Silverface Champ

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by JustABluesGuy, May 7, 2021.

Tags:
  1. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

That’s way too high for me! Thanks for the feedback.

2. JustABluesGuy

Yeah, I skipped.

3. JustABluesGuy

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up passing on it. It was at an estate sale and I didn’t go, so I don’t even know what they were asking. Probably more than my limit, but I will never know.

Boreas likes this.
  4. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

There will be others... But now you know a little more about them. Knowledge is power.

Milspec and JustABluesGuy like this.
  5. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

@JustABluesGuy I'll tell you quickly about my Champ story. I was looking for one for a little while, I really wanted one -- just to have a hand-wired Fender amp I could play nice cleans through at low volume. Like you, I'm no techie. I either needed to shell out extra to get a clean, working, well-maintained amp or be willing to shell out extra to have a tech go over it and fix/update whatever needed fixing/updating. I opted for Door #1. Last year I paid $575 for an immaculate '75 SF Champ that had recently been recapped, cleaned up, etc. There's a tiny tear in the tolex on the bottom right corner that's barely noticeable, a couple mild scratches on the plate around the input jacks, otherwise it's in essentially perfect condition.

Is $575 too much to pay for that? Some will say yes. In my neck of the woods (Chicagoland), $575 is right around what these things sell for, maybe a tidge high, like $25 or $50 higher than average. Was I happily willing to pay an extra $25 or $50 to have a immaculate, well-maintained vintage amp? Yeah, $25 is a dinner out. It was worth it to me to pay that price and bring home an amp I could plug into immediately and be satisfied with.

If you really want one, keep looking until you find one that ticks the boxes for you. They're out there, but at least in my experience, it looks like the days of paying a couple hundred bucks for these things is over. Good luck!

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  6. JustABluesGuy

Yeah, I thought I might try and learn to work on vintage amps in my retirement, but this would probably end up being an unfinished project.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  7. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Until you get an amp work on, pick up a good soldering iron and just practice soldering. Practice on some scrap wire, and if you have some old pots around practice soldering wires to those, and soldering wires together. I've been inhaling lead solder fumes since I was a little kid, so it comes pretty naturally to me, and it's actually a lot of fun. A few months back I changed out the cap can on my 69 Champ, and I had to get a hotter iron, but it really wasn't that bad. Try to get one that will go up to 80 Watts, but that can also dial back for more delicate work. Usually they come with several tips for different types of work. Plenty of instructive videos and text on the internet.

8. JustABluesGuy

Thanks for the feedback. I’m sure I could get better at soldering, but reading schematics and such might slow me down. We’ll see.

9. Leofender55

Leofender55 TDPRI Member

From the looks of the level of corrosion, I wouldn't power that thing up before having it checked out. Personally, I'd pass at any cost. It will take you more to get it back to specs and reliability than it would to find a decent one.

10. JustABluesGuy

I did pass on it. Thanks for weighing in!

11. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

I don't know what that is worth, but I sold an original 1969 drip edge for $350 years ago.

12. JustABluesGuy

Thanks for the feedback, but I passed on this one.

fjblair likes this.
  13. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

I would have as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.