Silly thread about Amazon video searches.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larry F, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

(or other streaming sites). I get that Amazon and Netflix or whatever, track my preferences. I have recently decided to poke around to see how preferences are determined.

In Amazon, if I click on a movie link, without viewing it, I believe it counts as a preference.

In Amazon, I can't really tell if by actually playing the movie gets more weight than just clicking a link. I also don't know how much of the movie needs to be viewed to have more weight.

Anyway, when I was experimenting with this, I just got the coolest recommendations. Even though the movies were of the same types that I normally watch, the new recommendations (post experiment) really, well, made me happy. Not kidding. Happy.

Any thoughts on the algos that the streamers use? Info, history, ethics, etc.?
    (Just kidding. I realized that my questions were maybe a little too specific or probling. While I'm retired from teaching now, it feels good to pose questions to a receptive and knowledgeable student body at TDPRIU.

2. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I know nothing about the way it works, but I was pretty surprised when I checked out "movies we think you'll like". they were right. it's not easy finding movies that are twisted enough for me, but somehow they did it.

3. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

There must be some kind of algorithm behind it. Numbers and data can be smart stuff, and in todays digital world, powerful.

Math is not my strong suit.

4. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I believe I know my algorithm and the choices it provides for me. Some can be off if I choose a title out of character, but most fit with my personality and overall choices. Most are over simplified by industry algorithms that I find laughable. But sheeple provide the info.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.