1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Signature Models

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by sllsll, Mar 9, 2021.

1. tomnardozza

tomnardozza Tele-Meister

tikitorch, Fendereedo and bgmacaw like this.
  2. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Just realised that there are three sorta signatures in the middle of my Tele family, though only one legit version. The first I bought was the James Burton, at the time I was only vaguely aware of him. In 2004 I sold a Strat Plus with the Lace Sensors, and replaced it with the James Burton which had the same set of pickups and the amazing gold on black paisley, who would not want to own one. The only time I was looking for a "signature" guitar would have been in 2011 when I fitted a red pickguard to an MIJ Tele to create the Wilko homage a couple of years before the official MIM signature model came out. The following year a Harley Benton "Prince" style came up locally for £60, so I gave it a go. Again Prince passed without really coming to my attention. Of his output only the George Harrison concert "While my guitar gentley weeps" comes to mind. I also have one of the much maligned 2015 Les Paul Juniors.

upload_2021-3-10_17-14-18.png upload_2021-3-10_17-21-21.png

M2roadwarrior and Fendereedo like this.
  3. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

there's been a mention or two of the SRV. i had one and neither the neck or the frets were especially big. the jeff beck i had for awhile had a bigger - and better - neck.

and i did not like the texas special p-ups. they seemed to be all mid range with no sparkle, no jangle, no chime.

and i hated the pickguard.

but that backwards whammy bar was Wonderful!

Fendereedo and brookdalebill like this.
  4. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

When I was younger and less clear-headed than I am today, I thought that I really wanted a Zakk Wylde model Les Paul, with the bullseye graphics, unfinished neck, and EMG's - a fine guitar in his capable hands...but it would have been a terrible choice for me. And in the 80's, I was known for my terrible choices - but I never did get one of those.

Fendereedo likes this.
  5. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

Some years ago I had the opportunity to play a friend's SRV Strat. All I know about it is that it was an early one. I loved the way it felt. As I was told, it just felt bigger. Playing thru someone else's rig, I can't really address the sound, but it was a nice one.
    I agree on the subject of "double signature" guitars and respect Joe B. for calling his Les Paul "inspired by."
    Speaking of whom; I have absolutely no use for a Flying V, but would love to have one of his, the "Amos," is it?
    Now I do own a J Mascis Jazzmaster. Asian made off white. Had no idea who he was when I bought it but I like tailpiece position and love the neck.
    My Les Pauls are a little left of center: a Gibson 2HB Special and an Epiphone '56 Goldtop. Good axes.
    Does anyone have a Kiefer Sutherland KS-336? Probably not. Haven't heard a single note that he ever played but that guitar just has to rule.

Fendereedo likes this.
  6. Shaolin Wolf

Shaolin Wolf TDPRI Member

Isn't the Eric Johnson Strat still the only way you're guaranteed you'll get a quarter sawn neck? I haven't been keeping up with Fender for the last 10 years or so, has that changed?

Fendereedo likes this.
  7. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

The only "signature" guitar I own is my Carvin TL-60, the Dik Ellis model ;) IMG_1427.JPG

Fendereedo likes this.
  8. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It's called marketing .

Fendereedo likes this.
  9. Muadzin

Muadzin Tele-Meister

I could never afford a signature guitar, unless it was one made by Squier, Epiphone or Cort. I've lusted after some, but I decided I would much rather build my own clones of them. And then I thought why make them exact clones at all? Inspired by is now my main thing.

Fendereedo likes this.
  10. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

It's a complicated equation. Here's a pie chart:

[​IMG]

11. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

easier to describe features as a package
    like automobiles have the "standard", "premium", "sport" and "limited" versions versus "this one has a moonroof, and that one has heated seats"

and names are less confusing than numbers
    easier for the consumer to remember "bluesbreaker" than Marshall 1962

Barney Kessel had signature guitars from multiple companies and never played them

12. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Signature guitars are creations of marketing departments, not artists. The artist and manufacturer get together to come up with something that can be said to recreate a look and sound and the manufacturer produces and sells it. The artist gets royalty checks. The manufacturer gets our paychecks.

If I want a signature guitar I’ll write my name on the back of the headstock. At least it’ll be a true to life representation of what I play. It’ll be just like sleep away camp where all the kids have their name sewn into their underwear.

Fendereedo likes this.
  13. BFcaster

BFcaster Tele-Meister

I wonder if any pro players routinely use a sig model that is not theirs (of course)? Seems to me I've seen pics of a player or two with a Buddy Guy dot tele (edit: Srat, sorry), going back to the 00's or 90s. I have read in interviews from that time that many also really like that Jeff Beck Strat, IIRC.

Fendereedo likes this.
  14. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

Haha, my sig models...
    IMG_20200831_104727.jpg

Silver sparkle, blk PG, southern cross stars aesthetics. Super light Paulowina body, 9.5r/22 fret neck, modern C, rocker pup switches, my fav pups.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    Fendereedo and Cali Dude like this.
  15. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

I’ve had a Peavey Wolfgang Special EXP with the amber quilt, a JEM 7DBK, and an EVH Striped Series red/black/white. I won’t count the yellow Strat with the big headstock, that became the home of DiMarzo stacks.

Fendereedo likes this.
  16. M2roadwarrior

M2roadwarrior Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I’ve been gassing a George Harrison rosewood and George Benson Ibanez for some time now, will eventually have these in my collection!

Fendereedo likes this.
  17. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

Sometimes the options are good. Sometimes it feels gimmicky. But I think typically the artist probably cares a lot about what's going into it and that's cool with me.

Fendereedo likes this.
  18. Sixstring3370

Sixstring3370 TDPRI Member

I like signature models if as others have said they check off some things you have wished for. I had a EBMM Steve Morse which was a bad decision. Too many switches. I didn't bond with it.I have a EBMM Luke and I love it. I don't think many players know about Steve Lukather.I had wished for decades that someone would make a repro of the Dragon . It's just an iconic guitar. I guess Gibson can't do a Clapton SG as he is a Fender endorser.

Fendereedo and Cali Dude like this.
  19. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

If anybody should have a signature guitar it's Elvin Bishop. He's been playing that same guitar for 60 years.

Fatlip likes this.
  20. Fatlip

Fatlip TDPRI Member

I have never owned a signature guitar, ( the exception being a Les Paul, which at this point, seems more or less irrelevant since it is an entire line of guitars of the Gibson brand). Had Leo Fender named the Telecaster after Hoagie Dickwhistle, I guess a bunch of us would be playing Hoagie Dickwhistles!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.