Silverface Champ

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by JustABluesGuy, May 7, 2021.

Tags:
  1. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

You got a good deal.

2. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

It's good to manage expectations with these little single-ended amps. They're fun and useful because they break up at more convenient volume levels than bigger amps, but that overdrive can also get farty and ratty when pushed too far. The tone stack in BF/SF Champs helps them sound a little less "boxy" than the tweed ones, but the trick only works so well...

Those caveats out of the way, the cleans and edge of distortion tones can be really nice! If you don't take this particular Champ home, I'd encourage you to keep looking for a good amp in this form factor. Love my modded 5F2A. :cool:

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  3. Gunny

Gunny Tele-Holic

I'd say do the deal. If it sounds just awful and too expensive to fix, lots of qualified repair guys like myself would buy it. I don't think it's too risky for you.

Bandboy and JustABluesGuy like this.
  4. JustABluesGuy

I passed on this one, but I like small, quirky and even ratty at times. My main practice amp is a two watt tube amp that sounds like it’s about to explode (but in a ‘good’ way) when you push it.

Thanks for the feedback.

5. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Two and a half years ago.

6. Bandboy

Bandboy TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

A good tech is essential. This amp has suffered some fooling around and there is probably more mischief on the inside. But a good tech can make it good as new, though that could be cheap or dear. In Dallas my guy is $85 an hour but is an EE musician and gets things right. At his rate I would not be surprised if restoration is 250. If you are unlucky (transformer, speaker) $350.

There are lots of these out there. I would play one and see if you like it.

7. benderb9

benderb9 Tele-Afflicted

Had my mid-70's SF Champ gone over 3 years ago by Scooter at Granville Guitars in St Petersburg, it was under $150.00 new caps, tubes (not rectifier still original) and it's a really nice little amp. Pretty sure that is a particle board cab, if it got drowned pretty sure that would be the end of it. Just looks like it was in a poorly insulated garage or shed. Could be an ok deal under 200.00 more than that weeeelllllll. Just replaced (waiting on it) the cabinet for my 78 Princeton from MojoTone, that was just over $300.00 for the cab in slate gray tolex with blue/white/silver cloth, tilt back legs, 12" baffle (70th Anniversary G12H Celestion to load in). Why on Earth do that?!?!??!?? Bought it almost 30 years ago at a yard sale for....$30.00. They're both keepers.

8. warchol

warchol Tele-Meister

Looks like it was submerged in water.
    I'd pass on this one, more trouble than it's worth.

eddiewagner likes this.
  9. JustABluesGuy

Thanks for the feedback, but I didn’t get this one. I’ll keep looking around.

10. JustABluesGuy

I didn’t buy it. Thanks for the feedback.

11. JustABluesGuy

Thanks for the feedback. I passed on this one. It does look more like high humidity from being an a garage or barn. It doesn’t look like it was ever under water at any time to me, but that’s someone else’s issue since I passed on this one.

12. JustABluesGuy

I ended up passing on this one. Thanks for the feedback.

13. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Did you get the tweed Champ RI? That's different than the BF/SF circuit in tone and response.

14. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

I think you made the right call. Plenty more of these fish in the sea. :)

15. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Late, but this. I love Champs, tweeds and VCs, but the $1K Champ is insanity. IMO a decent silverface was “right” at about $300, but that hasn’t been reality for a while now. Current prices are only rational to speculators, who may turn out to be wrong. Besides, IMO looking at this stuff as assets is lame.

With some patience you should be able to pick up somebody’s kit build for $500 or so, and it’ll probably be much newer, quality parts, and otherwise every bit as Champy as a nasty old Fender. There is truly no magic in leaky old caps, upside down RCA speaker connections, nylon shaft CTS pots, etc.

At $300 those did make sense to me. It’s a real, vintage Fender, that you can make right or mod a bit without much guilt. At current prices, let the collectors buy (and sit on) them. They are not scarce, and they are very easily replicated.

Milspec and JustABluesGuy like this.
  16. afireinside

afireinside TDPRI Member

How much were they asking when you passed on it?

I grabed a 79 vibrochamp from GC last fall for $500 shipped. All original besides speaker and looked like it just came off the assembly line. $100 my tech Dean Zink put a 3 prong, and swapped 1 cap (everything else tested good) the cap caused a volume drop when i turned up vibe intensity.

$600 is my tops for a clean VC

20201022_092912.jpg 20201022_092857.jpg 20201022_092131.jpg 20201022_092907.jpg

17. kjatexas

kjatexas Tele-Meister

I have a '73 Silverface Champ. The original speaker was an Oxford. I have a Weber in it now.
    In good condition I've seen these priced as high as $600.

18. afireinside

afireinside TDPRI Member

Oh and a builder NADER Amps on Reverb sold me a 50s Champ and a SF champ build for less the $400 each. Amazing quality!

20201104_175955.jpg 20200622_151233.jpg 20190922_105406.jpg

JustABluesGuy and Telecaster88 like this.
  19. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

Kendrick makes good amps and speakers. Gerald Weber is an internationally known tube and amp guy. He has written several books on the the subject.

pbenn likes this.
  20. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

I'm with you on that. To me, the amp looks like it's been through hell and back.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.