1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Silverface Princeton Reverb Speaker Replacement Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Man Of Tone, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Man Of Tone

Man Of Tone TDPRI Member

Hello Everyone, I have recently gotten a Silverface Princeton Reverb which Is going to be somewhere between 78 and 80 I would say due to the push/pull boost on the volume knob.
    It has the 10 inch blue Fender musicial instruments special design "oxford?" speaker.
    The amp works and sounds great but is just a tad bright and tends to "fart out" on the bottom end during breakup.
    I have never replaced a speaker before but from what I have gathered the oxfords are known for doing this, first of all I want to make sure that changing the speaker is what I need to do and secondly which one?
    I am on a bit of a buget at this time but i have been researching the Eminence Legend 1058 speaker and it seems like it would be pretty decent, has anyone used them?
    What I am after is a punchy warm sound with smooth highs and a tight yet chunky bottom end with the ability to push the amp with out it flubbing out when breaking up if that makes sense.....im kinda shooting for the Marty Stuart/Kenny Vaughan Superlative sound.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appriceated!

Thank You All!

2. leebman

leebman Tele-Meister

I had an eminence legend in my PRRI it was a good speaker definately brought the treble down and tightened the bass, but I took it out because it lacked any character it was boring. I ended up going back to the original c10r jensen. I have since sold that amp and have another 12watt 6v6 amp with a ten this time I put a wgs vet ten in it and love it unfortunately never had chance to put this speaker in the PRRI though.

3. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I put a Weber 10F150T in my '68 Princeton (non reverb) and the lows are now better (bigger and tighter) than before. It sounds almost like a 12''. I chose the T (for treble) version because the amp was a bit dark sounding before. I have to say it's the perfect balance now. For your amp I would recommend the regular 10F150.

4. Inventour

Inventour Tele-Holic

The Weber is a great speaker, the Celestion Gold/40 watt ALNiCo
    is good too. They are using the Celestion Gold in the new Fender reissue Princeton Reverb Amps.

[​IMG]

But you may want to consider buying a new reproduction cab made out of pine
    with the 12" Baffle, then you can use a nice 12" Speaker. Many of us use the 12" baffle
    cabs and use various speakers, I have the Celestion G12H30 in my favorite player.

5. sheltone60

sheltone60 TDPRI Member

I have a'63 Princeton that I had restored and was debating what speaker to use. I wanted a bigger sound than a 10" but wanted to keep the stock baffle. Celestion Gold was the solution. It sounds huge and is worth every penny.

6. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

I think the Celestion Gold is $175.00. I was considering that too, for my brown Vibroverb reissue 2X10. I asked about what speakers would be good here on TDPRI and a very informed guy told me about the Eminence 1028K Alnicos. So I bought 2 of those. I am very happy with them. They absolutely shine, compared to the oxfords that were in it. They are so good, that I have decided to buy another for my 1980 silverface Princeton Reverb. And the great thing is that they are made in USA and only cost $80.00 each.. Like the Golds, they are alnico, and they blow me away. Rated at 35 watts.

7. akukulich

akukulich Tele-Meister

I've got a 10" Celestion Gold in my 68/69 Princeton NR and it's worked out very well for me.

8. Man Of Tone

Man Of Tone TDPRI Member

Thanks Everyone for all of the helpful suggestions, I will definatly check these out!

9. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

I've been enjoying a Weber 10A125 for awhile but I just swapped it out for an alnico Weber Sig 10, which I am hoping will sound a little more raunchy.

10. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I just put an Emi Ragin' Cajun in mine based on Fezzner's advice.
    Damn fine choice.
    I like low notes and usually gig 15" speakers.
    This speaker has probably turned this amp into a viable gigger for me.
    I wouldn't want to have any money riding on being able to tell it from a 12".
    A lot shorter sheckels than a Weber or Celestion, too.

11. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Eminence 1058. Best all around speaker around for cheap especially if you don't like "bright". I got one used in a demo cab at a music stores online store for 40.00 shipped but changed it out for a fender blue frame Alnico. I prefer a more airy fendery sound and the blue frame also has a much smoother overdrive.

Or you could P.M. Muchxs. He has a way with speakers. He could probably tell you what to get that would go toe to toe with any "cool" named modern expensive speaker out there for cheap. He built me a 5f1 with a 6x9 in it from an old console T.V. (I think) that rocks!!! I can't walk past the thing without plugging in and playing it.

12. Custom Deluxe

Custom Deluxe Tele-Afflicted

Emi Copperhead is also a great choice for Princeton amps.

13. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I have a 75 PR and plan on putting a Celestion Blue in it. BTW, a different speaker will NOT entirely get rid of the farting problem, that is electrical, though the exact description escapes me now. My amp tech told me he could get rid of it. Not sure if it's cap or PT related.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  14. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

I put a Weber F150T in mine. I think it is also important to get more wattage. I went with the 50 watt light dope (broken in) yes they do this for you. My take is that your speakewrs should have more than double the wattage of the amp, so at 12-15 watts 50 watt speaker is better for me than 25 watt speaker. Especially since I push mine and use effects, boost pedal etc.

15. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

Amen! Love the CH!!! :)

16. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I have a copperhead in my 75 SFPR and my 74 SFPR has a 12" Cannabiis Rex. Both sound great. The 74 is my main amp and I carry the 75 as a backup to all gigs in case an one of the 3 amps we are using has trouble.

17. OaklandA

OaklandA Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

The Eminence 1058 is a good match.

When I had a PRRI I used a Tone Tubby 40/40 ceramic and was very happy with that.

I really like the hemp speakers and the Cannabis Rex is very good if you go to a 12". That said, I now have an Allen Sweet Spot that came stock with an Emi Red, White, & Blues. Does lack some bass but otherwise sounds so good I have no urge to change it.

18. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill Tele-Afflicted

The OP said he was on a budget, and some of the suggestions above are not inexpensive. :rolleyes: The Eminence 1058 is nice. I've got one in my '78 SFPR. Another good option is the Fender OEM Eminence ceramic ten available from Angela Electronics. Both will sound fine in that application.

19. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odk...632.R2&_nkw=eminence+10&_sacat=3858&_from=R40

1058 $60
    Copperhead $72
    Ragin Cajun $68
    Lil Buddy (hemp cone) $81

20. Lead II Fool

Lead II Fool TDPRI Member

Any love for the Jensen Reissue C10Q in a Princeton Reverb?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.