Show Your Downsized/Streamlined/Minimal Rig!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Veeseaczar, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Veeseaczar

Veeseaczar TDPRI Member

Lately, I've been inspired/excited by players who use very little to achieve an iconic sound. We've played a lot of shows with bands who have like entire spaceships at their feet, and sound really good... But they're always doing a tap dance, not being present within the performance. I look at people Johnny Greenwood or Bo Madsen or even Bill Frisell, who have a signature sound or playing style but aren't so distracted by unnecessary bells and whistles. Plus, we're sort of a punk band, we need to jump about when we play.

I used to have a 2x12 valve amp and an effects rig that had its own suitcase-sized flight box. Loading in all that plus our ridiculous 8×10 bass cab, full drum kit, several percussion stations, a keyboard *and* rhodes piano... It was a damned nightmare. Too much gear to haul through the winding and treacherous hallways and staircases of most small-to-medium-sized clubs. We had to downsize on all fronts without compromising sound.

I'm realizing this all folds into a general aesthetic I have towards art or design: squeezing every meaningful drop from a highly distilled set of moving parts.

So this is the current state of my touring/general setup:

20180127_032145.jpg

That's right. *A* delay, *an* overdrive, *a* compressor, and a tiny tuner through an AC15, and sounded by a Modern Player Thinline Deluxe. I had an Arena Reverb pedal which I pulled off because its effect can be achieved with the Flashback delay and really short delay times. Also it was buzzing something awful.

The idea is that with this setup, nearly every conceivable sound that I'd use or is worth using is afforded to me, and different venue types are accounted for with different gain structures available between the MojoMojo, the SP compressor, and the amp itself.

I may one day add a more reliable reverb pedal back to the board, maybe upgrade the MP90s to Lollars (anyone done that? Do you support the switch?), and swap out the overdrive for a more transparent one--the MojoMojo simply doesnt sound alright when the Drive is dialed past like 9:00, though the Level knob helps compensate for that. (I guess technically they were modeling an AC15 anyway when they made it.)

The point is, I feel like I'm currently playing through the equivalent of an old diesel engine. Not many moving parts and truly nothing fancy, it simply gets the job done efficiently.

That being said I'm always looking out for ways to compact/simplify even further, short of simply playing into the amp. Show me what you've been able to squeeze out of as few components as possible!

Vladimir likes this.
  2. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Never.

More is always better.

It’s also more.

Anode100 and Veeseaczar like this.
  3. Veeseaczar

Veeseaczar TDPRI Member

Hahaha

4. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I'm a minimalist when it comes to my guitar rig, whether for electric or acoustic/electric guitar.

For electric guitar, it's one of my 4 teles straight into one of my 3 Vox Pathfinder 15R amps. The PF15R has spring reverb and tremolo depth and speed controls, which is all the modulation I need. And between the Gain and Volume controls and the Boost switch, I can dial in the amount of crunch that I need, which isn't a lot. It works very well in small venues, and the Line Out from the rear panel going into the PA sounds good through the mains, so it's a very useful and versatile amp. And it weighs less than 20 lbs. and has a small footprint, so very convenient for load-in. So yeah, one of these...

Or if an acoustic gig, one of my acoustic/electrics into my Fishman Loudbox Mini. The Loudbox has reverb and chorus for the instrument channel, which again is plenty for me. And like the Pathfinder, it is lightweight, small and really convenient. And also has an XLR Out on the rear panel, so again, versatile. Lately, it's this Logan Custom T-style acoustic/electric into the Loudbox Mini.

The only pedal I own is a Boss ME-70 multi-fx, and I almost never gig with it. In the 4-5 years that I've owned it, I've gigged with it just 4-5 times. Shoot, I can go a month or more at a time without ever plugging into it.

5. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

I'm a minimalist, I always use guitar-cord-amp.

I find pedals a distraction, plus my playing is fairly straightforward in a soul band/jam night style.

Simple set ups encourage you to use the amp/guitar controls more plus your finger more IMO.

Ben-Zion and Veeseaczar like this.
  6. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

I like simple rigs.
    Don't have a pic but usually it is:
    Guitar>tuner>boss DS1>fuzz>delay.
    That's it.

7. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

Usually a Les Paul special and a telecaster for backup. Tuner on top of an amp and very rarely will I bring an overdrive. Amp is an ac30 with celestion blues. I hate making more than two trips to set up. If they provide an amp I'll bring an od pedal and it'll be one trip and I'll be happy.

8. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

My regular rig is pretty small - Guitar, tuner, wah, amp...

Then a noise gate, EQ, and delay in the effects loop.

Covers a wide range of applications.

9. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I own some effects but my approach changed so much over time that I prefer going straight in.

10. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

BR amps.jpg Simple rig, jmp50 plexi or dsl40cr head or 3203.(Depending on my mood of heaviness), 2 2x12 cabs and 2 Gibsons of choice for the night and a tuner. Simple load in and out.

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

This has been my minimal rig lately. Tele (tt/Broadcaster) through a Mr. Black Deluxe Plus (trem/reverb) into my Greta with different tubes and speaker. I have been doing some noobie recording from this awesome combo lately with some great sounds. IMG_2979.JPG

bftfender likes this.
  12. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Update to my acoustic/electric downsized/streamlined rig referred to in post #4 above: a pic of the Logan Custom a/e tele style and the Fishman Loudbox Mini...

06-01-2018 - My Logan Custom acoustic-electric & Fishman Loudbox Mini.jpeg 01-09-2018 - Logan Custom acoustic-electric - 1.jpeg

This rig is what I gig with most often now. The guitar is feather light, and I carry it in the SKB soft case pictured above. That goes in my left hand, along with my mic stand. The Loudbox Mini is in my right hand, and a backpack that serves as my gig bag is on my back. No need for a dolly or cart to load-in. One trip, easy peasy.

13. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

64Tele3.JPG

These two sound good enough together that I don't need much else, although I keep in tune with a tuner pedal, and I really like delay so lately I've been using a Strymon El Capistan for that.

Ben-Zion likes this.
  14. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

My various Strats and the same old Princeton Reverb since about 1985, delay unit as required. For the last 18 months the Princeton has been replaced by my Katana. Even the delay unit is redundant now.

twotone60 likes this.
  15. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I only play at home and it’s been the same thing since the 1970s:

Guitar -> overdrive pedal -> Fender amp with reverb on 3.

Even now that I have a Mustang III with a gazillion amps and effects, I still set it to a Deluxe Reverb with the reverb on 3 and stick an actual overdrive pedal in front.

twotone60 likes this.
  16. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

I couldn't really have much less-my sig line is my entire 'rig'. The Cornford is being sold as it is just too heavy for me now. I'm considering a Vox AC10 and an SM57 as replacements. The Cornford at 30 watts doesn't need any reinforcement.

17. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

Is the Logan made by Washburn? The bridge looks very familiar.
    [​IMG]

18. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sorry, couldn't resist...

JB-Gear-1024x532.jpg

titan uranus likes this.
  19. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

this is it, straight into the board, no amp. Flyrig RK5, Dunlop Mini-wah, Turbo Tuner. Flyrig pedalboard copy.JPG

20. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

Bill and elihu like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.