too).

3. maestrovert

maestrovert Poster Extraordinaire

it's jes' got two channels, mic and instrument....
    as to what jumpering 'em does, you'd jes' hafta hear it, give it a try....all i can say is: it's a bit more of everything....

jes' mho, ymmv

4. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

Side by side I cannot see much difference between my Tweed 5e3 build and my Silvertone 1472 (same thing as a 1482 except 12 watts instead of 15) To my ears they pretty much sound alike. Consider the 1472/82 family of amps a POOR Mans Tweed Delux. Only with Tremlo :)

5. HighTower

HighTower Tele-Lover

I had one in '65 and thanks for this post as I don't want to start so many new posts[being a new member]; but I was gonna start one on the smell of a Twin Twelve when the tubes got hot and blue. I have 2 new amps [hrd and v18] and neither put off that aroma that the twin twelve did. What is it? The casing, or what? It was a smell that brings back teenage memories of sx/chemies/ and Rock and Roll.

6. nasonm

nasonm Friend of Leo's

The 1482 is a regret in my life. Before I became the wise tele player I am now, I found and bought a great condition (but not working at the time) 1482 at a garage sale for $5. This was 10 years ago.

I sold it to a guitar store for $75 bucks. I should have kept it and fixed it. The tubes glowed but there was no signal.

Damn!!!

7. hiero

hiero Tele-Meister

Sadly as in UK getting a Silvertone cheap (or at all) is not possible, but I was so taken with the following soundclips that I did some research and here are my links that I am sure you will enjoy.

First, two excellent YT soundclips - the first gets better the longer he plays so stick with it! - 1474 model:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23PCQpWK1MA

-1482 model
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzK8rKQbW6A

AND, historic data, schematics and pics: (follow *all* links or you'll miss out!!)

http://www.silvertoneworld.net/schematics/div57.html

pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11903466@N08/sets/72157604666386985/show/

http://www.larryjohnmcnally.com/Teisco/index.html

Now if you will excuse me, the courier has just arrived with my new Tweed Deluxe!!

8. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Good grief! I'm scared now to go on to ebay.
    What are You Guys DOIN'???!!!
    Shhhhhhhhhh.

9. skeksis

skeksis Tele-Afflicted

thanks, that should help keep the GAS in check for a bit.

had a little time last night to experiment w/ some misc tubes that I had lying around. the only reliable pair of 6v6's I've got right now are JJ's, though I have a bunch of RCA gray plate singles that I'll see if any are close enough to run in the amp. Have to admit I kinda like the JJ's 6V6S in this amp: the more 6L6-like crunch suits it (haven't liked that much in BF/SF amps so far).

only swapped in the V1 12ax7 spot: tried a good list of mostly old stock tubes, used that test strong. my fav in this amp was one of the GE's, though the other GE's and the telefunken were all very good. any of the rest would have been fine, too, but the one I picked just pushed the little amp into a really lovely overdrive.

mullard 7025
    telefunken smooth plate
    3 different GE
    raytheon long/black plate
    sovtek LPS

fun stuff! I'll try to lay low after this, stantheman :)

10. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Hay Endzone, congradulations on the good find. I'm with you all on the 1482. It was my first amp in the 60's which is long gone now but here in my old age I've got two others---#1 is completely stock and #2 is mod city. Here is a link to an old thread that outlines my mods if anyone want to take a look.
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-central-station/71683-platefires-1482-2-mods.html

I love to run my Hwy 1 tele through them. Happy 1482ing. Platefire

BTW-My all stock 1482 sounds great with all its original parts, so you don't have to mod it for it to rock. You may need to replace some parts if they have gone bad and causing problems.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  11. lonesomedave

lonesomedave TDPRI Member

1481 with homemade Cab

Heres my 1481 with a new cabinet I made.
    Gator baby!

Lonesomedave-

[​IMG]

12. missfortune

missfortune Tele-Meister

Nice! Can you post a back side shot? What speaker do you have in it?

I really dig my rehoused 1481 with a 12 inch Weber Alnico.

13. eggman

eggman Friend of Leo's

Howdy,

Nasonm said his 1482 had glowing tubes, but no signal. Same here. What's the most likely reason? Bad speaker?

Eggman

PS: My 1482 was a gift from the parent of one of my Little Kids Rock students. I'm one lucky guy!

14. notmorphy

notmorphy TDPRI Member

Multiple inputs.

15. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

To resurrect, anyone know how many watts these actually are - the 1472 and the 1482? I'm skeptical of "10 watts music power" and "15 watts music power" (what is that)? But maybe they are cranking out that much.

I like to play low-powered amps so I can really get them cooking, and find that unless a drummer gets carried away, 15 is a really loud stage monitor at worst, and may not even need to be mic'd (and if mic'd they hold up just fine F0H as well).

Thanks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.