Silly ideas during the current home time

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by scooteraz, Apr 3, 2020.

1. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

So, three guitars I have never had in my collection:
    1) 72 Thinline
    2) Jazzmaster
    3) Baritone.

So, I was up on the Warmoth site, and thinking about combining the three...Warmoth JazzCaster or Jazzmaster (chambered) body, routed for Fender Wide Range pickups, Rosewood/Rosewood baritone conversion Tele neck. Jazzmaster trem.

I’m thinking about the Mastery Bridge, Sperzel or Ratio tuners. SD, Lollar or Fralin wide range pickups (no, they are not actually the correct magnets, but seem to be as close as possible and in any event this will be a baritone). Pots, switching and caps are all being mulled right now. Not sure that the above is possible, but...doesn’t stop me thinking....

Please, please, please talk me out of this insanity....

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Wow, this thing is just starting to gain steam and some people are already losing their marbles.

3. elelpe

elelpe Tele-Afflicted

This is the recipe of perfect baritone.

4. scooteraz

There are many who would say I lost my marbles some time ago....

Obsessed likes this.
  5. scooteraz

That’s not very much like the help I asked for;)

gregulator450 likes this.
  6. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

Have you ever played a baritone?
    Just wondering, I’ve had the “I need/want that” for different sounds and always come to the realization that I’ll probably play it once every six months

bgmacaw, dented and Jakedog like this.
  7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

A bari is like a 12 string, there are a few people who really will use it all the time, but most people will pull it out once in a while at most after the initial thrill wears off. The problem is that it's hard to tell which it's gonna be until you own the thing. My next "weirdo guitar" is gonna be a resonator of some type that will also do electric sounds. Will I play it? Who knows?

Your idea sounds killer to me by the way.

bgmacaw likes this.
  8. elelpe

elelpe Tele-Afflicted

I'm just stating a fact. Of course there's always an alternative fact: buying three guitars that you'd probably not play each a lot.

9. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

That'd be a silly idea.. in normal times.... :lol:

don't go blaming the elephant in the room....:p

10. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

well, I'll indulge in a bit of ernster personal disclosure. Since I was treated for cancer I have fatigue issues which is not uncommon for those of us that get blasted with cisplatin and daily doses of radiation , I mean those of us that live have this issue with FATIGUE . The rest of us, we don't, now do we. We're down for the dirt nap.
    so having this issue with fatigue and being a dyed in the wool introvert who likes to stay in and play around with my DAW , TIP TOP virtual synths plugin processors and of coarse the various guitars and lap steel guitar. I works well for me, study making electronic composition with a great similarity to field paintings most of the day , all most like going to a job that I really like everyday.
    The result of the fatigue and introversion and great curiosity about the manipulation of sound is very much the same as covid19 Isolation

only I've got covid19.
    th only thing that has really changed for me is I am more so now than ever before, of how much suffer there is in the world at an accelerating rate that would make Kyle Petty proud.

91e21f829afbed26b62ce20f4aed7cb4.jpg

11. scooteraz

A couple of times. Hence the idea that it might be nice to have a baritone in the fold. And every three months playing it out might justify it in my mind...or not. But I’m thinking it would have a killer surf sound which would get more playing time.

Hey, I pull out one of my 12-strings about every other month...for playing out...LOL. I had a chance at a Reso several years ago, and decided that I might not survive the bringing it home.

Your validation of the idea is helping about as much as @elelpe. :rolleyes:

So, your argument is one rarely used guitar that covers 3 rarely used guitars is better....I may buy into that argument. Again, not helping....o_O

Fretting out, Deeve and dented like this.
  12. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I am starting a baritone body right now. My first. I have an Esquire in progress also. Body is shaped and ready for paint. But I am gonna play the Bari when I get it done and I cannot wait! I believe I will put a B5 on it and I haven't picked out bridge or pups yet.

13. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

what the heck - I'd just as soon watch Somebody Else assemble a very particular kinda partscaster they won't play very often.:eek:

I know nothing of the Baritone, but will just say it's Great to have a 12 string. It gets enough play time, and I'm glad I got it, so maybe op will have the same exp w/ the bari.
    ;)
    Peace - Deeve

scooteraz likes this.
  14. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I hope I didn’t come of as negative, just trying to mull some ideas around, every once in a while I’ll have a gas attack and have to sit on it for a while

Either way I look forward to seeing this when complete

* specifically to the O.P- have you thought about making a bass six ? So you can have it tuned standard just an octave lower
    Is that possible with a bari?

I don’t want to derail your baritone just thinking out loud

15. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

You're safe from GAS-ing out since Warmoth is essentially closed right now since they're a "non-essential" business.

I do agree that a baritone is fun but isn't likely to see much use. I bought this Danelectro '63 model baritone a while back and it only gets played a few times a year. I bought it used at GC and the previous owner had upgraded it which meant GC discounted it. Crazy. The Danelectro baritones are good if you don't want to spend the $1000's and wait a long time for a Warmoth build.

danelectro 63 baritone.jpg

Fretting out and Deeve like this.
  16. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

@bgmacaw - this is the kind of deal that brings me the most joy - finding something a little quirky & undervalued by others.
    I call it scratch & dent shopping.

Peace - Deeve

17. scooteraz

I already have a good 5 string base, but a Base 6 would be a different animal. The idea for a baritone has been floating in my mind for a while for a bit of different space in the mix at church. Guess I could go the completely other direction and figure out how to make a Tenor guitar.

BTW, didn’t see your original post as negative.

Fretting out likes this.
  18. scooteraz

Your picture is pretty close to the baritone that I’ve had the most opportunity to play. Yes, Warmoth is down, so I’m safe, for now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.