Show us your Robben Ford inspired tribute Telecasters

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by rze99, Jul 2, 2020.

1. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I know there are quite a few Robben Ford fans on these pages. I'm guessing one or two have a Tele build that is inspired by Robben's iconic aged white one.

Show us yours!

Here's mine. I actually didn't set out to make or get one I was just searching for parts and came by this one locally (London). I don't know much about it other than it is a Nash, MJT, Road worn type, relic’d and aged has chunky C neck with Brazilian rosewood fretboard with clay type markers, big frets. There is a card in the case that says the pickups are "Vintage Restorations Wax potted scatter wound '50-'62 reproduction made in England". Bridge: 6.76k 42, Neck: 7.43 43 but that's all I know. Anyway, I thought it looked cool and like Robben Ford's and was priced way lower than the components so I nabbed it. It gets played a fair bit. It has a touch of that woody honk and snap like the oldies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nick-O, Tony Forman, gtrwrks and 23 others like this.
  2. d barham

d barham Tele-Holic

Wow, that looks great. Does it have a top loader bridge plate?

nojazzhere and rze99 like this.
  3. rze99

nope

4. d barham

d barham Tele-Holic

Not certain Robben Ford’s has a top loader bridge plate. I know at least some from ‘59-‘60 did, even though they could string through the body as well.

5. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Afflicted

5D986CFF-B7C9-4C92-87D8-E0D3E0FF059E.jpeg I didn’t intentionally try for a Robben Ford look, but I was putting together a tele in tribute to my dog. Meet “Cricket” - Blonde ash Baja body with classic 60’s neck (pau ferro fretboard). Twang King neck pickup in gold (he can be a diva oftentimes) and a Pete Florance Nocaster in the bridge (I bought it from Pete 1 month before he passed). Of course for me, 4-way switch.

6. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Normally I prefer a dark rosewood or maple fretboard, but I think the tan-color Pau Ferro board is a beautiful looking fit with the body color. Great looking guitar.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    63 vibroverb likes this.
  7. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Is that a Fender neck?

I'm not much of a fan of relics, but that one looks really good!

8. rze99

As it was sold to me, and the seller said he bought it from a pro player, everything is a replica part aside from the bridge and saddles. I haven’t had it apart to check nick and body markings but I will at some point. Everything is very high quality that’s for sure. Easily custom shop standard whoever put it together was on top of the job.

nojazzhere and DHart like this.
  9. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Not the real RF deal but in the ballpark. I need to take better pics IMG_20200314_143544_copy_800x600.jpg

10. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

This is not a partscaster but I hope it’s okay to contribute.

i ordered this specifically inspired by Ford’s Tele. BA10A142-9E68-4C0F-9020-3011C08EA70C.jpeg C5C19E8D-E9EF-4EC8-8BD1-DD860EA6C0E1.jpeg

11. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Beautiful color... almost looks like the new Butter Cream?

burntfrijoles likes this.
  12. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

it’s Vintage White, which is supposed to mimic a yellowed Olympic White.

13. rze99

that’s a beautiful Tele

burntfrijoles likes this.
  14. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Afflicted

I agree about rosewood and maple. The reddish tint to Pau Ferro seems to go well with some lighter colors, so I was happy with it. That’s my first pau ferro neck, kinda took a chance on it. My dog is a fireball, so the red color conveys his personality well, haha.

15. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Afflicted

Here mine... allparts aged neck, but added a 4 positions switch on Texas Specials...
    A71F9CA7-819F-4C31-8B55-5B9ACBF9CBCD.jpeg

16. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Holic

Roben Ford inspired, Dumble ODS clone, count?
    VHT D-50
    IMG_20200521_132008.jpg

nojazzhere, richiek65, Jlwctn and 2 others like this.
  17. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Robben has inspired me many time to modify my tele.... I’m finally going through with it!! I’ll be in the driveway smashing it to pieces if you’ll like to see it...

Ebidis, richiek65 and stressdoubt like this.
  18. stressdoubt

stressdoubt TDPRI Member

I am loving all of the Teles in this thread - they look great! I am at the start of my Robben Ford Tele journey. At the moment all I have is a cardboard box with some bits in it and the words 1960 Tele Project written on the lid - string tree, control plate, electrosocket jack, strap pins and some Gotoh vintage tuners! Some are reliced, some are shiny so the first job will be to sort that out!

I do have a neck, in fact I have two (due to a eBay cockup on my part) one is a second hand 60s Baja rosewood (9.5” radius) and the other is a brand new Classic 60s pau ferro neck (7.25” radius) which looks stunning apart from the colour of the fretboard which is tan.

[​IMG]

I didn’t actually mean to buy the Baja neck - it was advertised as a Classic 60s rosewood with a 7.25” radius - perfect for this I thought but instead the Baja neck turned up! So I chucked it on a 90s Korean Squier body with some late 80s Japanese Squier pickups to see how it played. It is a proper partscaster, the neck plays fantastically and the rosewood is a lovely colour but the headstock and back of the neck are much paler than the Classic 60s neck which has more of that aged amber tint (it doesn’t really show up in the photo too well) also the Classic 60s has faux clay dots too which is more in keeping with the 1960 Tele vibe so I am not sure which one will end up on the final build. I will probably try both to see which ones feels nicest or keep an eye out for a second hand rosewood Classic 60s neck as I really want that 7.25”!

Also I found a photo of the bridge on Robben Ford’a Tele and it’s like the Jimmy Page ones as it has the holes for both top loading and string through so I have one of those on order - that will go in my little cardboard box too [emoji41]

63 vibroverb, Old Plank and rze99 like this.
  19. rze99

PM sent.

stressdoubt likes this.
  20. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My first Strat was a Vintage White. Loved that guitar but someone decided they needed it more than I did

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.