Silly wiring question....

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Andyrockstar, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Andyrockstar

Andyrockstar TDPRI Member

Hi.

Feel silly for asking, cause i've got myself into this mess... but

I'm building a saga kit but wanted to replace the wiring, more for the experience than for any actual benefit to the instrument.

So I've got myself a Stewart MacDonald wiring kit which comes with instructions which upon inspection confuse me.... The old set I'm swapping out has one cap on one of the pots but the wiring diagram with the kit seems to want me to install the 2 supplied (the larger cap linking the two pots).

Do I need to follow the instructions or could i use the Seymour Duncan diagram that i've seen posted here somewhere before???

FYI it's a 3 position switch for standard single coils.

Thanks for your help in advance. and any other general wiring advice would be much appreciated.

Andy

2. mgwhit

mgwhit Tele-Holic

The StewMac wiring diagram is fairly standard. The .001uf cap on the volume pot is a treble bleed cap. It's entirely optional. The larger (.050uf) cap is the tone cap, and is necessary for the tone knob to work.

3. braderrick

braderrick Tele-Afflicted

Yeah the small one is a treble bleed if you want to use it or you don't have to. Also you must use the stew mac diagram as the stew mac switches are different from standard oak grigsby or crl switches.

4. Andyrockstar

I thought i'd read that the Stew mac switches were different but couldn't find the thread.. Thanks for that!

will the exposed amount of "leg" on the larger cap between the pots be a problem as i'm looking to reduce any risk of hum? Would a small bit of heat shrink be enough? Any other tips for avoiding hum?

5. mgwhit

mgwhit Tele-Holic

Heat shrink will prevent shorts, but not hum. I wouldn't really worry about the capacitor contributing to hum -- it's insignificant compared to the total amount of wire in your guitar.

6. Andyrockstar

I hoped that might be the case, thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.