Show us your desk!

Chud

Poster Extraordinaire
When I first started planning out what I wanted in (on?) my desk in 2017, I started googling 1/4" patchbays, and became completely baffled with the terminology: Full-normal? Half-Normal? De-Normal? Plus, I had read that 1/4" jacks sometimes don't play nice with phantom power to microphones. Since I wasn't planning to have that much outboard gear, and thus wasn't going to be swapping hardware around all that much while mixing, I decided to go with an XLR patchbay, and since Sweetwater had the ART patchbays in their catalog, decided to go with a pair of them, which have worked great. Here's an early photo from 2017 that shows both of them, and my DIY Brother P-Touch labeling:

i-d8SZggr-X2.jpg

I have a Samson 1/4" patchbay that works pretty well, but doesn't pass phantom power as you noted. I still don't fully get the whole half/full/de-normal thing either. Lol. With the new desk, I want the inputs in the front like you have, be able to pass phantom power, and be able to run outboard gear on dedicated ins/outs, so I'm likely going with the exact same patchbay setup.

I also do the p-touch DIY labeling, though I like the black tape better than the white I have on the old set up lol:

00P0P_c9gXTHfWgxAz_0CI0lM_600x450.jpg

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I have a Samson 1/4" patchbay that works pretty well, but doesn't pass phantom power as you noted. I still don't fully get the whole half/full/de-normal thing either. Lol. With the new desk, I want the inputs in the front like you have, be able to pass phantom power, and be able to run outboard gear on dedicated ins/outs, so I'm likely going with the exact same patchbay setup.

I also do the p-touch DIY labeling, though I like the black tape better than the white I have on the old set up lol:

View attachment 878142

this may help

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/how-to-use-a-patchbay/

Chud

Poster Extraordinaire

I know, my response was mostly in jest. Lol, thanks though Paris.

On my new desk build, I've decided to slim down the rack bay widths by mounting the equipment directly to the tops of the angled rack bay sides instead of using mounted rails inside the bays. That saves me 4" across the entire desk, which is pretty substantial in the space I have. It was going to be an 87" wide desk which I could make work, but an 83" wide desk will be even slimmer than my current desk that comes in at about 85-86" depending on where you measure it on the side wings.

matman14

Tele-Meister

View attachment 878142
I use those Sansom patchbays in my compressor/eq racks in thru mode too, where nothing is going to pass phantom power.
In that scenario at least for me, it doesn't make sense to have the connections normalled. I just want a thru connection to the input our output of a device. There just wasn't a logical way for me to do it normalled.

The mini patch on my desk I do have set in full normalled mode. It's my primary chain for tracking vox, so is usually my starting point.
full

full

So on my desk, with nothing plugged into the front of the patchbay, the signal chain goes Pre->EQ->Bluey 1176->LA3A->converter (in a separate rack).
I can then patch to change the order or add things from other racks or remove things from that chain if I need to. It's a big time and cable saver.
The XLR connections are straight thru and will pass phantom power if needed

Last edited:

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
Music room panorama. Desk is my Dad's old office desk. All the lights are just being stored there until I distribute some of them out to the workshop. LOL, that case at the bottom is for storing really bent banjos...:eek: Far left is a 19-teens Brunswick phonograph with an Edison cylinder machine on top. The Brunswick will play both lateral and vertical records.

Once I get some more room out in the workshop (to store empty cases), I'll install an instrument hanging system and put that pile of instruments up on the walls.

20210715_104409.jpg

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Music room panorama. Desk is my Dad's old office desk. All the lights are just being stored there until I distribute some of them out to the workshop. LOL, that case at the bottom is for storing really bent banjos...:eek: Far left is a 19-teens Brunswick phonograph with an Edison cylinder machine on top. The Brunswick will play both lateral and vertical records.

Once I get some more room out in the workshop (to store empty cases), I'll install an instrument hanging system and put that pile of instruments up on the walls.

View attachment 878168

the magic is in the final invisionment of the space you have to work with and as it unfolds gives you a real sence of creativity and inspiration , cant wait to see the final outcome .

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I use those Sansom patchbays in my compressor/eq racks in thru mode too, where nothing is going to pass phantom power.
In that scenario at least for me, it doesn't make sense to have the connections normalled. I just want a thru connection to the input our output of a device. There just wasn't a logical way for me to do it normalled.

The mini patch on my desk I do have set in full normalled mode. It's my primary chain for tracking vox, so is usually my starting point.
full

full

So on my desk, with nothing plugged into the front of the patchbay, the signal chain goes Pre->EQ->Bluey 1176->LA3A->converter (in a separate rack).
I can then patch to change the order or add things from other racks or remove things from that chain if I need to. It's a big time and cable saver.
The XLR connections are straight thru and will pass phantom power if needed

very nice setup

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
as we have had some posts about patchbays , I am designing a patch bay system that allows me to move 16 channels of balanced line audio over 4 shielded Cat 6 RJ45 cables , I have most of the components now I just need about 200' of shielded Cat6 cabling to make a 50"loom , this will allow me to run balanced lines with phantom power if i need to , the rack unit will have power switching for 4 A/C outlets and a separate USB run , once it is finished i will post pics

those 16 channels could 8 X ins ,8 X outs , 16 X ins or any combination upto 16 etc it depends on on how i terminate the ends

this is the rack units I'll use

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

whole tone

TDPRI Member
you guys have all seen mine before , but what the heck .....

My newly finished synth sytem it has gotten slightly bigger since i took this

View attachment 877031

my desk and command center

View attachment 877032
my upgraded studio rack

View attachment 877033
some of my amps ( theres many more)

View attachment 877034

I wish i had more room I could use it.LOL
Freaking Beautiful!
you guys have all seen mine before , but what the heck .....

My newly finished synth sytem it has gotten slightly bigger since i took this

View attachment 877031

my desk and command center

View attachment 877032
my upgraded studio rack

View attachment 877033
some of my amps ( theres many more)

View attachment 877034

I wish i had more room I could use it.LOL

Freaking Beautiful!

JModz

TDPRI Member
This thread makes me feel incredibly inadequate with my little Zoom R16 and Cubase.

Inadequate?! That’s crazy talk. I still have my R8 and I’ll use it for remote podcasts are 2-3 piece live act to record. I’ll take those individual tracks and import them to my rig in the studio to start mixing, eq’ing, gating and all that w outboard gear I to pro-tools, the run it out thru the board tape out into a Sonic Maximizer, 31band dual EQ in a 1/4 tape machine and then back out into an RU8 Rack recorder (done). Still need that R8 tho!!!!!

point is…. If you use it, you earned your right to post.

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Inadequate?! That’s crazy talk. I still have my R8 and I’ll use it for remote podcasts are 2-3 piece live act to record. I’ll take those individual tracks and import them to my rig in the studio to start mixing, eq’ing, gating and all that w outboard gear I to pro-tools, the run it out thru the board tape out into a Sonic Maximizer, 31band dual EQ in a 1/4 tape machine and then back out into an RU8 Rack recorder (done). Still need that R8 tho!!!!!

point is…. If you use it, you earned your right to post.
I was being a bit tongue in cheek with my comment, but I do appreciate the support from both you and 24 track.
The R16 has served us phenomenally well, recording our 3 piece over the past 9-10 years. There's no other piece of gear in that price range that would have given us the ability to record 8 separate tracks simultaneously, and it does that quite well.
Well enough that we went with the Livetrak L20 as our new mixer. We haven't used that to record really (as of yet), but having the mixer and recorder all in one will be really nice for gigs, once we decide to start looking for those again.

matman14

Tele-Meister
I keep this next to the desk too.
Apart from being a handy place to keep a guitar to twiddle on, about three maybe four years ago I started decorating it.
Anytime gear, people, stuff comes through here with a promo sticker, we add it to the case. It's kinda fun and a good memento.
full

Last edited:

jondanger

Poster Extraordinaire
This is an inspirational thread. I’m in the middle of planning a new desk with some hardware synths and drum machines, as well as a DAW setup. I’m still in the thinking/research phase but it’s going to need to incorporate stuff I already have:

MacBook Pro running either Ableton Live or Logic
Focusrite Clarett 2Pre
Korg Minilogue XD
Waldorf Blofeld module
Arturia Keystep Pro
Arturia Drum Brute
Korg Volca Drum
A couple small Mackie and Behringer mixers

My goal is to be able to write without the DAW, but then record and arrange inside the DAW. It looks like some of you have setups that would make this possible. Gonna keep watching this thread.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
This is an inspirational thread. I’m in the middle of planning a new desk with some hardware synths and drum machines, as well as a DAW setup. I’m still in the thinking/research phase but it’s going to need to incorporate stuff I already have:

MacBook Pro running either Ableton Live or Logic
Focusrite Clarett 2Pre
Korg Minilogue XD
Waldorf Blofeld module
Arturia Keystep Pro
Arturia Drum Brute
Korg Volca Drum
A couple small Mackie and Behringer mixers

My goal is to be able to write without the DAW, but then record and arrange inside the DAW. It looks like some of you have setups that would make this possible. Gonna keep watching this thread.

you are off to a great start and have every thing you need , I went with the Mackie 1604 VLZ because I wanted 4 sub groups and they are really flexable with 4 effect sends , I have 2 keysteps and they work really well with my alesis DM5 drum brain , (I have the pads if I want set up a full kit , no room at this point )

Last edited: