Silent practice/recording solution for tube amp, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bluesholyman, Aug 1, 2020.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

I am moving into a townhome with a noise ordinance - the view/location is worth it. It leaves me in a position where I need to practice/record a good bit of the time with headphones or at extremely low volume. I have the Dr Z airbrake but the wife might not like low volume if it can be heard in the rest of the townhome - pretty open floor plan.

I looked at the Mesa Cab Clone, but the reviews are mixed - seems like its "good enough" for the price, but that is hardly typical for Mesa. Trying to keep the price down, but will consider the right solution and spend if needed.

The other option is to buy a small practice amp that sounds good at bedroom volume and perhaps has USB out for the computer. I'm generally not impressed with the sound, so....its probably the lesser desired options.

Would appreciate suggestions, especially those who are apartment dwellers and need to run an amp open for recording silently.

2. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

gimmeatele likes this.
  3. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Headphones fed by a cabinet simulator fed by <whatever pedals or preamp you like>?

In other words no amp.

4. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted

It's pricey, but the Universal Audio Ox Amptop Box seems to be the gold standard for silent playing. It is a load box and a cab IR loader in one.

bluesholyman likes this.
  5. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic

Weber makes a Headphone Tap (HA-50) for amps 50 watts or less. It gives you a headphone jack as well as a line out, each with its own volume. It’s passive, dead-simple and it works.

6. bluesholyman

I happen to love the sound of my amp - I would like to preserve that in the experience

7. bluesholyman

Yeah, if I could swing it, that would be it I think. Not sure if I can though....

8. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Tough to do and remain silent?

9. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate TDPRI Member

Maybe a "dry box" with a mic to your recorder. I'm not sure that I'm calling it by the correct name, but the idea is to make a sound proof box for your amp and a mic....They work great, however when I did it, it was to keep ambient noise out. I used egg cartons for sound proofing...as I recall we could barely hear the sound through the box...good luck......

bluesholyman likes this.
  10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Don’t overthink this one.

Katana Headphone amp is amazing.

11. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Ox is probably the best but it's $1299.00
    I use a Two notes 'Torpedo Captor-X' - $550.00 and a super close second best. I use it for recording ... and I f'n love it!
    https://store.two-notes.com/en/home/675-torpedo-captorx.html
    Any head up to 100 watts. Headphone out. Stereo/mono/reverb/compression/IRs.
    Here's a track using a cranked Deluxe reverb, Nobels ODR and a open back single 12" IR.

12. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

If you're trying to be silent when playing guitar, you're involved with the wrong sort of thing.

Beside that, does anyone still play acoustic guitar these days? 99% of the important stuff can be practiced on one.

Leonardocoate and StevesBoogie like this.
  13. Twang-ineer

Twang-ineer Tele-Meister

Open back headphones are key to enjoying playing guitar on the very quiet.... I also enjoy feeling the room "move" a bit, for that, a processor into a pair of cheap nearfields will do nicely. I'm one of those Helix cult folks....

If your brain needs to know that you have an all analog signal path and nothing else will do..... A Marshall DSL-1 into an Ear Candy 2x6 cabinet can be very rewarding too. You need the smaller speakers to limit the low end and get a bit more sizzle in the room at volume. I can plug my Les Paul in, get real distortion and still listen in on a conference call coming through my laptop.

I also have the Tubemeister, and at the1 watt settings the Tubemeister is much louder/cleaner etc.

14. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Meister

Isolation cabinet?

Leonardocoate likes this.
  15. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, it is on my wishlist of "Gear I Will Never Be Able To Justify Purchasing". :lol::lol:

bluesholyman likes this.
  16. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

thinking really hard about music while sitting perfectly still.

17. 19sixty3

19sixty3 TDPRI Member

That's exactly what the Laney Lionheart L5-Studio is for. I play the Lionheart L5 studio myself. I love that little thing to death. The Laney has a full output of 5 watts or attenuated down to 0.5 watts. Furthermore, the Laney can be run total silently using the internal dummy load which means it can be used with headphones. The T-USB interface supplies both a dry signal and the processed signal – split left and right to your DAW. That thing sounds great for rock, with an aggressive Laney bite that's great with humbuckers. The clean channel has a nice Vox-inspired chime to it that turns into a bluesy drive at higher levels, and the overdrive channel packs enough gain. Well, it’s a Laney.

A928C955-B5DC-4F9C-9181-90D98CC2DD9E.jpeg

Digital Larry and bluesholyman like this.
  18. bluesholyman

Yeah, these do seem appealing, but they don't solve the silent recording issue. At the moment, I am leaning towards something like a two notes or mesa cab clone, with IR.

Seems like the best way to get the amp itself tracked without disturbing others - can practice well enough with the same scenario,

19. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

Hughes and Kettner TM36 here. Goes from 36, 18, 5 , 1 and silent

20. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I ran the entire gamut of silent amp options when I was an apartment dweller-iso cab, load box, etc, and when all was said and done I found that the absolute best results came from a digital solution.

Peegoo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.