Show us your Pedal board.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Twangbanger, Aug 23, 2006.

1. JRSIV

JRSIV TDPRI Member

20210605_183631.jpg

I've been playing since the summer of '92 and save for a few overdrives (an OCD & a Tube Screamer) and a wah pedal I used very rarely, I've never had an official "pedalboard".

The last year of course has meant lots of extra playing time and after seeing multiple videos and articles about the influx of budget Chinese clones of famous pedals, I figured I'd try to put one together.

I was happy overall with the pedals I got. The only real turds were the Monoprice Stage Right Fuzz and Overdrive. To me where the budget pedals excel is overdrive & distortion. The iSet Reverb I bought was serviceable but not exactly what I wanted. I loved the KMise Vintage Phaser but it is only a Phase 45 type phaser and I wanted the more extreme Phase 90 variety. The MXR Phase 95 was exactly what I wanted.

Another excellent pedal is the Azor Tremolo, a Boss TR-2 clone. It does the choppy square wave trem really well, but I really wanted a tap tempo trem that had a smooth Fender amp tremolo vibe. The JHS Kodiak is excellent for that, and I'm really happy with it. If I had room I'd probably keep both of them on the board.

I know we all say it, but I feel like this board has everything I wanted on it and I am done for awhile. I want to take a few months to trial & error and really get good sounds with what I have.

The signal chain is:

GUITAR-->
    •Vox Wah on floor into board-->>
    •Earthquaker Devices Spatial Delivery->>
    •Kokko Compressor-->>
    •Gokko Sonic Flame Overdrive (Klon clone)-->>
    •Caline Orange Burst (BBE PreAmp clone)-->>
    •Joyo Ultimate Drive (OCD clone)-->>
    •Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion-->>
    •Gokko Rocket Distortion -->>
    •MXR Phase 95 Phaser-->>
    •Behringer UV300 Vibrato (Boss V2 clone)-->>
    •JHS Kodiak Tremolo-->
    •Joyo D-SEED II Delay/Looper-->>
    •Keeley 30ms Artificial Double Tracker/Reverb-> -->AMP

I added a Fender foot switch to turn the spring reverb off/on in the Monoprice 15 watt tube amp I'm using. I've tried the board through my Fender Deluxe Reverb but it gets really loud quick and it doesn't sound as good quietly as the Monoprice does. The 15W/1W switch really allows me to drive the preamp without pissing everyone off.

2. reingarnichts

reingarnichts TDPRI Member

had the urge to downsize again and keep it as simple as possible.
    I play mostly in a prog/kraut band and some free improv/avantgarde/noisemaking stuff...

downsizedBoard.jpg

-The tuner is one of the cheapest tuners you can find but better than a headstock tuner (my guitar is headless...).

-The cheap NUX Compressor is mostly for clean tapping riffs (I sometimes need this) and does the trick just fine...

-The Nano POG is mainly in Octave up mode for synthlike leads beyond the normal fretboard, I used to play a hex-pickup and still love the octave up GR300 sound... This is just a cheap excuse for this, but much easier to handle. Octave down+dry+Octave up also gives nice organ-like stuff. A lot of sounds can be found in here, some useful, some not so much.

-Blackstar LT Dual: I need an overdriven sound and a lead sound, this pedal does both and sounds very "amp like" (I hate to describe it this way). Basically adds two channels to a clean amp, excellent switching system (no double taps or tap dance needed).
    Very underrated pedal in my opinion, the sound is really quite good.

-the Hotone Vow-Press is very new to me. I tried to find a small and light volume pedal, mostly for swells.
    This one does swells just fine. It's of course a bit less comfortable than a "grown up" pedal, but it weighs much less.
    I am not sure about the wah function yet - it's a pity that it has to stay behind my OD pedal for the swells, but maybe there are some nice sounds in it, I have to see/hear...

-the Digitech Delay has been a friend for more than 12 years now. I think this was my first pedal and I still use it a lot. There are probably much nicer delays around now but I know this one inside out and I like the tape delay on this pedal.

-The Freeze is also in heavy use depending on the project, with my improv trio I use it constantly to hold chords, singlenotes, noises... Also nice to freeze notes midline when playing single note runs. Really something unique and enables to do some very interesting things.

With a clean amp with some spring reverb this is enough. Might add a small chorus, but I'm not sure...

(sorry for the dirty carpet, filthy rehearsal space in an old bunker)

3. Kennya123

Kennya123 TDPRI Member

226059B4-4DD7-4CD9-B2F5-C1233181D37D.jpeg

Guitar to wampler Hotwired- mxr phase 90 - JHS Emperor - TC electronic flashbackx4 -vox AC 10

4. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

5. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

C3B31775-6A62-42D8-945A-2CC3854036DC.jpeg My Long-in-the-Making “Rock-a-Billy Board”

6. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

• 20210530_134856.jpg
    • 20210616_193227.jpg

northernguitar likes this.
  7. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I have 2, one for each amp. Both Cioks powered, just what I need and nothing that I dont.

8. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

upload_2021-6-20_11-18-19.jpeg

Tuner > fuzz factory > comp (orange squeezer by Chicago Stompworks) > prince of tone > nano pog > plus sustain pedal > delay (with expression pedal > looper. Verb and trem in amp (Milkman The Amp 50 most of the time).

Telecaster88 and northernguitar like this.
  9. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

3894C037-EA0B-41AE-AF4B-5A46AF1DDF11.jpeg

10. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Friend of Leo's

This works equally well with electric, acoustic & bass. IMAG1259.jpg

11. Little Jay

Little Jay Tele-Meister

I might have posted it here before but here’s a recent l version of my El Cheapo AliExpress mini pedals board, made to fit into a small laptop bag (I hate lugging big pedal cases around). Actually, the MXR mini power brick is almost as expensive as all the mini-pedals together! (The Dunlop mini wah not included). Works like a charm, sounds great! Especially the tremolo, delay and phaser punch way above their weight imho. I use this on stage in an Amy Winehouse tribute theatre show.
    CC807389-AC49-4F0F-A94C-B836B8C34C71.jpeg EBD7B5B8-60B3-4026-B15F-D082E2D3B55D.jpeg 7CDF096F-D66E-471F-83C7-93FEEA73DAE5.jpeg 3A9EFC68-1221-4670-9561-204EBC2BEE11.jpeg 0AE04B2B-0252-4DEE-B4E8-2C84BA0887C5.jpeg 9281338B-25FD-4909-ACB6-334FE9E195BB.jpeg

12. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Tele-Meister

Pretty much done.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

After years of fighting the pedals, I finally threw up the white flag. IMG_20210708_223139412.jpg

14. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

'Pretty much done'

[​IMG]

Sweet board!!

Brett Valentine and 4pickupguy like this.
  15. northernguitar

I took everything apart today. That includes the pedal switcher, where number three had a sticky switch. I cleaned the contacts and it works like a charm.

New pedal is a clone of an EQD Acapulco Gold, beside the Bad Monkey. I called it 'DOOM' and it's an apt descriptor of the sound coming out. The sideways pedals are from l-r; BYOC Tremolo (purple), BuGGFX Raincoat Fuzz (black) and BYOC 'Leeds' Superfuzz (aluminum). The mini aluminum is a StripFX Rangemaster clone.

[​IMG]

4pickupguy likes this.
  16. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Tele-Meister

. . .well. . . for THAT board. . .
    And thanks.

I tried to build a "no compromise" board that get's my sound and feel from clean to full lead. The only thing missing is a Mr. Black harmonic trem mini pedal that switches out with the Hotone chorus for now (once I finally get the CIOCKS DC 10 Link and Adam to be able to power everything up separately.
    The Strobostomp HD goes into the Quartermaster (and is also powering it), and the first loop is only the Ratsbane (my instant lead channel). It flipflops with the other loop that has the Timmy, Soul Driven, SlideRIG compact, and the RevivalDrive HR compact. The Diamond Comp jr is the first pedal outside of the loops, and that goes into the Vertex Steel String (didn't like it as a "clean" drive, but I like it a lot as a clean boost.

I have a larger board that is going to be able to cover any gig and get a wider range of tones. I also have a small "fx" board that can go in front of either of the two, or even my older live rig. I need to set that one up on the Pedaltrain board I swapped with this one.

17. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

Pedalboard.jpg

Brett Valentine likes this.
  18. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

How do you operate that on the stage?

giphy.gif

19. northernguitar

Ha! Not far from it. The loop-strip is there to cut down the amount of pedals in the chain, and for easy stomping. I never add modulation fx to a song mid way, it's always present before the song starts. But I can turn it on/off easily with the single loop pedal.

I know, it's ridiculous.

24 track and Mr_Martin like this.
  20. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I tried this method

main-24.jpg

and after years of training , here's me in action

funny-orangutan-dance-4460.gif

but my results were unpredictable

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.