Show you're most desired vinyl album!

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by sheriff, Sep 6, 2015.

1. sheriff

sheriff TDPRI Member

This was a nice little idea i had since i am a vinyl collector :D
    There must be some more people especially here who still listen to vinyl.
    So show your most desired vinyl album, and of course the story behind it!

I only buy albums i think that are stunning on vinyl so makes me hard to choose...
    I guess mine would be Little Feat - the last record album..
    Mine old guitar teacher back in the days really liked this one but i didn't really thought it was so great.. but after listened it more i started to like it really and then i just came across a record shop and there it was!

Attached Files:

2. TelePhartz

TelePhartz Friend of Leo's

This might be the most collectable of the piddly collection I've got left.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

I should take pics of the albums I have. Probably somewhat desired since ALL of the vinyl I own was bought from about 62-70. I joined the Air Force after that and carrying vinyl around the world wasn't an option so they all were stored until 91 when I retired. By then vinyl was somewhat obsolete.

4. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

this sounds fantastic on vinyl

[​IMG]

as does this

[​IMG]

5. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I have so many holes in my vinyl collection I would even know where to begin.

6. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Telefied Ad Free Member

You sir have excellent taste!!!

I know lots of people deride this next album, but I've always loved it, especially on vinyl

[​IMG]

7. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

This one, a limited pressing by my very first band, Seiche.

We recorded it right out of high school.

Among collectors, it is highly sought after, and has sold for up to $1,800.

It's partly sought after for its rarity, but also because it's sort of heavy prog / hard rock / psychedelia and we were a trio of pretty rippin' players for a few 19 year olds. Certainly not claiming it's brilliant or anything, but it is definitely different. Listening to it now, it has a quirky innocence to it, as it is very clear that getting a record deal wasn't even a consideration. I was still innocent of all of that industry stuff.

I had only been playing for a few years, and I was really into the "rippin' lead guitar" thing (as many young players are), and I have to say, after all these years, I am still proud of my playing on that record. I was one of those guys who played 5 hours a day and I sound like it. The drummer and bass player were on that level too - great players, especially the bass player, who to this day is the best bass player I have ever played with. I'm talking about how he played back then. He's no doubt better now.

I have one copy only, which was given to me by a friend who had one since we put it out in 1980. Not sure what had happened to the copies I had before that.

Of course my reasons for its value have everything to do with sentimental value, as I am sure I will never sell it.

http://cdn.discogs.com/GYHeqQ8yjJco...ogs-images/R-6170587-1412824189-1125.jpeg.jpg

8. sheriff

sheriff TDPRI Member

Wow, that is really a nice one!

9. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I don't have a photo of it, but my most valuable album is The Beatles, also known as the "white album", pressed in white vinyl. It has only been on a turn table twice, and is in pristine condition.

10. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

Difficult to pick one.

[​IMG]

11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

The one I would most like to have ?

Beatles Yesterday and Today butcher cover.

It would be on Ebay the next day.

Or various Blue Note records of sidemen that are in the $2,000-$3,000 range.

Or a Black Patti 78.

I'd take any of those - and sell them all ! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

12. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

There was an episode of "Antiques Roadshow" where someone had one, but it had been scribbled on, which typically kills the value.

However, it turned out that the scribbling was from Stevie Ray Vaughn, who had owned it and written his name on it when he was 12 years old!

That made it an extremely unique piece, that was very difficult to put a value on.

13. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

these were fun to have:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I, too, have the white "White Album", but they sport a maroon Capitol label.

Scott

15. ryokan

ryokan Tele-Holic

One of my most cherished albums:

[​IMG]

I got it used in 1982 (?) and fell in love with it right away, amazing music. It's Suicide's first album, on a tiny label called Red Star Records.

Another very, very rare album in my collection:

[​IMG]

This is a release by Harry Partch on his own Gate 5 label. It has Harry's handwriting on the cover. Amazing music by an amazing composer.

16. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

I have Marshall tucker fire on the Mount
    Led Zeppelin 2
    Johnny cash live at San Quentin
    Wanted the outlaws
    Waylon dreaming my dreams
    Waylon honky tonk heroes
    Marty Robbins gunfighter ballads

17. drmcclainphd

drmcclainphd Tele-Afflicted

Pioneer chose my store as one of the first three in the US to roll out the Laserdisk machine. They supplied us with every disk that came out for the first two years. One of them was The Rainbow Goblins Story. It was a fairy tale written in 1978. It was turned into a stage musical show by one of the world's most superlative guitarists, Masayoshi Takanaka. Pioneer filmed his show at Budokan and made the laserdisk.

tak1.jpg

I became a collector of all things Rainbow Goblins. Book, stuffed animals, etc. I also became a collector of all things Masayoshi Takanaka. When Masayoshi-san released a Japanese studio version on vinyl, half speed mastered, each master cut with a new stylus on a Microsonics cutting cartridge, my pre-order for the import was in the first order sent. I also ordered the matching Microsonics playback cartridge. I played the album four times, recording it each time, once on a double speed deck. After that, album and cartridge went into environment controlled storage. That was in 1982. I'm still considering who will get it. One son is a superb guitarist and musician, with leanings to various styles from many cultures, much like Masayoshi-san. The other has two kids, my only grandchildren. It's a very tough call.

tak2.jpg

18. czgibson

czgibson Tele-Afflicted

I've started collecting records again after ten years without a turntable. I don't have anything hugely valuable, but they're all precious to me.

I have a few Bowie and Stones first pressings that sound wonderful. The older records tend to sound better and have fewer playing issues than the modern releases. A friend of mine kindly gave me some Flamin' Groovies first pressings. He's a massive fan of theirs and he introduced me to them, and gave me his spare copies of Now and the 'Feel A Whole Lot Better' 12". I managed to find an old copy of the Shake Some Action LP online yesterday and it's currently in the post. I've been looking for that one for a while.

Two records I'd love to get hold of are Neil Young's 'Tonight's The Night' and Wire's 'Pink Flag'. They don't seem to be easy to come by these days.

I'd also love an original copy of Hawkwind's Space Ritual, but according to a record dealer I spoke to, most of the copies that turn up are in a bad state, covered in burns or stained with bongwater.

The endless search continues!

19. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

20. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

I ran across this one the other day. I took the cellophane off just to see if the record labels were blank as well. While it's never been played, I spilled a little coffee on it. Still has the poster in it too. While cool to have, it's not really a favorite but Sweetheart of the Rodeo is is one of 'em...

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.