Sig guitars not for me but...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by golfnut, Jun 27, 2020.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I've never owned a signature guitar and I've never really seen one that appealed to me. But there is this one kind of odd, in some ways, signature guitar that I tried out about a year and a half ago that completely impressed me for a number of reasons.
    My wife wanted to do something special for my 60th birthday. Originally the plan was to visit the Martin Guitar factory for the 2 hour behind the scenes factory tour. I even joined the Martin owners club for the first time last January as it includes the 2 hour tour for free. Well, obviously everyone knows what derailed that plan.
    So my wife thought the next best thing was to buy me a guitar. Really, whatever I wanted. Of course some awfully expensive custom shops bounced around inside my head but hey, its our money really and I've already spent over 10k on gear since March when this pandemic thing started.
    So in keeping the expenditure more level headed I decided to go with a guitar I've been thinking about for a while. Its a fun guitar to play, pays homage to a guitar player I admire, even though after the first 6 or 7 albums he drifted in to a direction I don't prefer.
    So as of July 24th when I turn 60 I'll be the proud owner of the Brad Paisley Silver Telecaster.
    The neck on it is a nice chunky soft v to c. Varies from around .900 at the first fret to .990 to the 12th which is in the range I like.
    As I've been obsessed about lighter tele's from about the of 55 on these guitars range anywhere from 5 pounds to 6.5.
    The one I had plugged in to a 65 deluxe reverb a while back sounded fantastic.
    The 2 things I wasn't fond of was the wierd arm wear relic and the cowboy hat on the headstock. But hey this will be a fun guitar to own and I'm not taking it all that serious. It sounds great and feels great and thats all that matters.
    Since its a special gift from my wife, who has never personally bought me a guitar in the 35 years I've known her (33 married) I can never sell it. Being a low budget guitar the temptation will never be there like with a high dollar custom shop.
    With its Paulownia sandwiched between spruce body, silver sparkle finish, soft v neck, 64 bridge pickup and twisted tele neck its about as different than my custom shop 52 tele as it gets.

2. UPtele

UPtele TDPRI Member

I'm blind

I can't see the pics

hemingway, tvas22, drmordo and 4 others like this.
  3. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Cool guitar! Good for you. Happy birthday (early!).

4. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I will definitely post NGD.

UPtele likes this.
  5. UPtele

UPtele TDPRI Member

I'm sorry reading comprehension not even once

6. B-side

B-side TDPRI Member

Congrats on the new BP. Had mine for a year and a half now. I can't put it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I've never owned a "signature" model guitar. (obviously I don't count my old Les Paul Jr) Many things about the Paisley appeal to me, but I'm not crazy about silver sparkle.
    I guess I built my own "signature" model Telecaster. Paulownia body, Warmoth Fatback conversion neck, "left-handed" Wilkinson bridge, and Bootstrap Pickups Pretzel pups. Belt sanded a modest forearm carve......and it's a "sig" model because it has the diminutive of my first name on the headstock ....."Taz". And I will say, the Paulownia body is very light and resonant. Enjoy yours.....

8. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's

My feelings about sigs are about the same but I thought we were talking Martins and I was gonna suggest the Eric Clapton model 000-28EC. It's a fabulous guitar and whether you like Eric or not you would get you monies worth fer sure.

But good luck with the Brad.

boris bubbanov and Churchjack like this.
  9. Churchjack

Churchjack Tele-Meister

That EC Martin is one of only two sigs that ever piqued my interest. The only other was the G E Smith Tele. If $$ were no object, I’d have the Clapton guitar.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The Brad Paisley model was received with much fanfare, but some guys bought it, fell out with it and moved on to something else.

But I think everyone should check it out. It could be the right thing. It isn't for everyone but which model is?

Congrats!

11. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I Have a Jimmie Vaughn Stratbut other than that, the Brad Paisley is the only other signature model that caught my attention. I would already have one if it weren't for that fake arm wear on it.
    One lucky member here ordered a BP and his came without the relicing. Don't remember who it was, but lucky him.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  12. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Meister

Congrats, looking forward to pics.

13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have three signature models.
    My Chet (#1), Les Paul, and EJ Strat.
    Three, of thirteen, total.
    I guess I like signature models.
    Enjoy you new BP Tele!

14. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Congrats.

15. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

I have a Jimmie Vaughan Strat.

Bought it not because of Jimmie, but because the price was stupid cheap (2nd hand), and it's just a really good Strat.

NicDo likes this.
  16. Telesaurous Rex

Telesaurous Rex TDPRI Member

Wasn't really shopping for a guitar but I played a Paisley at the local music store last fall. The body is made of some type of real light wood with a weird name.

I loved the guitar but if I was a serious buyer at the time would have opted out because I don't think I could get past that paint job. It's like they went out of their way to make it ugly. If it was traditional "James Burton" paisley finish I would have been all over it.

By the way, I've owned a 00028 Clapton for several years. Sunburst finish. Great guitar and my main acoustic. Really like the sound of the Clapton Strat - it's different and very versatile - but hate the neck profile. I'm seriously thinking of ordering a Strat with the Clapton pickups and TBX with a neck profile I like from the Custom Shop.

As far as other signature guitars goes, I've owned an early CS Donahue Tele that I purchased in the very early 90's. I later on came across a couple other Teles that I liked better, so it was sold. Also had a Knopfler Les Paul. Really wasn't looking for a Paul but bought it because they were being gobbled up and knew I could make some money if I didn't bond with it, which I didn't and then did.:D

17. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Me too, my eyes...MY EYES!

18. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Can't wait to get this guitar (less than a month to go) I could get it now if I wanted to but I'll let my wife present it to me on my birthday.
    As far as the comments concerning its looks yeah its definitely out there in some ways. Especially for a guy like me that likes everything traditional. My SGs got to be heritage cherry, my Teles nocaster blond or butterscotch, no sunburst for my Martins. So this is stepping outside the box. My opinion, I don't really think its ugly. I like the silver sparkle. I wish they had left the arm wear spot alone and let this guitar be more of a "Journeyman relic" look and I could have done with out the cowboy hat. But those 2 things aren't deal breakers and are barely a minor annoyance. I don't obsess over the appearance of my guitars. By the time I get around to wiping my Martin authentics down the spot wear my arm sits is full of crud. Mostly I just leave it there.
    The big thing that sells me on the BP sig guitar is the feel of the neck and the tone. As well the light weight. My custom shop 52 telecaster is 6.9 pounds and will probably feel heavy next to the BP guitar. Some people don't like ultra light guitars because to them it feels cheap. I like a guitar I can throw around effortlessly, so the lighter the better.

StevesBoogie likes this.
  19. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

I think they look great! But I like Gretsch guitars w/silver sparkle finish too, so maybe that explains why.

Honestly the BP is the only new tele that really interests me, and it's nothing to do w/BP, it's purely because I dig the silver sparkle. I also like the big neck and the fact that it's worn (less about aesthetics and more about the fact that you don't have to sweat small scratches and whatever, it's already scratched).

I have all the pickup combos and whatever I could want w/the 8 teles/esquires I own now, so it's not a functional thing. Purely aesthetics.

Congrats!

20. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Yep, that silver sig Tele looks cool.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.