Silverface Champ

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by JustABluesGuy, May 7, 2021.

Tags:
  1. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

2. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Thanks. I just want to avoid getting in too deep monetarily with a piece of crap amp, and I am not a good judge of originality or component condition.

3. JustABluesGuy

4. JustABluesGuy

Thanks! If I can get it, I just don’t want to loose a lot on it. I’m thinking $50-100 tops if it isn’t functional or I am unable test it. I figure they will probably have looked online and will be asking much more than $100.

I have seen items like this that are priced like the most pristine and expensive “asking” price on Fleabay so there is a good chance they will be asking a lot more than $100.

Thanks again!

Boreas likes this.
  5. JustABluesGuy

I figure I will pay up to $100-200 if it works at all, and $50-100 if it doesn’t.

Does that sound sensible?

stevemc, Nelg, keng and 3 others like this.
  6. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sometimes the art is educating the seller to what they DON'T have. Don't be afraid to make them an offer and leave them your number to call you if it doesn't sell.

7. JustABluesGuy

Good tip, but it’s actually an estate sale, and the company doesn’t negotiate. They will reduce prices by a set amount the second and third day of the sale, but I have tried waiting in the past, and the item I wanted was gone when I came back.

Boreas likes this.
  8. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yeah - they don't mess around.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  9. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Poster Extraordinaire

Hmmm. Quite the project. I'd offer $50. I might go to $100. It's not worth more than that.

I'd be hesitant to even plug it in to try it out. Which leads me to suggest that you either pass on it and save up for one that will at the most need regular maintenance to be a player, or get it with the realization that it will need work and money (maybe quite a bit) before it's safe to be played regularly.

If you do want to learn about tube amps, SF Champs are the perfect guinea pigs. In which case you will need time and money (hopefully less than paying someone else, though) to learn about it and work on it until it's playable to your standards. I started learning with an SF Champ that I got for free. I jumped at the chance to get my hands dirty on that as an opportunity like that doesn't always come around. Well, $50 ain't too much more than $0.

10. Whatizitman

I used discrete caps for mine. Cheaper than hunting down a soldering iron mean enough to replace the can. Worked like a... Champ. :cool: But it was not the first thing I did on an amp. I read, researched, and soldered many other things before tackling that.

11. Whatizitman

It's already ugly and beat up. The worst thing you could hurt is yourself in the process. I think it's a great project amp. But only get it with that clearly in mind.

Sidney Vicious and JustABluesGuy like this.
  12. Whatizitman

More or less. Just from the pics I would hesitate to pay $200. I've seen far better specimens for $300-400. I traded mine for an AC15 about ~$375-400 in value. It was in good working condition. People advertising Champs for over $500 are kidding themselves.

It's an estate sale company, so just make your offer, walk away, and don't think about it again. If they take it, yay. If not, there are others out there. Just gotta keep your eyes and ears open.

Estate sales brokers already know far ahead of the crowd what they want for anything. And the good stuff they keep for themselves and their pawn shop buddies.

13. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Holic

Not sure where you live, or what the environmental factors involved in the transformer looking a shipwreck salvage or the rust on the input jacks.

But I would love to have that lil project.

14. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Holic

If it's been underwater, as it appears, I would pass... money better spent elsewhere IMO

15. JustABluesGuy

Yeah, I’m not going to pay too much. I probaby won’t be early enough to get it anyway. I’m going to try and wait in line, but I will probably need to be in the first 5-10 people.

Thanks for the feedback!

16. JustABluesGuy

If it appears to have ever been wet I will pass. I can recognize water damage better than a fried (or replaced) transformer.

Thanks for the advice. We have had some recent floods.

17. JustABluesGuy

Did I mention it was in rough condition. Maybe a flood, maybe a humid barn or LOTS of spilled beers?

We’ll see. They have a few other things that I am interested in as well.

Cosmic Cowboy likes this.
  18. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Justabluesguy, I just got around to finding this thread....a link in the message might have been quicker. (;^)
    If the speaker is good, it is worth a little bit. If that tolex has not been soaked off of the cabinet, the cabinet is worth something.
    Everything else is an unknown.....except for the input jacks. Those have to be replaced. Corliss kindly lined out what to expect in tech charges....at a minimum. If either of the trannies is gone, add some more one. I am going to be definite in my estimate...and the estate sale is not going to accept it....$75. IF you turn it on and you get loud sound out of it, $162.50. No more! That SS r3ctifier is an odd thing. It may indicate a PT has lost the 5.3vac filament for the rectifier.

JustABluesGuy and black_doug like this.
  19. ccuwan

ccuwan TDPRI Member

I own one and its a fine little amp with great tone

20. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

I'd give $100 expecting to do a complete gut and rebuild, reusing NOTHING inside the chassis. The SF faceplate, chassis, and cab are worth that. I might even do 150. If I really wanted a SF Champ.

But then, I have loads of stuff in my garage that I'd stick in there to make tube guitar sounds.

Wally likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.