Show us your desk!

ladewd

TDPRI Member
Here’s mine but the picture is from a few years ago. Things have changed a bit. Now I got rid of the mixer & have an Apollo interface in the rack on the desk.
A28DAE9C-6613-4202-922C-853E11B663BD.jpeg

Last edited:

skipwave

TDPRI Member
Looks like a Zulu on the left side of your desk. I played with one of those for tracking a while back. Interesting unit.

good eye, it is indeed a ZULU

Such a weird beast, a passive tape emulator. It sounds good, real good. Like tape? Sorta. Good? Yes, very much yes.

FortyEight

Tele-Afflicted
This is an inspirational thread. I’m in the middle of planning a new desk with some hardware synths and drum machines, as well as a DAW setup. I’m still in the thinking/research phase but it’s going to need to incorporate stuff I already have:

MacBook Pro running either Ableton Live or Logic
Focusrite Clarett 2Pre
Korg Minilogue XD
Waldorf Blofeld module
Arturia Keystep Pro
Arturia Drum Brute
Korg Volca Drum
A couple small Mackie and Behringer mixers

My goal is to be able to write without the DAW, but then record and arrange inside the DAW. It looks like some of you have setups that would make this possible. Gonna keep watching this thread.

By the time I record, I have all the parts worked out. Except drums. Although many times I know what he's gonna do roughly cuz we do a demo with phones. Or I send him a phone demo of me playing and singing. Then he sends drums attached to it back. Then I can practice lead and bass parts and harmonies etc. Singing while driving is nice place to work things out. LOL.

It's just me and another guy. @bryansbraun So if you're by yourself it should be even simpler to figure out before recording.... So to speak. LOL. But not everyone does things that way. And sometimes I will add in a new line (or 2 or a dozen lol) that I didn't think I was gonna, when recording. The moment strikes... But mostly it's all thought out and worked out ahead of time.

studio

Poster Extraordinaire
Okay, here's some pics of my personal studio
in which I do songwriting, recordings of friends,
live streaming and video production.

Here we have 2 Allen & Heath mixers routed into each other
for a total of 48+ inputs.

IMG_20210720_132214.jpg

Side view of the same work area with my battle worn Sports Sounds Pro software,
XR18 app on the tablet, Auratone mono speaker and Behringer XR18 module.
IMG_20210719_133558.jpg

My work area from the couch:
IMG_20210720_131633.jpg

Two modern analog synths and a Yamaha E443.
IMG_20210720_131710.jpg

More keys in the tracking space. Moog Prodigy and Axiom 49 I found on the side
of the road. That room and entire studio was built by my good friend
Rene Rivera who built The Eagles When Hell Freezes Over Concert stage.
If you've seen the video, you've seen Rene's work. RIP.
IMG_20210720_132016.jpg

Sorry for the mess, but it is a working space as well as a work in progress. Thanks.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Okay, here's some pics of my personal studio
in which I do songwriting, recordings of friends,
live streaming and video production.

Here we have 2 Allen & Heath mixers routed into each other
for a total of 48+ inputs.

View attachment 882281

Side view of the same work area with my battle worn Sports Sounds Pro software,
XR18 app on the tablet, Auratone mono speaker and Behringer XR18 module.
View attachment 882277

My work area from the couch:
View attachment 882278

Two modern analog synths and a Yamaha E443.
View attachment 882279

More keys in the tracking space. Moog Prodigy and Axiom 49 I found on the side
of the road. That room and entire studio was built by my good friend
Rene Rivera who built The Eagles When Hell Freezes Over Concert stage.
If you've seen the video, you've seen Rene's work. RIP.
View attachment 882280

Sorry for the mess, but it is a working space as well as a work in progress. Thanks.

Nice set up , well laid out . Much more comprehensive than mine but its me making noise here LOL

A&H make some Nice toys , congrats

studio

Poster Extraordinaire
Nice set up , well laid out . Much more comprehensive than mine but its me making noise here LOL

A&H make some Nice toys , congrats

Thanks man!

Funny thing is I once made a decision to go the
Allen & Heath route because of their transparent
sounding mic pre vs. the Midas mixing consoles
at the time.

The A&H had all the right insert points and routing made
easier especially during setup on events, but I often used
Midas boards and their mic pres sounded so musical, so
colorful and very much tainted your sound in a good way!

Today, Behringer has all their marketing touting the
Midas mic pres as being super transparent and I just
have to laugh my Latinass off!

Midas made a name for themselves with colored mic pres!
Their routing capabilities were a bit lacking for my jobs.

So now I run the Behringer XR18 (Midas Pres) with my A&H
desk and bad karma be damned! Lol.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Thanks man!

Funny thing is I once made a decision to go the
Allen & Heath route because of their transparent
sounding mic pre vs. the Midas mixing consoles
at the time.

The A&H had all the right insert points and routing made
easier especially during setup on events, but I often used
Midas boards and their mic pres sounded so musical, so
colorful and very much tainted your sound in a good way!

Today, Behringer has all their marketing touting the
Midas mic pres as being super transparent and I just
have to laugh my Latinass off!

Midas made a name for themselves with colored mic pres!
Their routing capabilities were a bit lacking for my jobs.

So now I run the Behringer XR18 (Midas Pres) with my A&H
desk and bad karma be damned! Lol.

I have a friend with a Behringer X32 fully loaded on many levels running Dante , I always thought of the Midas M32 for just a few dollars more , but the quality would be little more profound than the X 32 and it takes the same periferills ( spelling?) I wonder how they would do in a head to head comperison.

both nice boards and actually not different in price point.

At Water Street Sound we had 2 neve console in studio A and studio B controll room tethered by a Necam set up for full automation and expansion.

For studio C they checked out the Amek angela and an automated A&H Marty Hasselbach, the manager went with the A&H and I only heard great things about it , never got to use it though .

studio

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a friend with a Behringer X32 fully loaded on many levels running Dante , I always thought of the Midas M32 for just a few dollars more , but the quality would be little more profound than the X 32 and it takes the same periferills ( spelling?) I wonder how they would do in a head to head comperison.

At Water Street Sound we had 2 neve console in studio A and studio B controll room tethered by a Necam set up for full automation and expansion.

For studio C they checked out the Amek angela and an automated A&H Marty Hasselbach, the manager went with the A&H and I only heard great things about it , never got to use it though .

Talking about Neve is talking about transparent!

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Talking about Neve is talking about transparent!

it was a monster for sure , 48 channels studio A, 36 in studio B = 84 channels total but the necam was the trick , sync'd both units as one. and could be operated in its entirty from either control room.

so Alex a friend of mine is working in studio A late one night and thinking he is alone in the building , he set his mix, eq , effects and just cruising by himself, ( no one around he broke the cardinal rule , he lights one up and finishes ), he starts the play back again , shuts his eyes and is lost in what he is doing ,all of a suden all of the motorized faders are flying every where all by them selves , talk about a wake up call ,

studio B was being used for a mix down , so the engineer saw alex, waited till alex a was saphonsified adiquitly then popped on the Necam and took controll of studio A , Alex was flapping like a fish out of water ......Busted

a good laugh by all.

Last edited:

studio

Poster Extraordinaire
it was a monster for sure , 48 channels studio A, 36 in studio B = 84 channels total but the necam was the trick , sync'd both units as one. and could be operated in its entirty from either control room.

so Alex a friend of mine is working in studio A late one night and thinking he is alone in the building , he set his mix, eq , effects and just cruising by himself, ( no one around he broke the cardinal rule , he lights one up and finishes ), he starts the play back again , shuts his eyes and is lost in what he is doing ,all of a suden all of the motorized faders are flying every where all by them selves , talk about a wake up call ,

studio B was being used for a mix down , so the engineer saw alex, waited till alex a was saphonsified adiquitly then popped on the Necam and took controll of studio A , Alex was flapping like a fish out of water ......Busted

a good laugh by all.

Lol!

The only thing smokin' in my studio is the guitar player!

Although, this is California, and there's medicine everywhere!

studio

Poster Extraordinaire

I very much need to run Dante these days.

However.....$$$.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
mine is a similar design except I put a 42 inch desk top to add a keyboard drawer for my kurzweil K 2000 synth , I left the desk top modular , so I could expand it if I needed to

I put rack rails on the back of the console for headphone patchbays , poweramps , 8 auxillery in inputs and power requirments

the compuslory test fit, LOL

PB290302.JPG
PB290305.JPG

the final install

IMG_0021.JPG

Last edited:

Rich_S

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
The moving truck will be here Friday, so my "studio" has now been reduced from "minimalist" to "non-existent".
IMG_1098.jpg

Once we get settled in the new place I hope to get around to doing a couple things I never bothered with here, namely honest-to-God monitors (Kali, most likely) and some modest room treatment.

studio

Poster Extraordinaire
The moving truck will be here Friday, so my "studio" has now been reduced from "minimalist" to "non-existent". View attachment 896457
Once we get settled in the new place I hope to get around to doing a couple things I never bothered with here, namely honest-to-God monitors (Kali, most likely) and some modest room treatment.

Cool space.
Kali has some very affordable speakers.
I have that very same rug design in my
mix area. Great minds, and all that!
Thanks for sharing!