Silver Sky, one month later. Long.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Jakedog, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Just checking in with an update.

I’m the guy that bought a Silver Sky largely out of curiosity, figuring I could send it back if I didn’t like it.

I’ve learned a lot in almost 37 years of playing guitar. I’ve learned that I do not like guitars with a 7.25” radius. I’ve learned as I’ve gotten older and my hands are aging that I no longer like large necks. I tend to gravitate away from S style guitars with vintage style six-screw bridges and bent saddles. I tend to gravitate away from any S or T style guitar that does not have noiseless pickups. In the last month the Silver Sky has taught me that most of this crap just doesn’t matter if it’s done well.

I knew immediately upon unboxing it and strumming the first chords, that it was a keeper. With zero adjustment or break in, it felt alive. Very springy and bouncy. It *feels* like a really great S guitar *sounds* on our favorite recordings. You can actually feel the “boing” factor in the string response, totally unplugged. I’ve thought before that I experienced this, but I now know I never have. Not to anywhere near this degree.

I have the maple fretboard version, which all reports point to having the chunkier of the two available necks. More shoulder. More of a large “D” shape. I was reluctant about it, but it looked so much cooler to me than the rosewood version that I went for it. It’s huge. I shouldn’t like it. It should hurt my hand. It doesn’t. I got used to it very quickly, and it’s sooooo comfortable.

I do not notice the 7.25” radius. It plays amazing. The 12th fret action is right about 1.5 mm on the high E, and less than 2.0 mm on the low E, and I’ve got it set up with almost zero relief. Extremely flat. It has zero buzz, and does not choke or fret out anywhere on the neck no matter how far I push the bends. This 2021 model apparently has a taller fret wire than the earlier models. They seem very similar to a 6105 “narrow tall” fret, which is probably my all time favorite fret wire, so that’s nice. I was afraid I was going to get tiny, vintage, useless frets, and they’d make me dislike it. The frets are great, and are leveled and finished better than any other guitar I’ve ever owned at any price point.

The bridge is a work of art. It feels much more substantial and solid than a vintage style Fender unit, even though they look very similar. The saddles are straighter, and thicker, and the holes for the saddle height adjustment screws, as well as the screws themselves, are immaculately finished and trimmed. I’m a player that anchors my palm on the bridge saddles, and there is zero discomfort or rough edges.

Other subtle improvements over traditional design are the lower cutaway scoop, and neck heel. Extremely comfortable, and afford much better access to the top end of the fretboard. 22 frets. The two way truss rod with headstock end adjust is a no-brainer. The tuners are seriously great. The nut is perfect. Overall quality is a just on a whole different level than what I’m used to from this type of guitar. Everything fits together so perfectly, and so tightly. You can shake the guitar around with no strings on it, and nothing rattles. The first gig I had it on I didn’t even realize until the end of the second set that I hadn’t tuned it since we set up, and it was still dead nuts when I checked it. That blew my mind. I am not a gentle player.

But what about the sound? Well that’s really why I pulled the trigger, given the number of things about it I was worried might not work. Almost every demo or video I heard and saw, I loved the sound of this guitar. Almost every one had (or got very close to) the triple single coil sounds I’ve always had in my head and have never been able to fully realize, despite owning literally a couple hundred triple single coil guitars over the years. In real life? It does not disappoint. The highs are there. The lows are there. Everything is there. 1, 3, and 5 are there. 2 and 4 are there. And the controls have soooooo much range. They’re useable all the way around. All three knobs. I’m actually using tone controls. Me. So weird.

Speaking of controls, they are the only thing I dislike on this guitar. I hate them. I mean, I LOVE the way they work, I hate the way they feel. Especially the volume pot. They feel awful, and do not turn smoothly or correctly. They feel like crap. That’s my only complaint. I actually bought all new pots this week though, took the pickguard off, fired up the soldering iron, and then put it all back together without touching it. In the end, I was too afraid of affecting the way it sounds to chance changing anything that isn’t actually broken. Sigh. That’s how good it is. I’m willing to put up with crappy feeling pots because it sounds so good, and the tapers are so useable, I didn’t wanna screw it up by “upgrading”.

The last thing I’ll mention is the overall comfort factor. I don’t know how it’s different from a regular S style, but it is. It’s more comfortable, it sits better on a strap, and just feels more like a part of you when you wear it. It’s like putting on a piece of clothing, rather than hanging something around your neck. I have a very, very nice American Elite Strat, that I’ve also opted to keep becauee it’s just too good to part with, but it takes getting used to. Switching back and forth it feels awkward and clunky compared to the PRS. It’s probably the best feeling Fender I’ve ever owned, yet that’s the case.

I’ve been using the SS on all my electric gigs. It’s getting extremely positive feedback from everyone. I have one friend (we’ve all got that one friend) who came out to a gig a couple weeks ago specifically to make fun of it. Before I played a note he’s yelling stuff at the stage. “Play Gravity!”, and “YOUR body is a wonderland!”. First tune, he stopped. By the third tune he was just staring into his beer. By the time we took a break and I went to talk to him he just said “that guitar sounds ****ing amazing. It’s the best strat sound I’ve ever heard.”

I don’t personally care whose name is on the guitar. I don’t personally care how anyone feels about the guy. I happen to think he’s a great guitar player, but I bought it because I thought it had potential to be *the* triple single coil guitar for me. Based on what I was hearing in all the demos. I got what I wanted. I did not expect it to also feel and play this well, that’s a bonus. I expected a LOT. I mean, it’s a USA signature model PRS. It’s supposed to be awesome. This guitar has exceeded all expectations in every possible category.

Oh, and the headstock really grows on you.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  2. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

I believe everything but the last sentence.:D

Great review, thanks for the GAS!

3. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Congratulations on finding a good guitar that works for you!

While you might not be as cool as Leonard Nimoy dressed as Spock sitting on his 1964 Buick Riviera... John Mayer might be.

Doubtful perhaps, but Mayer's alright. :cool:

https://www.drive2.com/b/1713186

8085482s-960.jpg

stormsedge, elihu, Hamstein and 3 others like this.
  4. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Holic

Congrats!!! I recently got the Fiore and was not sure how it would work for me but it ended up being awesome.

Enjoy!!

5. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Just a thought, in the past I have used Radio Shack tuner cleaner / lube and sprayed it into stiff guitar pots, rotate them back and forth and they always loosened up and were easier to use afterwards.
    Glad you're still digging the guitar, when the local shop that I buy from gets another one in sometime I want to play one just to see how it feels (that probably will be a mistake cause then I'll want to buy it!) but most if not all of the Silver Sky guitars that he gets sell immediately and he said there is a big backorder on them.

Jakedog likes this.
  6. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Friend of Leo's

only one thing cooler:

spock.jpeg

7. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Afflicted

Great that you're still liking it! Your writeup has made me want to try one, even though I just can't get past the headstock and the birds.

moosie and Jakedog like this.
  8. BrettFuzz

BrettFuzz TDPRI Member

who's = whose
    mkay?

Also... Sell out!!!
    :p

That's awesome, man, sounds like it's a killer guitar. I wouldn't think a big name like PRS would do their own take on a style that everyone and their mother had already tried time and time again if they didn't have significant improvements to bring to the table... and it looks like they did have them. I have not read or heard a bad review of the Silver Sky.

David C, jays0n and Jakedog like this.
  9. Jakedog

Dammit. I hate it when I fail grammar. That’s what I get for not proofing well enough.

MickM and BrettFuzz like this.
  10. Jakedog

If you think of it as a PRS, and not a Strat, the headstock really isn’t an issue.

I think the birds are awesome. First time I ever saw them was back in the 80’s in a guitar magazine. Nobody had every done anything like that before, so we’d never seen anything like it before. My brother and I instantly wanted one. I think they’re also a real nice tribute to Paul’s mom, which is why he used them to begin with.

11. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I could like one of these

I just can't afford one

David C, Deathray, JayFreddy and 3 others like this.
  12. Jakedog

Under anything resembling normal circumstances, neither could I. Once in a lifetime opportunity, and all that.

stnmtthw, Cyberi4n, David C and 3 others like this.
  13. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That's a bit neutral - can ya tell me how ya really feel about that guitar?
    ;)

14. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Afflicted

I’m going to go out on a limb here. I’ve owned three PRS guitars over the years, including an early pre-bird custom 24 (that I wish I still had) and I’ve played probably a dozen more and I’ve never played one I didn’t like. To go from nothing to third largest guitar maker in the U.S. in 35 years you’ve got to be doing something real right.

15. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

To me, the most important thing is whether the guitar inspires you.

Clearly, this guitar drives you to play it. You cannot ask for more IMO.

16. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

Personally, I’d try DeOxit F5 FaderLube. Stuff is borderline miraculous on scratchy, stiff-action pots.

Rowdyman, Ringo and Jakedog like this.
  17. Jakedog

They feel scratchy, but not stiff. Very loose, but like they’re rusty inside. However, they sound and function fabulously. They just feel like crap. It’s really weird. Apparently that’s how they all are. I don’t get it. But it seems a small thing to complain about given how amazing the rest of the guitar is.

Fiesta Red, beninma and Ronzo like this.
  18. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

I’d still give F5 a try, @Jakedog.

drmordo and Jakedog like this.
  19. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted

Wow, that review was a huge dose of instant GAS, for me! Seriously though, someone with as much experience as you getting this excited over a guitar has to be taken seriously:).
    Sounds like love!

Jakedog likes this.
  20. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Paul has always strived for the best possible, and never cuts corners. He's a real artisan at the top of his craft and apparently all his people are too!Even when the company was just starting out, the quality of the workmanship and finish of every guitar was impeccable!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    Ron R, Peegoo and Jakedog like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.