1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Show your Partscasters...

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by BritishBluesBoy, Mar 9, 2013.

1. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

It’s the feather from Super Mario Bros. 3 that give Mario the Raccoon tail! Nice! It’s a nice looking guitar, and any imperfections just add to its charm.

2. Jorgen83

Jorgen83 Tele-Meister

3. signine

signine TDPRI Member

I think it's a feather from Super Mario World, where you get the cape. I'm planning on making a waterslide with the word 'Feather' in a Fendery font for my tele build :)

I agree about the imperfections, they're what makes it feel like mine.

hellopike likes this.
  4. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

My latest "partscaster" rendition:

2018 Fender Tele Standard body in Arctic White finish, 2019 Fender American Performer Rosewood neck, Cavalier "Phoenix" Firebird neck pickup, Bootstrap "Original" bridge pickup, 500k Volume pot, No-load tone pot, .022uF cap, Switchcraft "Les Paul" style toggle switch, Rutters control plate. Tones and playability => magnificent! :)

As for parts casters? Assemble them yourself, with high quality components, to your personal specifications, and you've got a better than "factory assembled" guitar.

[​IMG]

5. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

100% agree. #BuildYourOwn

6. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

You’re right. SMB3 was the leaf that gave you the raccoon tail. It’s been a awhile. lol.

7. CHarg

CHarg TDPRI Member

My May 2019 partscaster has surprisingly become my #1, replacing my 9-pound Gibson "R7 Wraptail" goldtop Les Paul in the lineup (humbuckers with a stop tailpiece bridge, no tune-o-matic). It's a 3 lb ToneBomb knotty pine Esquire body from eBay ($55) with a Mighty Mite MV2905V Vintage-V maple neck ($133), Fender Roadworn hardware and tuners (with my additional aging using Birchwood Casey Plum Brown rifle barrel finish), a Seymour Duncan BG-1400 bridge pickup ($150, measures 29K ohms!) and a premium reverse Eldred Esquire wiring harness from kdpaulus on eBay ($47) using 250K CTS pots, Switchcraft output jack, nos Russian military paper-in-oil caps and a three-way Oak Grigsby switch. The finish is several coats of SealCoat wax-free sanding sealer tinted with Keda aniline dye, topped off with several coats of TruOil. The pickguard is a single-ply flat black Esquire pickguard, $14 from allsoundstore on eBay, with real alligator belly hide ($30) glued on with spray adhesive. Sounds great acoustically and plugged in, plays great, I think it's awesome all around (except my not-so-great finish work!).
    Just for the record, I have no affiliations with any of the sellers.

Attached Files:

8. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

No particular order, just what I had available to show... there's more... unfortunately, the ex got em all except the first one, and the several that went to friends.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one (above) has particularly interesting switching. I may do it again too, as it turned out really nice. The controls are Vol, HighCut, MidCut (using a Lawrence Q-Filter). The chicken head knob controls a 3 position switch. Middle position is "normal" switching with the toggle switch controlling the pickup selection. Rotate left, and you have both pickups, 60 degrees (or 120 degrees depending on your perspective), out of phase. Rotate right, and you have both pickups in series for really fat tones. In the left/right switch positions, the toggle is bypassed, since you need both pickups to make those alternate settings work. Volume, HiCut, MidCut work in every switch position. I did up my old LP BFG that way after talking to Bill Lawrence a bit, online, and on the phone twice. This was very close to the original "L6s" wiring that Gibby nixed in favor of a single 6 position switch. Bill would have used two toggles, one a special design, and Gibby thought it was too expensive, as they had a production budget already in mind. I miss Bill... great player, great mind, great person all round.

[​IMG]

Oh wait, this was Partscasters, not Toiletcasters! In the old old days of the 'net, there was a company online called Jammin'Johns. They had guitar body shaped toilet seats... Tele, Strat, PBass, LP, Martin... I saw that and said... "crap" (pun), if they can make a guitar body into a toilet seat, why not a toilet seat into a guitar body? And so this was born. Some amps there... especially 2x10 highly modded Bassman that kicks major ass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  9. DHart

I'm sure I've posted this somewhere around here before... anyway, Fender FSR Sea Foam Pearl with a Fender rosewood neck, Cavalier Lioness neck pickup, Fender Tex-Mex Strat bridge pickup. Awesome bright sparkly tones. One of my favorite guitars.

[​IMG]

Andre Rock, Fergyuk, Si G X and 9 others like this.
  10. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Afflicted

37A30D5F-4C02-4ADC-9A53-47C7628ACCF7.jpeg My latest, still under work...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  11. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

A work in progress....

D4D6A045-BEFF-46F5-AE23-67603F2910F9.jpeg

Andre Rock, Fergyuk, esetter and 10 others like this.
  12. rauchman

rauchman TDPRI Member

Greetings,

This is my first build that I'm just about done with. Body and neck are from Warmoth (body is swamp ash and neck is roasted maple with Wolfgang neck profile and Warmoth's stainless 6115 frets).

Finish is home applied True Oil/Sealer Filler and Keda Dye
    Pickups are Bill Lawrence (wildepickups) Twin Blades L48TL and L45
    Bridge is Gotoh
    Tuners are Hipshot
    Oaks 4 way switch (1 = Bridge, 2 = B/N Parallel, 3 = B/N Series, 4 = Neck)
    500k pots, but may switch to 250k pots - Guitar very bright but the tone knob is very useful

I am very happy with how this came out, both visually and in playability. There are a gazillion flaws, but in totality I think it's beautiful. The neck is superb. It's been wiped with 2 coats of true oil, a little Keda dye and sanded from 800 grit to 2000 grit on the backside. It is fantastic. I love the contour cuts of the body. Very comfortable when sitting, standing, etc. The coloring was done with playing with Keda dye and sealer. And then True Oil......lots of True Oil. Many mistakes which required sanding and more.....True Oil. One of the folks on unofficialwarmoth.com gave me an epiphany moment, for the last couple of coats for that session, mix with Naptha. All of the sudden, everything smoothed out and became really glossy.

I've never been a Tele guy. I've been playing a Les Paul since 1984 with Strats mixed in. Teles have never been on my radar until I got an itch to build a guitar. Originally was going to go with a Strat'eque something or other, but in looking at partscaster Tele's I went that route. Really didn't know what to expect sound wise. I had played a Tele Elite and MIM Deluxe Thinline. Tonally, I liked the Thinline better for cleans, but the neck on the Elite was great. Really didn't have enough of a test run with either to get a good feel of the Tele sound. From the 2 days I've had this thing in playable condition and playing on it for a few hours, I love the series sound of the 2 pups together. The bridge and neck sounds are growing on me. Much different from my beloved Les Pauls and surprisingly different from a Strat. I figured Fender based single coil guitars sound like all Fender based single coil guitars. There is something sweeter in the bridge pickup and the cleans are beautiful. Not quite sold on the pickups when driven yet, but they're growing on me. I had also picked up a set of Bill Lawrence (wildepickups) Microcoils that may yet go in. We'll see. I'm sure with time and some tonal experimentation I'll find "the sound" I'm looking for. This guitar has me thinking of a new amp.

The folks here and at unofficialwarmoth.com have been unbelievably helpful with this project. I've learned so much, and have much more to learn. I'm planning another project in the not too distant future. I will be feverishly reading...

Anyway, behold the Shore Caster (because it reminds me of the beach........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Andre Rock, Fergyuk, esetter and 10 others like this.
  13. DHart

Gorgeous! And congratulations to you.

Please say a bit about how you applied the Keda dye(s)?

And, where is the trim ring for the neck pickup from?

14. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Afflicted

The neck pupRing can be found on british shops or chinese. The chinese are made of plastic, the british side is metal base . Used both, and they work great!

15. rauchman

rauchman TDPRI Member

Thank you! It's been an effort of love

Here is the link for the pickup ring

Regarding the dye process.....

Mixed a solution of brown, black and red totaling 1/2 tbsp of dye per 8oz of water (I think it was 1/2 tbsp...I used the recommended water ratio as defined by Keda)
    Used Birchwood Casey Sealer Filler and lightly hit the entire body
    Applied dye solution - This filled in the grain lines and unbeknownst to me, the sealer hadn't covered all of the back or the sides creating heavy browns, which look beautiful. Also, on the front, there were varying densities of the sealer creating varying intensities of the blue dye
    Sanded using 220-320 grit
    Mixed a light solution of blue dye
    Using a rag, started wiping outward from about 2" out from the center of the body
    Mixed in a little more blue dye for a higher concentration
    Started wiping outward about 3-4" out from the center of the body
    Mixed in some black with the blue dye solution
    Hit the outer 1-2" with this solution
    Each dye layer used about 3-4 coats

Not a great pic, but I think it illustrates the browns on the back
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    Andre Rock likes this.
  16. DHart

Very cool! I assume you did the 3-4 coats of each dye layer before moving on to the next dye? And, did you apply anything between the last dye coat and the first Tru-Oil?

Thanks for mentioning thinning the Tru-Oil with Naptha for the last coat (or coats?). What ratio did you use?

I ask all these questions because I am about to undertake a complete tinting and finishing project on a bare-wood maple capped Tele Thinline.

rauchman likes this.
  17. rauchman

rauchman TDPRI Member

Yes, 3-4 coats of dye per layer. I think it was 1/2 tblspn per 8oz of water. Could be more or less though depending on how it's coming out for you. I had a piece of maple laying around in the garage and did some tint tests with it. Maple doesn't take dye as easily as the swamp ash body. At least the piece of maple I have. The dye takes, but it needs more coats and probably a strong ratio of dye to water. After all the dye work was done, did a final layer of sealer/filler. On retrospect, should have used more filler since some areas of the grain weren't completely filled. Having said that, it does have a cool effect. I'll call it...character!

For the Naptha / True Oil at least 50% Naptha. Playing around with different ratios delivers slightly different effects on how it lays. I wouldn't go more than 3 coats with the Naptha/True Oil blend. 2 coats wound up working better. The 3rd coat started delivering a higher screw up factor and there didn't seem to be much gain.

For sanding, I bought this variety pack from Amazon and it worked great. I found the watch outs for sanding were the edges. Really really easy to sand through the finish. Ask me how I know this?! I went through the edges a lot. Would then take some left over dye and reapply. Then...True Oil again. I'd take a 2"x3" or so sized piece of 1200 and feather the edges with it. Applied barely any pressure and this seemed to work. After dye application, I sanded using 320 applied the sealer/filler, then sanding from 320 to 800. Then True Oil. With the True Oil, I wouldn't go below 1000 grit. Usually 1200, and towards the end, 1500, then 2000, then polish ( I had Mequilars car polish on hand , and used that....seemed to work well), then Minwax Paste Finishing Wax. Gotta say, the guitar glows.

For application, I bought a $20 big bag of cotton rags from Lowes. I learned to give the rag a good shake, then cut to size and shake out again. This seemed to be the best way of avoiding lint. For the oil, I'd cut a 5"x6" or so piece and then fold it down to about 2" with no overhang in the corners. Once the oil was applied, I used a larger piece of cotton to wipe. The True Oil goes on very very thin. I found going past 4 coats started delivery problems. It would tack up. 3 coats seemed to be sweet spot. But, that's where the Naptha / True Oil blend would come in. It would smooth everything out and give it nice gloss. Let dry and start again the next day.

When I started, I was using 2" high or so plastic triangular finishing stands. These wound up putting little divots in each corner of the body. Don't use these!!!!! I would up filling some in when applying the True Oil, but there are still a bunch in the finish. Again....character! I wound up doing one side at time and taping along the edges so the drips wouldn't affect the other side. Again, ask me how I know this?! Prior to the tape, I'd wipe up with drips on the other side, would have to sand, would probably sand too much, reapply dye, reapply True Oil. Ughhh

Forgot to mention earlier, I did hit the roasted maple neck with the black, brown, red blend of Keda dye. Just 2 passes, wipe, let dry, then 2 coats of True Oil, wipe, let dry. The back of the neck was sanded from 800 grit to 2000 grit and is almost glossy and amazingly smooth. The rest of the neck was sanded to 1200.

The high pucker factor moments were when cutting the neck heel like the Fender Elites. I practiced on a few pieces of wood and wound up using a hand held reciprocating saw, like this. Clamped down the body on a table and went to town. Yeah, that was a little nerve wracking, but it worked. The other moment was when realizing the Bill Lawrence L45 Twin Blade pickup is sized for a Strat route, not a Tele. It didn't quite fit in the route, and wound up pulling out the handy dandy Dremel and the routing assembly for it. Had ordered the Strat pickup routing template from StewMac and went slowly,....and it worked. Phew!!!!!!!

awasson and DHart like this.
  18. DHart

rauchman... thank you!

rauchman likes this.
  19. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

“Rojo”

Body: Scratchbuilt alder. All wood work by me, Fiesta Red shot by Pat Wilkins. Pinstriped by Sonny Boy.

Neck: Tom Anderson blank. Carved, fretted, and finished by me.

Pickups: Neck - Gibson T-Top from a 70s Les Paul. Bridge - Rio Grande Tallboy

Gotoh hardware, Sprague, CTS, etc.

Just an all around badass guitar. My number 2 after my Strat.
    51D08806-C95A-4708-9FAF-AF5028320C60.jpeg

20. ShedYourHead

ShedYourHead NEW MEMBER!

ABB444C2-D517-45B3-AD78-8FE6EEED0203.jpeg 1C5C8F5B-8B74-4ACF-9A1A-5CC9E104C1C9.jpeg 2F3E3622-0C73-48D8-9A53-F31A92C9F1CE.jpeg First post on here. Just finished my first Tele build after a lot of Jazzmasters. MJT Thinline double bound body in chocolate burst. Musikraft roasted flame maple 24.75 scale conversion neck. Pickups are a Gemini Suprocaster in the bridge and a Mojo Guyatone Goldfoil in the neck. Mastery bridge. Decoboom pickguard. Originally built it to use set up for slide stuff but it sounds so good it’s become my number one.

Fergyuk, heffus, esetter and 15 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.