Show your GFS body projects!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mulic3, Dec 5, 2013.

1. mulic3

mulic3 Tele-Meister

Does anybody have any experience with those?
    I would like to replace my blacktop body in order to use the bridge pickup with a standard bridge plate and not the plastic thingy I got, which is out of place:
    [​IMG]
    Will they fit mim tele neck? Please share some pics!

2. marsh99

marsh99 Tele-Afflicted

I did this Esquire recently with a GFS body and a Fender spec neck (not an actual Fender neck). Despite what they say on their website, the parts are not a good fit. String through holes on my body were out of alignment as were the neck screw holes. Made it work though and i'm happy with it - one good thing is that they are very lightweight bodies. There is quite a bit of discussion on this forum about GFS bodies if you do a search. By the way, I'm referring to the Paulownia wood bodies that GFS do - I have no experience with their ash bodies. Here's the Esquire:

PB120199.jpg

3. chipbutty24

chipbutty24 Friend of Leo's

You are likely better off with what you have rather than trying to make a GFS work. ^^^^

4. marsh99

marsh99 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, i would stick with what you have. Maybe look at other options for modding the bridge without changing the body?

5. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I built a partscaster out of one of their ash bodies and everything fit. YMMV.

6. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

I am just starting a project using the "white double bound" body. So far the neck screws are off a bit and the thru body holes are not lined up. Mrs Coach just ordered me a set of Ron's templates, I can't wait to lay one on the body and see where things really end up.

I am still excited about the project, but it may be a little more work then I was planning on. You can follow it here. http://www.tdpri.com/forum/other-t-types-partscasters/442207-new-project-white-tuxedo-build.html

-Harry

7. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

Seems like you could use an American Standard bridge and make that work?

8. ecoli

ecoli Tele-Meister

You get what you pay for is right. I got a body and the neck holes don't line up, the bridge holes are aligned with each other, but not the body, and the neck pocket is not aligned either. Can make it work, but it's definitely not a bolt on project (more of a fill, redrill, re-route and then bolt on project).

If that is an actual blacktop, not a Fender-esque body, I'd say you'd be better off selling or trading it for the style you want.

Did she get them off of Ron's website? I looked, and there aren't any in stock currently which is why I ask. Maybe there's another source :D

9. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

His SIL is selling them on eBay do a search on Tele Template

10. ecoli

ecoli Tele-Meister

Thanks guys! Ouch, 40 bucks for shipping to Canada.

Sorry to the OP for the off-topic discussion!

11. mulic3

mulic3 Tele-Meister

Haha Nevermind! Glad it was helpfull to you.

12. fabricator

fabricator Tele-Meister

I've tried them before. In the end, the money I saved, I more than made up for in hours spent trying to make them work.

I do like the paulownia wood, though - it's ridiculously lightweight and very resonant.

I've emailed GFS several times about selling paulownia blanks so I can cut/route my own bodies (I have yet to find a good source), but they don't seem to have any interest in selling those. Too bad. I would imagine they could sell the raw lumber for about the cost of an unfinished body.

13. stankepanck

stankepanck Tele-Holic

Here is one I built with an old mim neck. The string through holes were a bit off. Other than that it was a decent body. The guitar turned out to play nicely.

ForumRunner_20131205_145604.jpg

14. fretman_2

fretman_2 Friend of Leo's

Here's mine (both body and neck are GFS)...

[​IMG]

15. ezas

ezas TDPRI Member

Ive been considering an 'all parts come from' GFS build just to see how the build goes. Every part down to pickguard screws (which I don't recommend) to see what I come up with for ~$350 in parts.

I've used a fair amount of their parts already and know that some of them I like , up to I really like, so it won't end up wasted project.

And this is what I'm considering putting it in. Kind of unique and not the kind of thing I usually like but this works for me.

Attached Files:

16. ezas

ezas TDPRI Member

Fretman - that's a really nice looking guitar.

17. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

Blemish body with a blemish neck

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The p'ups were cheapies that I decide sounded horrible, so I put some Mean 90s in it.

[​IMG]

Then I bought this body
    [​IMG]

I bought some decent p'ups for the Strat and am planning on putting the Mean 90s in the new body. I painted it months ago and it's sat ever since... priorities changed I guess.

Here's the thread for that build:
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/365362-another-gfs-clearance-build.html

And a thread for the strat build:
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/282973-another-gfs-partscaster.html

18. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I suppose my tolerance for GFS fitting flaws is tempered by the fact I also make my own bodies from lumber and I know my way around woodworking tools. If something needs re-drilling or widening, I can do it without too much agita.

I actually have one of their SG bodies on order and we'll see how that one works out. I have also ordered a couple of their "factory clearance" bodies with no expectations and they have been fun to mess around with. With prices around $29 you can experiment to your heart's content if that's your thing.

19. fretman_2

fretman_2 Friend of Leo's

Thank you EZAS...it's a sweet playing thing too!
    It was a blem body and a blem neck...couldn't find much wrong with the body and didn't see anything wrong with the neck.

If you get something you don't like from GFS...let them know...they're real good to work with.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.