1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Sidekick Reverb 35 worth fixing?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by asmithx25, Jan 25, 2021.

1. asmithx25

asmithx25 NEW MEMBER!

upload_2021-1-25_14-33-16.jpeg upload_2021-1-25_14-34-26.jpeg upload_2021-1-25_14-33-16.jpeg upload_2021-1-25_14-34-26.jpeg Late 80s amp. Love the tone but recently notice clean tone now gone. Suspect a speaker issue. Other things I’ve put aside over the years are chewed up cables and power cord, which has rendered broken reverb switch a moot point.

Not sure if it’s worth the cost of repairs but really don’t know for sure. Any feedback on estimates and your opinions are welcome.

pix:
    upload_2021-1-25_14-33-16.jpeg
    upload_2021-1-25_14-34-26.jpeg

bender66 and thunderbyrd like this.
  2. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

I'm on my second one. Should be easy to check the speaker, just try it with a different amp, and try this amp with a different speaker.
    If you can't fix it further yourself, I wouldn't bother repairing it.
    If the speaker is good ... they're good speakers, so you have that ... and a few spare parts.

glenlivet likes this.
  3. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

Repair...no. Probably not worth the $$$$

If you really like the amp, keep your eyes open, you can sometimes get these fairly cheap.

If you are handy....because of the way the tray fits in the amp...they are a pretty good candidate for gutting and making into a tube-conversion....if you're into that kind of thing.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  4. Five Aces

Five Aces TDPRI Member

I feel the definition of "worth it" is about as subjective as the sound itself! It becomes a personal interpretation.
    Seriously, I don't have money to burn, so my path is to always research it a bit (as many are more than willing to share their experiences on these forums).
    I've ressurected some cheap amps that almost everyone said is not worth it ... to them!

My poor lowly Fender Frontman 25R has has multiple "failures" that with the help of other forum members, gave me enough info to determine the eventual cause & cost to fix it. If I had a $100 amp (realistic, paid new) and was told replacing the speaker will cost $100 for a good one, plus shop labor, maybe not a good idea.

But mine... I bought it used ($20), and was told it needed a new speaker, then found a speaker deal on CL ($40 Emminence 10" RamRod) and replaced it myself (Very easy!) ...Great Deal, $60 total cost and it's a keeper for anything I've needed! And has been reliable for years!

Your Sidekick seems to be loved by a lot of users that love lower wattage but still like having a 12" speaker. It's definately good for home practice or mild performance (small venue, church, etc), and lets face it.... big high wattage amps are hardly needed anymore unless you've got some big venue and no PA system of any kind?

If you venture to do most of the work yourself (replace reverb cables...easy!) and maybe find a replacement speaker deal (if needed, and also easy!) it may only cost you $40 total and a little time to do it all yourself... many in this forum will spell out the repair process in great detail and YouTube videos are a great resource, too.

Just sayin'... Last week I picked up another 25R I found on CL for $15. Bad Volume pot, other pots are crackling & noisy. Speaker is good. New pot ($3) pot cleaner spray ($6 can) and Armor-all to clean up the tolex and it looks like new for a $25 investment! I don't really need another one so I'll probably sell it as they are popular and routinely sell for $75 easily.

emisilly likes this.
  5. fraser

fraser Tele-Afflicted

I have the 25 version of your amp.

found it in the trash, needed a new power switch.

cost a couple bucks, took 5 mins to fix.

i actually like it, sounds pretty good for a knock around the house kind of amp.

I would get in there, replacing a few wires or a switch or jack etc is reasonable. if it can be salvaged without sinking money into it, definately worthwhile.

Five Aces likes this.
  6. Five Aces

Five Aces TDPRI Member

...and IMHO, sometimes they are the easy "go to" practice amp without the extra complexity of modeling amps... just simple volume & tone knobs! ...just sayin'.!

fraser likes this.
  7. fraser

fraser Tele-Afflicted

for sure.
    Mine sits in the middle of my apartment,
    Turn it on and it gets a decent sound at any volume,
    No need to get too particular about spilled drinks or the kids or an over eager guitar playing friend harming it.

i often take it out onto the porch or backyard.
    Its a very handy thing to have.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.