1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Silverface 10” CTS alnico - modern equivalent?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by BluegrassDan, Oct 8, 2020.

1. BluegrassDan

BluegrassDan TDPRI Member

Who is currently making a modern equivalent to the Fender Silverface-era blue label CTS 10” alnico speakers?

Thanks in advance!

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Probably the Eminence Alnico Blue Fender version is about right.
    Weber used to make a great one, but i think they may have discontinued the alnico version for only the ceramic now. Which is also great. CVC 10 or CTC 10 I think.

3. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

That would be the Eminence 1028ALP, but I am not sure if they are still available by special order from Eminence or not.

The Emi 1028k has a kaptan voice coil former instead of paper, so it is slightly different tonally and handles a bit more power as well.

4. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've used the Eminence in a Bassman clone -
    a Weber in a Harvard clone
    and another one from somewhere near the Cities here.. VOR,
    and they are all good! Very nice sounding speakers. Did NOT A/B/C them in any one circuit however.

5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Unless they've changed the 1028 is the paper former, the 1035 is the kapton former.

The 1028 was available on order from Emi. That or the 1035 is my pick.

There is also a limited Jensen P10RF that has a different cone to the regular sqwaky one.

6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Wow..I just saw 4 CTS 10 speakers for sale about $800 buckerinos!!

No wonder you want to find a copy.

Maybe some early emi blues fender label or some of the newer fanes out there. Has to be alnico..imho

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  7. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

The 73 CTS alnico I pulled apart had a 1.5" in voice coil. All the "copies" seem to have 1". Maybe Weber's version is different?
    In Jensen terms that seems like making copies of P10Rs and passing them off as Q10Rs.
    If that makes a big difference or not I certainly don't know.

slider313 likes this.
  8. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Y
    The Weber 10A125 will suit your needs nicely. I put one in a tweed Gibson GA18T and it really improved the sound.

9. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

In was referring to Weber's speaker that's supposed to be their take one the CTS alnico Fender used. Not sure if they still make it and I can't recall what they called it.
    I have four newer Jensen C10Rs in a 66 BFSR that I actually really like. Don't have four CTS alnicos to compare them too.
    In a Super Reverb I like speakers with lower efficiency, it's already a loud amp and there's four speakers. Last thing you need is speakers that put out a lot of volume at one watt.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  10. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Tele-Meister

These claim to do the trick. I have several of them and use them in a tweed Bandmaster with excellent sonic result. They remind me of the same sound as the CTS 10 inch speakers in black face Super Reverb amps from the 1960's:

https://tedweber.com/sig10a/

11. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

I've used those too. I put one in a Brown Princeton Clone with very good results

Buckaroo likes this.
  12. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

It was the CTC, CVC line which came in alnico or ceramic. I tried 3 quads: both ceramic types and one of the alnico types. They were amazing speakers if you ask me. They were cheap when first released as they are just lightweight speakers. Unfortunately they became expensive eventually, then they disappeared probably due to cost, except one version now IIRC. They used paper voice coil formers like the originals.
    I had four in a 66 BFSR and it was magic.
    https://tedweber.com/ctc10/

BobbyZ likes this.
  13. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

They don't have to be that expensive. Here's a full set from a Super for $325 or less (shipped!) from the Atlanta area. The OP may be close enough to drive down and test them.
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=224142876502

Does anyone know how a single original CTS alnico would sound in a 1x10 cabinet? They might not measure up to the wide variety of 10s currently available.

Also, has anyone had an original CTS 10" alnico reconed with good result and for less than a modern speaker would cost?

uriah1 likes this.
  14. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Nothing that I can think of. Weber was making a CTA10 but now are only offering a CTC10.

The key here is the 1.5" voice coil, with a paper former, coupled with an 11 oz alnico magnet.

15. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Does anyone know if it's normal/acceptable for the baskets to be bent/warped like those are? It's especially noticeable at 12:00/3:00/6:00/9:00.

16. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I have a pair of the ceramic equivalents to those, with the straight cones. I first had them in my '71 VR, and then had them in my ~'67 SR along with a pair of more efficient ceramics. IMO, they break up way too early, and seem to lack low end. Not sure how similar it would be with the alnico magnet instead.

17. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

I'll get a better pic later, this is the only one in my computer. See the lower right speaker below. Same wrinkles as in the Ebay ones. My amp has never left my house other than a couple of repairs and the speakers have never been removed. Maybe CTS had the baskets made by the same company that stamps the stock traditional Tele bridges for Fender!

20130626_1215421 (3).jpg

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  18. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Tele-Meister

The Weber CTS replicas of alnico and ceramic speakers sound very different. I own both. The OP asked about CTS alnico......very different than CTS ceramic. I have not experienced a CTS ceramic in an original blackface Fender amp BTW.

The Weber CTS alnico sounds MUCH like the CTS original.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.