Silvertone 1357 1954 Danelectro influenced Low Budget Lo-Fi build.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Feb 14, 2019.

1. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

I decided I'd try a winter build. I thought about some options that wouldn't involve my outdoor planer or Cnc which won't work very well in snow like conditions. Thinking back to my Mechanix Illustrated build, I thought I'd go in that kind of direction. I narrowed it down to an Early Dano/Silvertone build. The '54 and '55 varies were poplar bodied with pickguard encapsulated pickups. They had poplar necks and rosewood fretboards. I had poplar here, and many dano parts so I decided to proceed.

Dano necks for the most part have steel rod embedded for reinforcement. The early necks had a tubular or box-like metal reinforcement. That was out, so this build will utilize the 1956-57 style bars.

I have an original unusable dano neck here and you can see the back end of the steel bars. I took some small neo magnets and determined they tapered inward. I also saw an incomplete neck on ebay and that confirmed my findings.

I cut a hunk of poplar off a larger hunk about 4 feet long on the bandsaw. I had put on a new blade that I got on amazon. The bandsaw blade was pretty cheap. I should have known better. I think out of the package it was duller than the one I removed. The resulting cut was pretty wavy. I think they forgot to set the blade or something. Fortunately I cut it oversize. I cut it down to about 28" long and jointed one side and one edge.

D1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Ekko, marklk, FrontPU and 2 others like this.
  2. guitarbuilder

] I cut the wavy board down to 2.5 wide on the bandsaw.

d3.jpg

Being kind of disgusted by the performance of my Dewalt 735 planer in the garage, I reluctantly purchased a 13 in 2 knife Delta for cold weather builds back in the Fall. This one I can move around pretty easily and it does the job albeit with a faster speed and a bit more snipe. It does hook up to my dust collector with an adaptor, so that is pretty nice. The blades come sharp which helped out too.

The resultant board was pretty nice:

D2.jpg

crazydave911, Ekko and eallen like this.
  3. guitarbuilder

Next was the part to make the slots for the steel bars ( Lowes has 1/8 x 1/2 steel for about 3 dollars). I could have made a tapering jig but just opted to make a couple pine wedges and glue them to the neck blank. I just cut these outside the line and sanded them to the line on my edge sander. I put a little amount of glue on the ends and the middle and clamped them to the neck blank.

d4.jpg

d5.jpg

crazydave911 and Ekko like this.
  4. guitarbuilder

I needed a 1/8" slot that was 1/2" deep. I opted to use a router table to do this. Dano probably used a table saw.

Here is the bit at its final height and the resultant slots. On one side you had to plunge the wood over the bit. I did about 4 passes in 1/8" increments.

d6.jpg

d7.jpg

Ekko likes this.
  5. guitarbuilder

I took a cheapo 6" HF machinist rule as a dull knife and removed the two wedges by just putting pressure downward. It left a little wood which I just scraped off. I cut my steel bar in half and filed down the edges. They fit nicely into the slots.

d8.jpg

View attachment 584441

Ekko likes this.
  6. guitarbuilder

Next up was to cut the nut. I thought about dragging out my compound saw but it was whiteout conditions yesterday so I just decided to do it by hand. I laid the lines out with a square and a pencil. Then I scored the lines with an xacto knife and the square. Finally I took my saw and cut against the square on the scored marked.

d9.jpg

d10.jpg

Ekko and Tonetele like this.
  7. guitarbuilder

After cutting down by eye about 3/32 on each side, I needed to excavate the wood in between. I have a little 1/8" screwdriver that I normally use for this. It's filed down to a chisel shape. That was outside in the blizzard like conditions. I spied my HF screwdriver. These are actually pretty nice screw drivers. I used it to remove the wood.

d11.jpg

d12.jpg

Ekko, Tonetele and Barncaster like this.
  8. guitarbuilder

Then I used my Stewmac 1/8" nut file to level it out.

d13.jpg

d14.jpg

9. guitarbuilder

Last step for yesterday was to put an angle on the peghead. The Dano one I have is about 6 degrees and 1/2" thick. I measured up 1/2 and made a line. I connected that line to the nut and that would be where I stopped removing wood. I drew the line and went out to the edge sander and sanded it off. It didn't take long being poplar.

d15.jpg

d16.jpg

Ekko and Barncaster like this.
  10. guitarbuilder

And the only thing that happened today on it was to make the peghead 1/2" thick back to the nut area. Since my newest bandsaw blade is sharp, I opted to just saw slow about 1/64" oversize on the bandsaw along the fence.

d17.jpg

Ekko likes this.
  11. guitarbuilder

Then it was back out to the sander to sand a transitional curve back to the bottom of the neck. I just sanded carefully checking my progress and not pushing too hard. When I got close, I stopped.

d18.jpg

d19.jpg

LPTyler, nickhofen, Ekko and 2 others like this.
  12. guitarbuilder

Then it was off to the shed and just a minute or two with the orbital sander.

d20.jpg

LPTyler, nickhofen, Ekko and 3 others like this.
  13. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

So there's not gonna be a truss rod, right?

Do you then make the whole neck exactly level, or do you use some higher level magic to put there a minuscule relief?

14. guitarbuilder

It gets two steel bars on edge in lieu of a truss rod like this link:

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1....gws-wiz-img.HfVvvWzj64k#imgrc=POU2lpu7okwyhM:

I'll make the fretboard flat. The neck is thinner than a Fender and I hope it'll flex a bit. I didn't have any problems with a build with a steel box tube for a rod.

rod4_zpstszdalow.jpg

PingGuo and Ekko like this.
  15. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Heh... didn't think you would, just curious about the construction :)

16. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Holic

That neck should be as stiff as a wedding night dick ;).

Best Regards,
    Geo.

17. epizootics

epizootics Tele-Meister

Loving this already! Funny how your lo-fi tools are my everyday hi-fi :D

guitarbuilder likes this.
  18. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Love it!!

50936461_279672866036688_6542313701045698560_n.jpg

19. guitarbuilder

I have a stewmac preslotted fretboard but prefer to make my own when I can. I decided to clear a path in the shed and set up my small radius jig on top of my router table. First I found a rough fretboard from the East Indian fretboard stash. This one was appropriate. This one is a #2 if I recall. Nothing wrong with them but grain, or color, or a defect makes them less perfect, so they sell for less. That's fine with me. It saves money and doesn't waste lumber.

f1.jpg

Ekko likes this.
  20. guitarbuilder

Next up I jointed one edge and one face.

f2.jpg

PingGuo and Ekko like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.