Show us your Pedal board.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Twangbanger, Aug 23, 2006.

1. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Yeah that's why I figured id do it. I got the Barber TPC as a gift. I planned on returning it and getting the Ego comp but I've enjoyed the Barber so much I never took it back. I've played egos quite a bit and they seem to have more "squish" on tap. The Wampler has the tone knob which helps fill in some of the top end that you lose at higher compressed settings but the Barber has two "subtlety" switches. One does the same thing, adds some top end back, but it also has a bass switch to get a nice percussive sound.
    I'm going to try and do a really comprehensive review. Like, each pedal on their own back and forth and then show them both before an overdrive and after an overdrive. I'm not trying to see if one is "better" than the other because it's so subjective. But the Barber is quite a bit cheaper and I think it'll hang with the Wampler. But there's a reason ever pedal board I see in Nashville has an Ego on it. I use to see a lot of the older tone press but the new compact TP hasn't caught on here like I though it would. Maybe it just needs more time. It's a really amazing pedal. I use it and a Durham Sex Drive always on for my clean sound and it's really good. With those two pedals I could get "my" clean sound out of any amp. It's super shimmery and sparkly but still warm, deep and complex. Especially for open chords. The Sex Drive helps add dynamics to those country double stops and chicken pickin in general. I set the Sex Drive with the level cranked and the drive way done and because of the barber I leave the comp switch in the off position. I keep saying I want another Sex Drive to use as a boost. Lol. But I'll probably just get an EQD Tone Job.

2. telerocker1988

telerocker1988 Tele-Afflicted

Agreed. The CS-1 is too squishy, the CS-2 is too transparent, and the CS-3 is about the perfect medium for a BOSS comp.

3. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Yeah. Everyone always told me the CS-2 was the holy grail for country. But in country I use the compressor more as an actual effect and the CS-2 really didn't give me that. I know a lot of country guys that use CS-3s with the monte mod and they sound pretty good. I've never gigged a CS-3 though so I don't know much about the squish factory there.
    At NAMM last weekend there was a guy with a new comp called the Janglebox. He had a huge one (like strymon timeline size) but he also had a smaller version that I played and it was really cool. It had 2 footswitches and 2 knobs. One for compression and one for a treble boost. He said he made it because he couldn't find a comp that could give him those "jangly" Ric Byrds type tones so he made the Janglebox. It was pretty cool, the treble boost was really insane. If you kicked it on and rolled your guitars tone knob back just a hair, it sounded incredible. It made the tele sound a little "Ricken-ish" but still twangy. I'm trying to get him to send me one to demo. Idk how mug they cost though.

4. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

5. JesterR

JesterR Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

6. kupasa

kupasa Tele-Meister

Downsized to a nano board.

Attached Files:

7. Snowwizard

Snowwizard Tele-Holic

Awesome. I ran a nano all last summer. I loved how it made me really get to know those three pedals on my board.

8. kupasa

kupasa Tele-Meister

Yeah It's amazing how many different shades of tone you can squeeze out of three small boxes.

9. dbickford

dbickford Tele-Afflicted

Sweet! Delay and Fuzz. What more is there? Nice!

10. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I built this one after I scopped a DJ mixing table type flight case. I threw togher the wood frame, some paint, a Voodoo power system and a custom power jack. So nice, easy to move around, quick to set up and a little extra storage space for cords and what not.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. RyanJH

RyanJH Tele-Meister

Most recent iteration of my board. Still lots of room. I think I've got my dirt sorted...

[​IMG]

-Ryan

12. Seand70

Seand70 TDPRI Member

Built this frame. Too cheap to buy a pedal train.

Attached Files:

13. Audio Esoterica

Audio Esoterica Tele-Meister

bad link, post removed.

move along...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  14. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

This is a nice setup. The flight case is a good score and the board looks nice.

15. Dr.Guiler

Dr.Guiler NEW MEMBER!

What I've got going right now. Going to replace the dynacomp soon with either an EgoComp or a JHS Pulp n Peel.

Attached Files:

16. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Tele-Holic

How are you liking that Pedal Power 2? You playing bars with neon signs or other places with dirty power?

Can you give a before and after report by any chance ?

17. Audio Esoterica

Audio Esoterica Tele-Meister

Let's see if I did it right this time.

All straight into the amp's crunch channel with the gain at 8 o'clock.....the fx loop is footswitch operated, and the footswitch is broken. :rolleyes:

I just re-arranged again, and haven't cleaned up my cables at all. There used to be two more pedals and a Crate Powerblock on there; I'd just run a speaker cable to the cab and that was the rig. However, to shorten a convoluted and uninteresting story, I've switched back to a Peavey Triple XXX that was recently repaired. Bye-bye Powerblock, hello heavy lifting.

The loss of convenience is more than offset by what I've gained in the JUD-JAAAAAHHHHH Department.

Attached Files:

18. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Tele-Meister

Keep us posted if he sends you one, I'd be interested in hearing it and some reviews from a fellow TDPRI'er :)

G

19. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Tele-Meister

I want your boss delay, gary! :D:D:D

20. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Tele-Meister

I love Voodoo labs stuff! if you can stomach the cost, the VDL's Mondo is truly the ultimate in power supplies. just my .02 :D I run one with at least 1/2 dozen+ pedals and it's quite as a church!!!! Big and heavy sucker though!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.