Show us your Nash guitars

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by hemingway, Feb 18, 2020.

1. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

The more my guitars age, the more I like the feel of them (I just wish women felt the same about me).

I always sand the sticky off a new neck - or even sand the finish off the neck altogether and let my oily hands do their thing.

So I'm thinking that if I ever stumble over a pile of money in the street, a Nash will be the second thing I buy after a large Maker's Mark.

So if you got 'em, let's see 'em.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  2. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

I had a Nash T-63 and sold it. I have since built a bunch of MJT partscasters. Higher quality hardware, everything just the way I prefer, and cheaper. Less resale value too, though. Just another option you can consider.

Hard to compare the relic'ing between Nash and MJT since I prefer to have "closet classic" type relicing and my Nash was a heavy relic. But I can say that the Nash neck finishing felt really nice in my hands. They do good relic work, no doubt.

Basically you are paying for the Nash relicing and name. Otherwise, they are partscasters, nothing special. Simple instruments; these aren't acoustic guitars or something where a real luthier is needed to produce a good instrument. Any average Joe can screw one of these together and get a great result. The MJT bodies all have had perfect string alignment out of the box with Warmoth or Musikraft necks. I have made 8 of them and that's the problem, it becomes an addiction.

I didn't like the cheaper hardware on the Nash. And you are stuck with their specs as far as neck profile, frets, radius. I couldn't really get over the fact it was just an Allparts partscaster with a nice finish. Once I found the MJT eBay page, I lost interest in my Nash.

I've been playing stainless frets for several years now and it becomes increasingly difficult to go back to nickel. The stainless frets just don't wear. I'm not sure any Nash guitars would offer this. I also prefer jumbo 6100 wire and most of the Nash have 6150. I have my own radius preference too.

If you want to spec your tele just the way you want it, you can make one yourself and it's a very fun process. For less than the Nash, you can get top shelf hardware, pickups of your choice, profile/frets/radius of your choice, finish of your choice, woods of your choice and end up with what, IMO, is a nicer guitar.

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Only thing I'd disagree with you on, Ian, is that, having modded one Tele extensively, and "assembled" one from scratch, I have real admiration for people who can "build" one and get it right. When I "built" the one I did, it was with an unfinished body, routed for pickups but NOT drilled for bridge, and it required some thinking, planning, and careful execution to do. Since I used a "left-handed" bridge (for the different p/up "slant") I had to do additional routing for the bridge pickup. So, while it's not rocket science, I have respect for those who say "it's easy". After twenty years of practice and study, blowing neon glass was easy for me too......but I was proud of my skill and knowledge.

hemingway likes this.
  4. hemingway

What, no Nashes out there?

I don't believe it.

5. Vognell

Vognell Tele-Meister

I believe we have a couple.

nashville teles.jpg

Left to Right:
    1. Modern Player Telecaster: P-rail in bridge, quarter pound strat middle, quarter pound tele neck.
    2. Fender MIM Deluxe Nashville Telecaster: Stock. Still determining how I feel about the vintage noiseless pickups. Will add pull pot to allow neck/bridge combo.
    3. Peavey Generations EXP Tele-like guitar: Replaced electronics with guts from a 90s Telecaster plus, which include the Lace Sensor pickups, TBX tone pot, Neck/Bridge switch.

ZCatcher likes this.
  6. teletail

teletail Tele-Meister

I had a Nash fretless jazz bass. it was a very nice bass. I bought it used on a whim and wound up selling it because I rarely played fretless, but wound up with three through trades. I’d buy another Nash for the right price.

hemingway likes this.
  7. Vognell

Vognell Tele-Meister

Looks like I mistook "Nash" a guitar brand, for an abbreviated form of "Nashville Style Telecaster". I am an idiot.

New tele likes this.
  8. pagedr

pagedr TDPRI Member

I bought a used Nash having never played one before, and put it back up for sale within a week of receiving it. Just really didn't like the Lollar pickups and a couple other things such as, like Ian mentioned, the cheaper hardware. I love a lot of other PUs that Lollar makes, just never really thought his Tele PUs were anything special. I will say that the neck was very good, but I recently found a couple sellers on Reverb who do the same thing to Tele/Strat necks and feel just as nice as Nash and only cost around $200-$300. Not to echo Ian again, but the fact that you really can't customize a Nash all that much beyond the pre selected options they have is what gets me. Even if you're not handy/don't like the idea of building your own guitar, you could go on Reverb/eBay and buy all the parts for your perfect guitar, hand it off to a tech to completely assemble it for you, and still end up paying substantially less than a Nash. Just a thought.

Edit: Rereading this post, it comes off a bit as bashing Nash which was not my intention. Their guitars simply are not for me, but there are obviously plenty of players out there, big time musicians included (Nathaniel Rateliff, Chuck Prophet, etc), who love their Nash guitars. Just was giving an alternative perspective/option.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    hemingway likes this.
  9. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Hello! Welcome to the mis-posters club. Annual dues are $100 and we have meetings every fifth Thursday of the month around 7PM.

10. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

So here is the deal with Nash.

They do a lot of assembling but they also do some custom work as well.

I have a friend who has had a number of high end guitars. He says the fit and finish of the Nash it top knotch, and it played really well. Do they cut all their bodies in house? Probably not. Do they make their own necks? Probably not.

But they do assemble a fine guitar that plays well right out of the box.

hemingway likes this.
  11. hemingway

No worries. I aspire to idiocy.

12. skradlee

skradlee TDPRI Member

He means the brand Nash, not Nashville teles. Not that they aren't great guitars. (I got a heavy modded Nashville that started my tele addiction.)

13. ronstackman

ronstackman TDPRI Member

Here are 2 of my favorite guitars. Nash T69-TL's. Lightweight. Very resonant. They sound and play great. Put a soft spring in the Bigsby. I love them both.
    IMG_4544.jpg

milocj likes this.
  14. jahshoes

jahshoes NEW MEMBER!

Does anyone know if they do bone nuts, but default?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.