1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Shure Sm57 v Pyle PDMIC78 Microphone for Beginner

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Slim Chance, Oct 19, 2020.

1. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I have owned both over the years, as well as 545SD's (basically an sm57 with a reed on/off switch), and the older ones have sounded more even tempered and less offensive up top to my ears. Shure says that the current production sm57's are the same, but I haven't thought so in the end sound. I think it's probably about on par with how current versions of speaker models don't sound like the old ones. Some people chock it up to age, but I have my doubts there too. But we all have to get on with it, so use whatever is practical.

2. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I've always thought the Shure microphones made in Evanston sounded better than the same mics sourced from Mexico. They seem smoother and less "strained".

I always wondered how much of that was due to age though...

3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I had an SM57 for about 30 years and although it looked beat to heck it still worked like new up until it got stolen last year.

Now I've got an SM58 - same thing, different pattern. Can't go wrong with either one.

I do have a Sennheiser e835 and it's a great workhorse mic too. Picked it up used on Ebay for $55 a few years ago. It's got a bit more gain than the Shures - great for live vocals, just a touch less transparent for studio work.

No experience with Pyle.

4. Don Rich Rules

Don Rich Rules Tele-Meister

Buy the 57.

5. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted

Love my 57! No experience with the Pyle. I use it on my acoustic guitar and my voice. My daughter sounds better through my condenser.

6. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

As for the 57-absolute no-brainer like everyone else here-I keep 2 in my mic bag at all times, used for everything from guitar amps to vocals, harp, snare kick and overhead, horns-you name it!

as for the inspire, I used to have two of those-they do tend to crap out over time. Are you setting the gain with its control panel on the computer? Also, are you using the correct wall wart? And of course finally, have you checked your mic cable? Even new ones can be bad (ask me how I know this!) so check everything with a know good cable first.

Franc Robert

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.