Sidemen......

tdp46

TDPRI Member
It's hosing down outside, the roof is leaking, I have the V-Roys on the cd and I'm thinking.
Lets talk about the unsung heros of the guitar, sidemen. The best I've heard recently were Buddy Miller with Emmy Lou Harris and (I think if I remember!) John Jackson with Shelby Lynne. There must be so many more that are as good, if not better than so many other big names. Any nominations welcome.......

Kingpin

Friend of Leo's
Don Rich, the ultimate sideman! It's hard to figure what he did better; sing or play. One of the Greats!

Bob Mc

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Jesse Ed Davis

(made him the subject outa respect)
and Mr. Dave (David Lindley)

BB

Poster Extraordinaire
Re: Our own...

petebradt said:
James Pennebaker. Guitar, fiddle, mandolin, steel and now banjo!

He can do anything!

Here here! I agree 150%! I also love his work with Delbert. James is the consumate pro and a very, very tasty player.

There are some great people listed in this thread. I'd like to add Reggie Young ( if no one else has yet ) to the list. I was listening to Dan Penns CD last night and Reggie plays on most all the cuts. Tasty, economical yet soulful playing. Reggies intros, fills and solos on various recordings in day's long since past are one of my inspirations ( along with the Beatles & Steve Cropper ) for picking up a guitar in the late 60's.

Plastics71

Tele-Meister
Who I can think of at this moment.....

Bill Dillon
Danny Kortchmar
Daniel Lanois (even as a producer his playing is all over so many tracks)
Waddy Wachtel
Richard Lloyd
Lenny Kaye
Chris Spedding

pops_staples1

TDPRI Member
guitar player on bob james' 'touchdown' lp

mr. eric gale ..made it to lead a band - and boy was he leading on 'a touch of silk' 1980

kind of reminds me of the open hearted singing tone of another great sideman who made it to lead a recording band - sonny sharrock

both on the brown side of the turf these days and shall we see their like again?

Mike Campbell
Craig Ross
Pat Smear (both times)
David Stone
Steve Stevens(Billy fronyed the band)
The Twangleer
Steve Bartek
John Stickway(If you're here...send me a private message...let's catch up!)
These are a few of my favs

Tim Bowen

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm a fan of several of the folks mentioned here, especially Buddy Miller & Mike Campbell, & well, a bunch of the others - so ditto.

Johnny Marr... that Morrisey guy always got quite squarely on the last nerve, so I can't call myself a Smiths fan... although I have to say that I've dug the tracks I've heard from M's new record, & I guess that with The Healers, JM is not technically a sideman... but Johnny Marr has consistently made songs better than they would've been without him. The live record with Neil Finn, Ed O'Brien, & others is really cool.

Davey Johnstone... can't believe I'm one of the few champions of this guy. One of the premier parts players of my lifetime. His guitar & mandolin work on Elton John records is textbook. He laid down as many classic hooks as Jimmy Page. Did the Brian May guitar orchestra thing before Brian did it. Many of those tunes are what they are because of him. A ridiculously unsung guy.

John Paul Jones... a born arranger. Bass in the James Jamerson tradition, keys, mandolin, a superb ear, excellent time - what more could you possibly need? The glue that made Led Zeppelin stick.

Captain Simian

Tele-Holic
Some of my bigger influences guitar-wise are not recognized like they should be:

Mike Campbell
Jim Babjak (The Smithereens)
Robbie McIntosh (The Pretenders, Paul McCartney)
Robbie Robertson (The Band)
Joan Jett
Scott Gorham & Brian Robertson (Thin Lizzy)