Shred Tele Build

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by VanillaTrice, May 27, 2020.

  1. VanillaTrice

    VanillaTrice TDPRI Member

    Age:
    33
    Posts:
    4
    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2017
    Location:
    Ottawa, ON
    I've been a long time lurker on this forum without really having anything to post as I've been without a tele for quite a few years.

    As of yesterday I'm back in the saddle having finally finished an ongoing shred Tele build. This probably isn't everyone's cup of tea but I thought I'd share some pictures of the finished product anyway.

    It was a fun project, although it required a ton more modification, routing and customization than I was hoping for. A good learning experience.

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
  2. Kevin Wolfe

    Kevin Wolfe Tele-Meister

    Age:
    62
    Posts:
    272
    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2017
    Location:
    Lakeland FL
    Is that a “paint pour”? My wife does that. I’ve thought about getting her to do a guitar body but was concerned it would be too thick.
     
  3. mexicanyella

    mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

    Posts:
    1,474
    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2012
    Location:
    Troy, MO
    Love it! Great finish!
     
    VanillaTrice likes this.
  4. BBQedIguana

    BBQedIguana Tele-Meister

    Age:
    51
    Posts:
    153
    Joined:
    May 10, 2020
    Location:
    Canada
    Awesome job! The big question is... does it shred? (My guess is YES!!!)
     
    VanillaTrice likes this.
  5. VanillaTrice

    VanillaTrice TDPRI Member

    Age:
    33
    Posts:
    4
    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2017
    Location:
    Ottawa, ON
    Close. It's a hydro dip. It was supposed to be a hydro swirl but the paint I used started to set a little to quickly on the surface preventing me from swirling it much. I think this was because it was older stock paint (I used that magic marble stuff but probably should have checked production dates on it). This was the second attempt as the first one ended up botched but let me know how the paint was responding (or not) to the water. I think this technique is fairly similar to what Fender did back in the 80s with their "bowling ball" teles.
     
    BBQedIguana and Kevin Wolfe like this.
  6. VanillaTrice

    VanillaTrice TDPRI Member

    Age:
    33
    Posts:
    4
    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2017
    Location:
    Ottawa, ON
    Yeah, she's pretty quick! The neck is chunky more like a Kramer Baretta but I find that fairly comfortable while flying around the fretboard. I did post up a quick video on Insta this morning: https://www.instagram.com/p/CAsekMDFIvz/?igshid=126v6ueo93d37
     
    BBQedIguana likes this.
  7. BBQedIguana

    BBQedIguana Tele-Meister

    Age:
    51
    Posts:
    153
    Joined:
    May 10, 2020
    Location:
    Canada
    VanillaTrice likes this.
  8. Sneaks

    Sneaks TDPRI Member

    Age:
    52
    Posts:
    21
    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2019
    Location:
    Virginia
    Truly original! Props for the execution. How much work did you have to do to fit that neck/pocket?
     
    VanillaTrice likes this.
  9. VanillaTrice

    VanillaTrice TDPRI Member

    Age:
    33
    Posts:
    4
    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2017
    Location:
    Ottawa, ON
    Thanks!

    Yeah, the neck pocket was the hardest part. The heel of that neck was designed more for a wider deeper Kramer style body. I had to do a lot of routing to widen the pocket to match the width, and then even more routing to seat the neck further into the body so that the scale length would be bang on. I think I must have routed it about a 3/8 deeper into the body. It was a lot of work, but that was the trade off to have that style of neck and the extra fret.

    I should probably mention that this created another issue: stock pickguards would not work with this pocket cut or with that bottom humbucker route, which was a real shame as I jumped the gun and ordered 3 different pickguards to give me some options to mull over on pickup options (under the current guard it's routed for a humbucker in case I want some variety later). I ended up cutting one out from a blank using one of the new ones as a template for the overall shape and then just measured and cut the pocket to the current guitar spec. That's also why the guard is flush right across where the humbucker is. It all turned out ok, but I was really hoping for off the shelf convenience when I initially started this thing:lol:.
     
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
    BBQedIguana likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.