1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Show Us Your La Cabronita (and clones)!!!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Jeff_K, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. z.cartman

z.cartman TDPRI Member

Kai, the board

Howdy everyone!

This is Zolee Cartman from Hungary! I'm a new member on this forum. I'd like to show you my Cabronita!
    Warmoth wood, Stewmac hardware, TV Jones and Fralin pickups.

2piece alder body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, SRV contour, compound radius, 6105 SS frets, 1 11/16 nut width, gold hardware, Gotoh tuners, Stewmac brass bridge, TV Jones MagnaTron in the neck position, Lindy Fralin Steel Poled 43 (neck model!!!!!) in the bridge, 250 volume pot with a cap (tonebleed, from Stewmac), bone nut. No tummy cut. Almond oil (4 coats) and Warwick beeswax finish. Great sustain.
    I made the forearm cut myself because the standard strat cut is too much for me. Still comfy, less wood removed.

People say humbuckers sound darker with 250 potmeters. In this case this statement fails. This guitar cuts thru anything. I made the forearm cut myself because the regular 'strat' version is too much for me. Home made neck plate made of a thick piece of rusty steel. SRV contour: not that thick at all but I like it!

I took this thing and went down to the rehearsal room. Everybody was shocked by the tone. This guitar was 2 days old when I played our first gig. I played it thru a crancked DSL50 with my DIY 212 cabinet loaded with Eminence Private Jacks. The other guitarist plays a Diezel VH4 (with a V30 Laboga 412). We also got a Hammond M3, Marshall 100 watt tube bass amp with 412 cab, drumkit with tons of cymbals...and a strong singer.
    I used no pedals, just straight into the amp and used the guitar's volume pot for cleaner tones (á la Walter Trout/Richie Kotzen). I did cut thru!!!!!! The guitar DID CUT thru!!!!!!!

I bought the MagnaTron because I liked the description. To me...it doesn't sound like a single-coil. It is a very bright humbucker. I was kinda disappointed, because first it sounded sterile. I like dark tone pickups. But it has a great tone in the band and this is what matters indeed! I put my buddy's Steel Poled 43 neck pickup into the bridge for fun. When my luthier friend finished assembling the guitar we put it on a silverface Twin with a modded TS9. This combination works darn well! I was afraid if the Fralin was gonna be too much but it is absolutely alright. We were shocked by the tone. Definitely shocked.

I'll give the SP43 back to my buddy and order the same thing with black cover and gold plated poles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. slap dat

slap dat Tele-Meister

I just picked this up a couple of days ago. I'm really digging the tone of the TV Jones.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. z.cartman

z.cartman TDPRI Member

I'm sure it counts!

4. SeanMichel

SeanMichel NEW MEMBER!

Sg for Cabronita?

I have a 2000 Gibson SG Special that I may be trading for a custom made Cabronita. The pictures are the exact one, it has the pickgaurd now. It's was made by a local luthier and comes with a hardcase, it's alder with a TV Jones Filtertron Pickup, Vintage style brass saddles, and an AllParts Vintage Style Telecaster Neck. I was wondering if this would be a good deal for me or not, any help will be appreciated.

Attached Files:

• cab.jpg
      cab.jpg
      File size:
      50.7 KB
      Views:
    • cab2.jpg
      cab2.jpg
      File size:
      7.9 KB
      Views:
  5. vespa1

vespa1 Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

Logan Custom

6. hartwell

hartwell TDPRI Member

I love this one - I was thinking about a second build and was considering a body with an f-hole - looks really nice. I'm a big fan of dyes as well, so I really dig the transparent green finish. I'd probably put some gold hardware on it with the green but that's just a personal thing - this one is a looker, especially with that binding. This Cabronita is definitely moving uptown!

What pickups did you go with and what is the control setup e.g. 2 volume, 1 tone?

Congrats!

7. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Assembled from a blacktop telecaster. Next to my american tele and some of my dirty laundry

Attached Files:

8. vespa1

vespa1 Tele-Meister

Thanks, The neck pickup is a t.v. classic in the neck and a powertron in the bridge. 2 volume pots, 1 tone push pull coil tap for bridge pickup (which really honks when split).

9. hartwell

hartwell TDPRI Member

Cool stuff! That's a really unique setup - I wondered about splitting those powertrons. What amp(s) do you drive?

10. vespa1

vespa1 Tele-Meister

Vintage 47 Bronson for practice/rehearsals
    Victoria Victoriette for small gigs
    Tweed Bandmaster clone for medium/large gigs
    Gomez El Sonido or 64 Bassman for outdoor gigs, very large gigs or when I need a lot of clean headroom.

11. phillip lee

phillip lee TDPRI Member

Sorry, didn't have a Tele body. TV Supertron, Warmoth guard, Neville Bros. wiring harnes, Rick copy knobs. Now a Baritone with a custom neck.

Attached Files:

12. chillman

chillman Tele-Afflicted

Here is my just-finished Sherwood Green Metallic Cabronita homebuild! A few differences: this has a pine body (VERY light, the whole guitar is ~7lbs), vintage style tuners, and a 70s-style bridge and saddles. Rosewood instead of maple and a tortoise rear control cover just for a little accent. The pickup is a TVJ powertron.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Jimmy Rocket

Jimmy Rocket Tele-Holic

Wow, that's hot!

Love the neck tint on that one.

14. RollingStone82

RollingStone82 TDPRI Member

Me too, this is by far my favourite!

15. wahscoot

wahscoot Tele-Meister

All nice :)

16. Jazzerstang

Jazzerstang Tele-Afflicted

sunkidd:

:p:eek::eek::D:D:D
    [​IMG]

17. James J LaRue

James J LaRue Tele-Meister

I've got a strat hardtail bridge and lots of lumber and a couple bodies already shaped with no routes yet...these pics are indeed inspiring. I love some of the choices y'all have made with knobs, colors, variations from the genuine article. That's one area where I'm always glad to see DIY guitars, for the new ideas and inspiration. I may need to grab a neck and some o'these thar funky pickups and try it out. I still can't seem to get the ferrule holes lined up nicely on the back even with a template, was thinking about having a thick metal drill guide with 6 perfect holes made up...but whenever I have extra cash I'd rather buy parts.

It may be getting too far from the Cabronita concept, but I also thought about doin a Brian May type pickup set, maybe that strat-sized of "brighton inspired" ones from GFS. I love the P-90 route and look but usually not the tone so much. I also considered a humbucker in p-90 package, as available from DiMarzio, etc. But I wanna keep the simple look. Makes me think of the standard Tele more like a motorcycle with all kids of unneeded chrome bolted on to it!

18. Karter01

Karter01 TDPRI Member

Here's mine, a one-off from the custom shop. ;)
    Definitely one of my favorites.

[​IMG]

19. lauke

lauke Tele-Meister

Chillman: That is looking GREAT!

I hope to show something along the lines of this before the end of the year.
    [​IMG]

Without the trem that is. I'm still in doubt wether to make it a string through or a top loader. It'll be my first real build after a cigar box thingamajig and I don't know if I'm up to it. I'm a bloody perfectionist, so I'll hate myself forever if the ferrules wouldn't line up properly :p

20. Dellis

Dellis Tele-Meister

Wow, love it! Really, really. But I think the Bigsby makes it...

D.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.