I decided I'd try a winter build. I thought about some options that wouldn't involve my outdoor planer or Cnc which won't work very well in snow like conditions. Thinking back to my Mechanix Illustrated build, I thought I'd go in that kind of direction. I narrowed it down to an Early Dano/Silvertone build. The '54 and '55 varies were poplar bodied with pickguard encapsulated pickups. They had poplar necks and rosewood fretboards. I had poplar here, and many dano parts so I decided to proceed. Dano necks for the most part have steel rod embedded for reinforcement. The early necks had a tubular or box-like metal reinforcement. That was out, so this build will utilize the 1956-57 style bars. I have an original unusable dano neck here and you can see the back end of the steel bars. I took some small neo magnets and determined they tapered inward. I also saw an incomplete neck on ebay and that confirmed my findings. I cut a hunk of poplar off a larger hunk about 4 feet long on the bandsaw. I had put on a new blade that I got on amazon. The bandsaw blade was pretty cheap. I should have known better. I think out of the package it was duller than the one I removed. The resulting cut was pretty wavy. I think they forgot to set the blade or something. Fortunately I cut it oversize. I cut it down to about 28" long and jointed one side and one edge.