1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Show Us Your Latest 'Favorite' Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by JJLC, Aug 10, 2020.

1. djhblues

djhblues TDPRI Member

Beautiful guitar. I bought one in '06 a few months after they came out. I'm still in love with it. Everyone that plays it compliments the guitar- plays and sounds like a strat should. IMG_4912.JPG

awasson, JJLC, Rocky058 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

My favorite Strats and super Strats have not been Fenders. My all time favorite "Strat was a 1994 Washburn USA Chicago Custom Silverado. Transparent Red true Swamp ash body one piece quarter sawn maple neck Wilkerson 100 unique to those guitars Ghoto built Washburn labeled locking tuner and has a set of Duncan Texas Hot CS pickups I installed. Beautiful light weight incredibly resonate and a great player. I was doing the Church thing almost exclusively and could rarely use the guitar with true Single coils so eventually sold it. That was something have regretted for many years as those guitars are super rare and now can't find one that I really like.
    My current favorite guitar for Strat tones is my 20!& Kiesel DC 135. Strat tones through the middle with a Duncan 59 Custom Hybrid in te bridge set to auto tap with the AP 11 in the middle in pos 2. Neck through guitar with a Floyd that will play circles around any Fender with fit finish and workmanship that is sheer perfection.
    Her she was on the day I got t from my local GC was only a month old and absolutely flawless. Invoice was $1900 I walked out the door with it and the Black GG Hard case for a Grand flat and haven't put the guitar down since. PS now looking hard at a Kiesel Delos hardtail in S/S/S to go with it. Like this one https://www.kieselguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/140984

Keisel 1.jpg
    Here she is live with a little Country last Christmas through my PRS MT 15 at Church
    |
    She also rocks pretty hard same rig no effects other than a little verb in the loop here.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    elihu and JJLC like this.
  3. telefan62

telefan62 Tele-Meister

This one is my latest favorite for sure - 1980 The Strat in Lake Placid Blue. I’d never truly bonded with a Strat, preferring Teles, but I always dug my buddys version of this particular model. It’s not so, uhhhh....Strat-y. Anyway, I ran across one in pristine shape a few months ago, bought it and haven’t put it down since. Great guitar.

Attached Files:

Ezee and JJLC like this.
  4. JRush

JRush TDPRI Member

American Special body (routed using a TV Jones template), TV Jones Classics, Terrapin Guitars custom pickguard, Allparts SMO-Fat licensed neck. Presently torn back down for paint:

[​IMG]

Superswitch gives me Neck / Bridge in the "3" position, independent Tone control for Bridge pickup and no tone controls on the "2" and "4" positions a la Scott Henderson. Five very useful tone choices and none I wouldn't use.

VillainSean, mjstamos and JJLC like this.
  5. mjstamos

mjstamos Tele-Holic

I would be happy with any of these!
    [​IMG]

JunebugJones and JJLC like this.
  6. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

My 60th Anniversary Classic Player 50s Strat. For some reason it always reminded me of The Legend of Zelda, hence the stickers on the pickguard. The finish on the body is nitro, so I'm keeping it sticker-free.

IMG_2581.jpg

awasson and JJLC like this.
  7. Steve Lan

Steve Lan TDPRI Member

C664BEEF-64FE-4DB4-8C4D-4DC8BFC68AB8_1_201_a.jpeg 315E0299-12DD-417E-84BF-257FF5F61A5F_1_201_a.jpeg Fender Special Edition '54 American Vintage Thin Skin Stratocaster

garrett, elihu, Frisco 57 and 4 others like this.
  8. Jimi Earl

Jimi Earl TDPRI Member

My fave strat is my 2006 Highway 1 60th Anniversary shown here.

Attached Files:

Ezee, KT89 and JJLC like this.
  9. goldwax

goldwax Tele-Meister

Not really a Strat player, but when I saw a beautiful Sea Foam guitar on FB, I had to check it out. Paid $55 for this like-new Squier Bullet Strat. Loved the body, hated the neck. Found a Squier VM Jazzmaster neck on Reverb for only $75, and was shocked at what a great-playing and-sounding combo it turned out to be. The pickups are very decent but the trem is garbage.

I just ordered some SD lipsticks, a Tone Man wiring harness, a 3-ply white PG, a shorty block bridge assembly (since it has a thin body) and some Tele knobs and will turn it into the Sea Foam Surf Strat of my dreams. I’ll have just over $400 into it, which isn’t too bad for a great playing guitar.

[​IMG]

garrett and JJLC like this.
  10. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

This one is always my favorite, even though I have other Strats. It's a 2000 CS Time Machine 1960 Strat...a Christmas gift from my hunnie in 2004.

It is a Holy Grail guitar; I am extremely fortunate to have this one.

Click on the pic to embiggen it.

[​IMG]

garrett, elihu, Dietcokedream and 7 others like this.
  11. bdrhythm

bdrhythm TDPRI Member

I have owned 5 strats in my life. I was originally a "strat man", but since play a number of different guitars depending on my mood and the job at hand. My '81, cherry burst strat was stolen in I believe 1984. That was the only "real" strat I owned. Then I bought a custom made strat which I ended up refurbishing multiple times--the only original part left on it is the pickguard and the body. Everything else has been replaced. It has series/parallel switching and a blend knob and cap switch which puts it into a league of it's own. Has the last Kahler Killer that Gary Kahler had on his shelf in his garage (replacing the original chrome Kahler that wore out). It's a fantastic guitar and hand relic'd by years of gigs and sessions. I call her, "Blondie". Then I have "Purlply", which I just rebuilt and modded (another custom strat). It is also in a league of it's own. One push/pull for series/parallel with single coils instead of hb's. Also has a blend knob. The neck is a brand new warmoth custom neck with a 1 3/4 inch nut--wider than your average bear! This guitar has an awesome sound and plays differently than any other strat I've owned or played. Very unique with the wide neck and 10-16" radius. I still have a badly beaten up, Bobs_von_Frankenstrat.jpg Purply Super Strat.JPG cheap, black squire strat. I put a midi pickup on it because it's a dog, but used for one thing--as a midi guitar controller. I use that exclusively in the studio. I've never changed the strings on it LOL! Ouch! (no pic of the squire)

JJLC likes this.
  12. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I like how your amp looks like it wants to kill your mama, but then you arranged stuffed animals on it. Kind of a interesting duality going on there.

I am in the idea-gathering phase for a future Strat build, and at the moment I am pretty taken with this:

swany and JJLC like this.
  13. pblanton

pblanton TDPRI Member

I have five, but the latest - hence my current favorite - is a frankenstrat that I built out of used parts I had laying around. About six months ago I found a 92 American Peavey strat that was a bit mis-aligned its whole life. Someone had tried to "fix" it by grinding the side of the neck down to fit into neck pocket at a slight angle so that the strings would align a little better. It was a mess.

They had however, replaced the old Peavey electronics with a loaded Fender USA pickguard, replaced the tuners with Fender, locking ones, and all the old parts were included. I talked a lot of trash about the horrible work done to it, and begrudgingly paid the guy $75 for it.

I searched for a while for a nice 60's style neck but finally tried a custom made, flamey maple neck with real MOP dots, from a Chinese manufacturer for which I paid $80; though it took forever to arrive from China during a pandemic. I also bought a new Wilkinson bridge for it, because the aftermarket bridge they had on it was all black and I didn't like the look.

Electronics-wise, I took the original fender USA electronics and wax-potted the pickups, re-wired it with a vintage three-way switch to the neck and bridge pups, and wired up the middle pickup to the middle knob as a blend pot - Nashville Telecaster-style. I carefully sanded the middle knob to remove the "TONE" label. I LOVE this strat setup and highly recommend it. It's a bit more versatile than the standard 5-way switch configuration. You can find the wiring diagram on Seymour Duncan's website, but you have to search for it as I cannot deep-link their wiring diagrams. Search for three single coil pickups, one volume, one tone, one blend and a three-way switch. I really like the sound of all three pickups (switch in middle position and blend pot all the way up), which is something you cannot get with a standard setup.

I finished assembling it the other night. The action is still a bit high over the higher frets for my taste due to a little too much neck relief, but since the trussrod adjustment is in the neck pocket, I'm just dealing with it for now. Otherwise it's pretty slick and sounds great.

2020-08-14_12-06-03.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    JJLC likes this.
  14. VillainSean

VillainSean Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I'm in love!

15. VillainSean

VillainSean Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

2001 American Standard "Sophi". IMG_0595.JPG

garrett, awasson and JJLC like this.
  16. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Meister

1999 American Standard Ash Strat. 6.7 lbs. balances perfect on the strap, sounds and plays great. Played it almost every day for the past 21 years. Owned a half a dozen other Strats over the last 30+ years, but this is the only one I've held onto.

1999 Strat.jpg

JJLC and Treehouse like this.
  17. Torvald

Torvald TDPRI Member

Candlenut wood body/ Mighty Mite neck partscaster. Compound radius, Bootstrap Golden Ale pickups and a Wilkinson 2 point trem. As you can see it weighs a hair over 6 lbs. Fender classic gear tuners. Fralin blender. 20200814_195325.jpg 20200814_195641.jpg

garrett, elihu, awasson and 2 others like this.
  18. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic

Probably the last Fender Strat I will ever have: IMG_20200810_112400.jpg
    50th Anniversary with ash body, nice and light, Lawrence designed samarium cobalt noiseless p'ups, 5-way with S-1 switch, capable of the most Stratty or the least Stratty sound I have ever heard out of one guitar. My apologies for the sunburst; it's still my favorite Strat finish.

garrett, elihu, JJLC and 2 others like this.
  19. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

I've owned quite a few Strat's over the years. The one that I've kept is a '95 American Standard in Sonic Blue that I bough new in '97, it's heavily modded (the mod's are completely reverse-able).

The latest addition is a Custom made instrument by luthier Ron Lira that has Duncan pick-ups, a real Floyd Rose trem., the body is Pau Ferro and the neck is Wenge.

It's a heavy beast (two pounds heavier than my Les Paul) but plays and sounds great!

JJLC likes this.
  20. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

Very nice. I have an American Standard in Olympic White I bought in 99 so have a soft spot for this era. Great guitar, although it's taken me years to really appreciate it. Yours is very light weight, mine's 7lb 13!

Maguchi likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.