Silvertone 1448 noisy with pedals

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Timtation Island, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Timtation Island

Timtation Island TDPRI Member

Hi

I bought a Silvertone 1448 from 1962 recently and I love the feel and sound of it.
    It is in a nearly mint condition and looks gorgeous.

I play it through my Vox AC15. I have to turn the amp half way open to have enough volume to hear my playing properly. With my other guitars I don't have to turn it that loud at all.
    I have no noise issues and everything sounds very clean.

When I use pedals everything changes. I have a lot of noise in my chain and it's sounds terrible because of that. I use maximum 6 pedals and checked every cable, the power supply, pedals seperated,...
    With my other guitars I don't have these issues so I think everything is okay.

I thought it was because of the low output of the lipstick-pickups so I bought a booster to raise the volume before the sound enters the pedal-chain. But I still have lot's of noise...

Is it normal that these pickups are that silent and if so how can I solve this?

Thx in advance!

Tim

ukepicker likes this.
  2. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm using a 1448 and find it to be almost as quiet as my humbucker guitars.
    The pots and jack were originally installed in a little box made by taping together some shielding. Mine is intact and works great.

I also rewired it once, a few years back, and did not install the little box. It was noisier then.

Have you cleaned the pots? Are all the solder joints good? Is the jack clean?

I've chased good pickups for a while now and there is nothing I've ever tried that has as much character as that old lipstick pickup in my 1448.

3. ukepicker

oh yeah - and the output: Mine is a '63. The output is very similar to the output of standard strat and tele pickups. Mine has plenty of low end and sometimes seems a bigger sounding than my strat.

4. Timtation Island

Hi

First of all thx for the help. Strange, them something must be wrong with the electronics.
    The output is very quiet (but clean, no noise with the AC15 halfway).
    I'll look out for a guitartech...

Thx and kind regards Tim

5. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

The 1448 wasn't meant to be played with a bunch of pedals anyway being a small "street corner/bedroom" amp.
    I've always thought that tube amps sounded best with onboard effects. They've always seemed to have issues with outside signal chain pedals.
    The amp may be in need of having all the caps changed. Old caps can make a tube amp noisy and even more so when pedals get added to the signal chain.

6. Zepfan

Another issue would be the place/room your playing in. RF issues add a lot of noise to tube amps and get worse with adding pedals.

7. ukepicker

Hey Zep - I think the OP is talking about the guitar, not the amp.

I'm worried there's something wrong with the pickup.

FWIW - I have the amp-in-case that came with mine. Original everything. It sounds pretty good, but isn't properly grounded, so I don't use it very often.
    Also, a cheap, open plywood case doesn't make the best cab.

8. Zepfan

Okay, sorry about that. The lipstick tubes should handle pedals good, JP ran them through several pedals back in the day. If cleaning the pots doesn't help, then a pickup may have an issue.
    Hope you get it fixed.

9. Timtation Island

Hi

Yes I'm only talking about the guitar itself, the amp is working just fine.
    But thanks anyway!

Kind regards Tim

10. Timtation Island

Thx!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.