Shrill sound: Maple neck?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Billycaster21, Jul 11, 2021.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Just out of curiosity: did anybody get their mind changed THIS time around? :D

BFcaster, beagle, G.Rotten and 2 others like this.
  2. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Unlike tonewood making a huge difference in the sound of an amplified solid or semi solid electric guitar, confirmation bias is a real thing and has been proven.

There is a fairly old study which showed that even musicians cannot reliably tell the difference, based on amplified sound alone, between a Tele and a Les Paul, IF THEY ARE BLINDFOLDED.

Do you think a blindfolded guitar player could tell the difference between a swamp ash tele and an Alder tele, or a rosewood board and a one piece maple neck?

Hint: It's a rhetorical question.

G.Rotten and Blackmore Fan like this.
  3. Beebe

Beebe Tele-Meister

I bet they could if they were playing it.

Maguchi likes this.
  4. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

I have a swamp ash and an alder strat. I've tried the blind fold challenge with them both as a player and a listener, and could tell they were different guitars, but couldn't tell which was which. For what it's worth, which ain't much.

Billycaster21 likes this.
  5. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

There is no right or wrong. If you can hear the differences in neck and body woods, then you are right. But, if you can't hear it, then you are also right. Why does one side, or the other, feel compelled to tell others what their ears can and can't hear? It's stupid, small minded, and childish

FortyEight and Billycaster21 like this.
  6. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The easiest way to check approximate pup outputs without tearing things apart is to get a short patch cable and plug it into the guitar. Turn both T and V all the way up, then place your multimeter leads on the shaft and the tip of the cable. Then record the readings at each switch position. It is slightly more accurate to use a bare plug with no cable. But this will get you pretty close.

G.Rotten and Billycaster21 like this.
  7. Wobbles

Wobbles Tele-Meister

In my experience maple fretboards sound warmer than rosewood fretboards.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
  8. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

I personally am in the camp where different woods make little difference to the out the amp sound.

However, overall guitar construction contributes a fair amount. My experience is not of some wood or guitar expert, but rather of just a dude who's owned a lot of guitars (over 300) and turned most of his Fender guitars into Partscasters. I've had many chances to hear the overall difference of a guitar solely based on switching only the neck.

In my non scientific opinion of you compare 2 necks of identical specs (especially including the overall mass of the neck) then the all Maple neck will be brighter and more snappy unplugged than the Rosewood board but both will sound pretty much the same in the mix with a band.

On the other hand, if you take 2 necks that are Maple with a Rosewood board but one is thin/small and the other is chunky then the thin neck will sound the brighter of the 2.

So if you've compared say a chunky all Maple neck to a thin Maple neck with Rosewood board then I would guess perhaps the Rosewood might sound brighter both unplugged and plugged in.

ctmullins likes this.
  9. Big-ez

Big-ez TDPRI Member

Try a/b testing some open (non fretted) strings. That should eliminate a lot of the neck material’s impact (I think). Record them, and have someone play them back randomly in order to make the test unbiased.

10. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I sometimes like reading peoples' opinions and thoughts on it, until it digresses into responses that start off like this.

G.Rotten likes this.
  11. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Afflicted

The short version goes like this:

Its an *electric* guitar. The only sound that matters is thru the amp. If the body wood *really* mattered, we wouldn't be so eager to put up with pickguards on them--those are made of plastic and other lesser materials. I haven't read any threads recently where anyone argued that certain pickguard materials sounded better than others (other than metal ones that could interact with the pickups and other electricals).

As for the neck material affecting tone, again, how come we aren't debating whether poly-covered fretboards add or detract from "tone"? How come we aren't arguing about whether unfinished necks provide more or less "tone"?

They're electric guitars. To me the most significant thing that body and neck woods provide to tone is how well they are secured to one another. A mediocre connection between body and neck could indeed affect tone. Its for that reason that if a guitar *sings* in its original configuration I'm hesitant to swap the body and neck--the connection between the two if obviously right.

hepular, Boreas and G.Rotten like this.
  12. Blackmore Fan

RobRiggs likes this.
  13. Blackmore Fan

How?

hepular likes this.
  14. ctmullins

ctmullins Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Because that’s what the pickups sense.

15. Blackmore Fan

Yes, and even "within spec" allows for certain tolerances. The idea that "these 2 guitars are exactly like" is statistically speaking a fantasy.

16. Blackmore Fan

Why do we put plastic pickguards that surround the pickups on them if that's the case? Is there "tone plastic"?

17. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

I'm inventing tone plastic next week.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  18. Blackmore Fan

I predict your sales will be strong!

G.Rotten likes this.
  19. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Pickguards are exactly what they say they are. They guard the guitar against getting damaged by the pick.

On an acoustic guitar the pickguard is as thin/small as possible to reduce the effect it has on vibrations.

On an electric it doesn't really matter as much.

If we want to take this thread in a new direction then yes pickguard material actually can influence pickup performance.

20. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Plus one on this one.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.