Silverface grill cloth

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by jsnwhite619, Feb 15, 2020.

1. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I does look a bit like the back side. The black stripe shouldn't be continuous on the correct side. I was thinking the 77 would have the brownish orange stripe?
    Hard to say if that is the right one or not, I haven't tried theirs. Can you post a pic of what yours is?
    I have a mid 70's pro baffle here, the cloth might be big enough for a Deluxe.

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

that is what is being sold for the blue stripe Sf cloth. That is not the back side, ime. There is no modern cloth that gets anywhere near close to any SF cloth. For purists, there is also no BF cloth that is correct. Modern BF cloth can be seen as non-original from maybe 15–20 feet away. I need some SF blue thread cloth for a ‘71 Princeton Reverb. I will probably use BF cloth. I do not like that wide, soft blue stripe as seen above.

4. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yeah, the modern stuff is wider rectangles and much softer, less durable.
    For a while I think Hoffman? sold BF aged that was very nice, I still have a piece here. But not available anymore.
    I can check and see if I have a 70's blue stripe Fender remnant off an amp out here if you want.

Wally likes this.
  5. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

6. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I think I'll just go with the Blackface style. The guy who needs it said the original baffle crumbled away years ago and it's got plywood he cut for it right now. Thanks for the help though. Who would have thought that it would be such an elusive item?

Though, I've got to say that most of the pictures of 70's DR's on Reverb just look like regular grills without any blue stripe. Does it fade easily or did they drop it after a while?

7. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

both my 75 vibrochamp and 76 champ have the blue fairly faded which brings out more of the orange.

play music!

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

schmee, if you have a piece that would cover a Prin Rev grille, that would be a great thing...PM me if you run across something like that.

Ime, a SF amp left the factory with one of two cloths...one had a blue metallic thread and one had a light orange colored stripe. I cannot tell you what years the orange was used....or on what amps. I liked the metallic blue thread cloth on a SF amp because it worked with the blue treatment on the faceplate. I did not understand the orange at all.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.