Show Your First Guitar

SparkleFart

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Mine was an 81 Bullet as well. Your creative mods are pretty creative. The others in the Bullet (80s Bullets not current bullet line) would probably enjoy seeing and hearing about it:

Well thank you. At the time I had no money and even less sense, but I wanted a real tele so very bad. This was the closest I could come.

The owner of the local music store was throwing out a left-handed strat bridge, so he gave it to me & I set about my first cannibalization. That original bridge/saddle arrangement did rattle, didn't it? You did a far nicer re-work of yours -- well done!

Some 40 years & several teles later, I still have a soft spot for that thing. Guilt maybe? Certainly nostalgia. I stumbled on the Fender Bullet Owners Club here a couple years ago but considering what I did to mine, it seemed best not to publicize my crimes. Yours really do look great.

edvard

Friend of Leo's
The First guitar was a Classical Guitar bought at Thearle Music Co in La Mesa at Grossmont Center. It came with 5 lessons, a strap and a weird Music book (with things like Greensleves and other not fun for me music). Long since gone - I don't even remember who I sold it to. This is not my guitar - but it is one just like it.

s-l1600.jpg

My first electric was a Les Paul Style guitar from Sears - It played okay - and I had a real Gibson Humbucker put in the Bridge by American Dream Music. I only have the Sears Wish List Catalog to remember it from. I didn't get the Amp.
View attachment 940981

The butt-end of the guitar just above the Sears Les Paul looks an AWFUL lot like my first guitar; a Woolworth Top 20 that belonged to my grandfather. He could rip out Hank Marvin licks on it like it was nothing. When he let me borrow it, it was like playing bridge cables strung across the Grand Canyon. OK, it wasn't THAT bad, but close. Those pickups were smooooooth though.

421JAM

Tele-Afflicted
It occurred to me that I was wrong in my previous post. My first guitar was actually a plastic Kiss guitar that I got for Christmas in 1981 or ‘82. It was pretty neat, but within a matter of days I smashed it on my bed while pretending to be Paul Stanley and the neck broke off. I hid it in my closet so I wouldn’t get in trouble.

Ronzo

Tele-Afflicted
3852DBA1-FBAD-4129-9656-C1D149C98D7F.jpeg

Not mine, but it is the identical guitar to my first one, bought by my parents as a Christmas gift just after my eleventh birthday in 1962. An Airline f-hole acoustic. They paid $50 USD for it, with a cheap cloth gig bag. At the time, my Dad earned about $5,000 USD per year. My Mom was a stay-at-home, recovering from her first radical mastectomy.

I wasn’t a dumb kid. When we broke the high e string tuning it on Christmas Day, we went to the same music store to buy a replacement, and I saw the price on the floor model. I realized that my parents had spent a good chunk of their income for me, and that I owed it to them to make sure I learned to play it.

I still have it, and I play it from time to time. I’ll never sell it.

jfgesquire

Friend of Leo's
I learned how to play guitar on my uncle's 1947 J-45, clearly I was spoiled, so for my 20th birthday in 1987 I reached high and saved all my JCPenney shoe department money and ordered a brand new recently released Rickenbacker 360/12v64.

I still have it, in very good+ condition, except for the yellowed binding from all the smoke in bars in the late 80s early 90s.

FB_IMG_1565189278909~2.jpg

Last edited:

StoneH

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
First guitar was a Woolworth acoustic with strings seemingly a foot off the fretboard that my parents bought for me when I was ten years old, so I could take lessons in school and learn first position chords. Sadly I don't have a photo of it.

First electric guitar was a Hondo II Les Paul clone (which weighed as much as Norlin Les Pauls typically weighed back then) bought from Sunset Music in Willingboro, NJ in December of 1982, along with a Marshall Lead 12 amp:
I've had this one for 50 years:

1642447187430.png

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
Like @Quexoz, my first electric was a Univox Hi Flier. So easy to play--compared to my entry level Yamaha acoustic--it felt like I was cheating.

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
The first guitar I ever owned was this POS Nylon string number which I got for Christmas, I held onto it for a long time though until in the nineties I decided to throw it in a dumpster.

In 1986, and seeing how serious I was about playing, my mom bought me my first proper guitar, again a Nylon string number, Aria Pro2, which I still own, it hangs on my wall of fame.
gtrs.JPG

Also clearly visible is my first good electric, a red Squier Strat which I bought on my fifteenth birthday back in 1991, I trashed it within inches of its life but it always came back for more. Lovingly nicknamed "The Veteran" it's been retired from road use but I still use it for recordings every once in a while.

Platefire

Friend of Leo's
In Zwolle Living Room playing my first Harmony Guitar 1964.png
This is my first guitar Harmony Arch-top.
Picture dated Feb 1964. I latter added the
pickguard package that was by Kent that
included two single coil
pickups, a volume and two tones. At first
I had no amp and so--me and my guitar buddy
Charlie, we both plugged into his amp. I later
got a Silvertone 1482, my first amp. Here is a pic
of Charlie and I with our axes about 1965.
Me and Charlie Supulvado at his House in 1964 playing my Harmoney with Kent pickups.png

My Guitar History is as per Link

Just for grins I throw in a pix of my first solid body Electric. An Airline from Montgomery Wards.
AirlineGuitar[1].jpg

Last edited:

ClashCityTele

Friend of Leo's
Not the absolute first, but close to it.

This poor thing, an early 80's Fender Bullet. I just had to make it better by hacking off its integral metal "bridge," drilling it for string-through ferules, and installing a left hand strat bridge. Sure wish I'd left it alone. Thus began a lifetime of molesting perfectly good instruments.

View attachment 940795

It does have a nice neck, if a little small for my paws. I keep it out of sentimentality and as a reminder not to mess with stuff. It hasn't worked :lol:
That's a cute little guitar. My friend, Paul, bought one of those brand new in 1981. A year later he sold me his 1977 Fender Telecaster Standard plus hard case. Still have it. I think I got the better deal.

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
The first I really played was my dad's Harmony archtop. Man, what a dog.

My own first one was this one. A 1988 American Standard Stratocaster in Pewter with a Rosewood fretboard. Got new for Christmas of the same year.

I still had it up until a few years ago. But that's another story.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211012-210048_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20211012-210048_Instagram.jpg
    486.7 KB · Views: 14

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Not this exact guitar, but nonetheless a 1970 Alvarez that I got used 35+ years ago, with it's HSC, for 75 bucks I think. I would learn on this guitar and then hit the country music scene, about a year later, professionally. This guitar has toured the country and been on the stage, and back stage, with some of the famous folks. What a swell time in my life it was, loads of fun and met some amazing people. Man if this thing could talk ;) I still have it today, but it's a lot more battle scared and beat up than this one... I was thinking of selling it but my wife put her foot down, cause it was this guitar I serenaded her with LOL!!! Literally she said "You'll sell your Martin before you ever sell that old Alvarez!" LOL!! Ok dear... I guess I'll keep it :)

1642645305519.png