1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Sigh. Tele Jack Issues.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by unixfish, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

I've modded out about a half dozen Teles to Electrosocket cups and Switchcraft jacks. That's the ticket for Tele inputs. $10 in parts and a small amount of labor and you're done.

Electrosocket.jpg

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    unixfish likes this.
  2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Switchcraft. Electrosocket. Ye-essss...time for these it is...mmmrrrrgggrrrmmm. For every telecaster Jedi, essential they are.

unixfish likes this.
  3. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I think one of the issues with the stock tele is that the clip they use varies in material quality and thickness between many models. You have fender USA, MIM, MIJ, and squiers that may at times all use different clips and they may even change within the same model at times due to supply and cost. Theres just no standard and they often use total garbage pot metal thats also too thin. I think the best ones which are thicker and better quality metal when installed with a star washer tightened well and maybe even a touch of locktite can be rock solid for many years. They just need to standardize the clips but of course in today's world of manufacturing the suits will look at every part and often save one cent per unit by going to a lesser quality part even on crucial parts like this. If they just left important parts like that alone and use a sturdy clip, placed it a bit closer to the outer edge and used a shallower cup, that would end all issues with the design.

Personally i don't like the electrosocket and no longer use them unless necassary, but they are a good solution in some cases. Lately i have been using stock jack cups rather then changing them out to electrosockets and making sure theres a single star washer, (more then one will probably not allow for angle plugs) using a pure tone jack both because the sleeve is long enough to protrude far enough that i can use an angle plug and they hold the plug super tight. Then i tighten it with a power driver and a proper size socket and crank the torque on the driver way up. So far no issues at all. I have seen some clips tho that are so flimsy i would not trust them and rather use a electrosocket. But otherwise i now prefer to stay stock when possible.

unixfish, yegbert and Boreas like this.
  4. SixgunElectric

SixgunElectric TDPRI Member

Electrosocket really IS the only way to go!

unixfish likes this.
  5. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I agree. One thing about the True Tone socket (very solid/strong connection) is that if you DON'T couple it with an Electrosocket, it is very likely to eventually loosen and rip-out a perfectly good socket mount. Some people think they are defective until they realize it is a 2-click engagement! Ask me how I know.... I prefer the FEEL of the Switchcraft Dual Contact jack and it is less likely to tear out a good mount. One good click and done!

2021-04-10_10h34_52.jpg

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    unixfish likes this.
  6. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

I have electro sockets on all my telecasters. It's much easier to deal with.

unixfish likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.