1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Shure Sm57 v Pyle PDMIC78 Microphone for Beginner

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Slim Chance, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

My immediate goal is to be able to record songs to share with friends. I have no aspirations of becoming a recording artist or YouTube star. However, I do appreciate quality and was considering the purchase of a Shure SM57 when I came across the much less expensive and much praised Pyle PDMIC78. The microphone will be used to record my guitar amp in conjunction with backing tracks in GarageBand. I have a Presonus Inspire 1384 to use as an interface.

All of the reviews I've watched and read indicate that the sound reproduced by the two mics are similar, but not exactly alike. The Shure has a built in transformer, while the Pyle doesn't. A Shure is around $75 used and $100 new and a new Pyle $15, plus the cost of a stand clip.

I usually lean toward name brands or industry standards, but between the acclaim that the Pyle receives and the $50-$75 price difference, it seems that the Pyle is the best choice. I'd appreciate your input especially if you have experience with the Pyle PDMIC78.

2. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

If price is the only consideration, then Pyle is fine. But if you want industry standard sound, years of trouble free service, no need to mod for a transformer (necessary for proper XLR and LoZ operation, by the way), and resale value, you know what to do.

Buy new from a trusted source. Lots of Shure counterfeits in the wild.

If you're only doing vocals, however, do an SM58. But a 57 works just fine for that, too.

3. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

One mic for guitar amp, the sure is the best choice. If you're buying a separate vocal mic, I'd say look for a decent $50ish condenser for Nady.
    If you're planning a long run, you can buy a pair of SM57s, or a condenser and a sennheiser e609, and sell off the 609 fir a 906 later.

4. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

OTOH, $15 ain't much. If all you plan on is getting a simple project done cheaply, with no real need or desire for future proofing, then the Pyle is fine.

I'm a cheapskate, and record with very minimal equipment, cheap where possible. Despite, that, I don't see a 57 as a huge budget killer. It's industry standard, for $100. You'll spend at least that much on a cheap condenser. Considering how versatile and combat ready they are, $100 isn't that much.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  5. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

I'm sure you've already watching some Youtube comparisons? I just watched two, and think I'd done this in the past a time or two...just to see what the deal was w/ the few brands of super inexpensive mics.

There's % price difference between the two that is large,,,although I don't think the Pyle will come with a clip, which costs $$ and may not come with a bag either...which actually is important. Why is the bag important? Because the Pyle isn't the quality and will break sooner. When you compare apples to apples cost the % difference is lower, but still there.

In the clips I saw, the Shure sounds better and they are more durable. I've owned the SM57 I bought for mic'ing my guitar cabinets for 30 years. Yes...30 years.

You should be able to pick up a 57 used on CL, Facebook, or even eBay if you want to save a few bucks. That's what I'd recommend if you are trying to save some money.

You could buy a used 57, use it for as many years as you'd like a probably sell it for what you paid if you decide to stop playing/recording. The Pyle, you'll break, or give away. With that in mid which microphone will cost you more?

6. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Another good option might be the Behringer XM8500. They run about $30, IIRC.

Except for some handling noise, mine perform just as well as my SM58s and sound better with some singers. I use them onstage interchangeably with my Shures for amp mics and drum overheads, and frequently sing through one myself. They do better on a stand than for handheld vocals because of some handling rumble, but that is the only drawback I have found and I've had two or three of them for several years.

7. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Behringer do an SM57 copy for about $20

41144 likes this.
  8. Slim Chance

Thanks for everyone's quick replies. I'm still on the fence. The cost of the Pyle with a clip with shipping is about $20-$25. The used Shures are overpriced compared to buying new, coming at around $75 +shipping. Nothing currently on CL around here and the ones on FB are over priced, although a deal could possibly be struck. New ones are $100 including shipping or a $110 kit with boom stand and cable. I'll need a cable. I'm a photographer so stands and booms are only inches away from my amp. I'm still interested in anyone else's, 2₵.

Trust me, you don't want me doing vocals. The mic is for me to capture the sound of vintage amps, rather than use the software amp sims.

9. Slim Chance

This one sounds good, too, although in the video comparison I though the the Shure SM57 had a touch more clarity.

Edit: They appear to back ordered in most places.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    richiek65 likes this.
  10. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The SM57 is a “forever” mic. Even if you eventually want to move up to something “better” (read, “different”) you should still have a 57 in your locker. Make the investment.

As others have said, buy it from a legit source. There are lots of counterfeits out there.

11. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Holic

ahhh beat me to it. i've had my 57s for almost 20 years now. $75 is a pretty rad investment.

half the time i have stuff professionally recorded i end up just going with the 57 stem. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ZenGuitarist and Bella like this.
  12. Slim Chance

Yes, GC and MF, which I assume can be trusted, have them at the lowest prices. And I see my friends at Chuck Levins also advertise it at $99, in which case, I'd buy local.

13. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

Joining the chorus here, just buy a SM57 and be done with it. I've had mine for about 25 years and don't ever expect to replace it. There are a lot of fakes out there so it's always best to buy a new one from an authorized retailer.

Lawdawg likes this.
  14. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

SM57. It's an industry standard mic especially for mic'ing guitar amps. On Reverb they have a bunch listed at $70 - $80. Just offer a lower price and see if any sellers bite. For $75 it's still a good deal -- an SM57 is almost indestructible and will most likely outlive you. I've had the same SM57 for over 20 years and never had an issue.

15. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

Be careful ordering an SM57 online unless it is a reputable dealer. There are a lot of fakes. Also, used mics kind of gross me out--not quite as bad as a used mouthpiece, but still gross.

I bought one at GC 22 years ago and have used it for guitars and vocals on every recording and with every band I've been in since then. Amortize that out over its useful life, and the SM57 is going to be cheaper than the Pyle over time.

codamedia likes this.
  16. Slim Chance

I'll sleep on it, but I will probably get a SM57 from Chuck Levin to support a local business. I'll need a cable and their house brand should be fine. $15 FOR 25'. Interestingly, you can also buy the mic directly from Shure for $99 w/free shipping. This is less than many of the online sites. Go figure.

joe_cpwe and Bella like this.
  17. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I made the decision to get a 57, so I am biased. I absolutely love it. Works great on my voice and I can get a recording of my acoustic that sits really well in the mix. I have not put it in front of my amplifier yet, but that seems to be a non-issue among the folks around here. Rock solid.

18. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

Good choice.
    "I regret buying a SM-57" said no one, ever

19. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

I used 57's for live vocals and mic'ing guitar amps.
    I sold all my stuff off nearly 20 years ago and when I got
    Back into music, the first Mic I bought was once again an SM57.
    There's a reason they are called an industry standard.

20. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

I have one of those Pyles and it's fine. As I recall, the Pyle's has a peak a bit lower than the 57, which might actually make it better for guitar than the 57.

Also, never, ever buy a used SM57 or even a new one from a iffy dealer. There are tons and tons of fakes out there.

If all I had was the Pyle, I wouldn't hesitate to slap it in front of the amp and hit record.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.