Siegel-Schwall Band

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Eric Karonen, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Eric Karonen

Eric Karonen RIP

Another geezer thread.

Anybody remember the band from the 60s?

What a cool era! I have several lps by them.

2. BGTele

BGTele Tele-Afflicted

I do, I use to see them at the Cafe Wha? on MacDougle St. in Greenwich Village
    back in the sixties. I really liked them and have their first album. "Going to New York,
    goin' if I have to walk". They played pretty good blues for their young ages back then.

Cafe Wha? was hot back then..saw Muddy Waters band, Howling Wolf, Big Joe Williams,
    John Lee Hooker, James Cotton all on Saturday Matinee shows. Admission was $3.
    No seat was further than 25 feet from the stage.

3. casterway

casterway Friend of Leo's

Yesssss!!!!! I was given a box of LP's once, and in it was Siegel-Schwall '70. Great boogie blues! I had never heard of them, but have since found 2 other albums.

Attached Files:

4. CharlieO

CharlieO Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Sure I do! When I was a college student, I used to promote shows with the Siegel-Schwall Band occasionally. When I graduated I went to work as an agent for Contemporary Talent, the agency who booked them. That was just about the time that the band split up. We booked the Jim Schwall Band for a while after that.

5. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

I saw them twice in Duluth, Mn. of all places. Already had a couple albums.

I also had a album on Deutsche Grammophon, William Russo: Three Pieces for Blues Band (Siegel-Schwall Band) that was very cool.

[​IMG]

6. Bluej58

Bluej58 Tele-Holic

I saw Corky a couple of years ago, he and Jim still get together every so often

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  7. Eric Karonen

Eric Karonen RIP

I'm surprised some of you know the band! They were instrumental in appreciating the blues in my youth (neck to neck with Butterfield in the day) besides the acoustic side of it before. It took a while for blues to cook with mainstream society.

I caught a few tunes via utube for fun today, hence the post, and it looks like they're still gigging. Corky is blowing a good tin sandwich, and Jim likes to strop away on whatever that guitar is with the buckers ... we share the same thing, white beard and brown hair, but no talent here.

8. Shidoin

Shidoin Tele-Holic

I don't remember the title of the song; something like 'The Siegal-Schwall Boogie' that I heard on the 'underground' FM radio station back in the stone age for igniting my love of the blues that burns bright to this very day.
    Thanks guys!

9. IggyT

IggyT Tele-Afflicted

Eric,
    they were still around mid to late 70's werent they? one of my friends had an album...was there some maratimes connection??
    iggy

10. Viper

Viper Tele-Meister

By 1976 or so Siegel and Schwall had gone their separate ways. A couple of my pals went with Jim Schwall for a few years and had a really hot bar band. I used to see them quite a bit in the mid 70's. The last I heard Jim Schwall was in Wisconsin. I haven't heard anything about Corky Seigel for awhile.

11. WisconsinStrings

WisconsinStrings Tele-Afflicted

I saw them in Green Bay, WI about 8 to 10 years ago. My wife and I did't know who they were when we went, but we sure had a good time. Bought a couple CDs and still listen to them from time to time.

12. CharlieO

I don't think that you should be surprised that a lot of people know the band. They toured a lot in the early 70's, playing bars, festivals, and college campuses, and got airplay on alternative FM radio stations. I do have to admit, though, that I was a little bit surprised myself at the response a couple of years ago at the Tampa Bay Blues Festival. It was obvious that there were plenty of fans in that audience.

13. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I remember that album very well from the time I worked in a record store. I'm sure it's the first - and still one of a few - rock albums that was released on Deutsche Grammophon which concentrated almost exclusively on classical music.

A great band, and Corky Siegel was one of my favorite harmonica players.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  14. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

Great band - Jim Schwall used a Gibson B-25 with a DiAmand pickup - last I saw he was still using it.

15. Eric Karonen

Eric Karonen RIP

That's an obscure guitar, no? via guitar players. Heck, what do I know?

The recent utube reunited stuff is fun ... brings back so many memories .. I spent a lot of years in blues clubs ... the roots of rock and roll!

Listened to Walking Blues today ... what a classic!

16. CharlieO

I thought that I should mention that the guys in the Siegel-Schwall Band are really nice people. As I mentioned before, I promoted a couple of Siegel-Schwall shows and an occasional Corky show when I was 19 or 20 years old, and then went to work at their agency in my early 20's shortly after the band broke up. I was never close to Corky, but every time that I have run into him over the past 30 years he has always greeted me first, before I get a chance to say anything. You've gotta like that in a person.

17. 8painting

8painting TDPRI Member

When I lived in chicago and went to school there Corky gave me in impromptu lesson on dynamics for about 20-30 minutes before a big school jam session that he was hosting.

It was on the piano none the less. (Which is fine, since I play the piano when it comes to gigging more than guitar anyways). Just him and I. Pretty awesome.

Really nice guy, incredibly talented to boot.

18. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

"Corinna" :cool:

19. Bluej58

Bluej58 Tele-Holic

Hey, Billie Jean

20. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

Man, I don't know how I missed this thread, but I know those guys, too. We did a gig with Siegal-Schwall two summers ago, and Jim Schwall will be doing a gig with our band (Otis & the Alligators) on May 29th of this year. We did a handful of gigs with those guys back in the early 70s as well. They're great guys, and yes, Jim still has the Gibson B-25. Although, he isn't playing it quite as much these days. Jim still has his own band in Madison, WI, and he's also playing with another band out of Madison called "So Dang Yang" with Marques Bovre. It just so happens that our bass player plays with both of those bands. Talk about a small world.

Corky is still in Chicago and doing his "Chamber Blues" orchestra thing, and from what I hear, it's doing quite well. Both Jim and Corky will still play a gig here and there around the upper Midwest.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.